Wiki Posts
Search

"Discovery" fare class ???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

RTW "Discovery" fare class ???

Hi,

I'm a newbie here from France, and preparing a RTW trip for my honeymoon in June. I saw a fare called "discovery fare" on travelbag.co.uk (check out the fare rules here ).

So my itinerary would be :

LHR-NRT-CNS-SYD-NAN-LAX-NYC-LHR

The airlines are BA - QF and FJ (Air Pacific).

But the question is what class is used for this fare in economy ??? Because I'm using KVS to try to prepare the trip !

Thanks a lot ^
npollet

Last edited by npollet; Mar 8, 2005 at 12:36 pm
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The Discovery ticket has always been booked in M class. The fare basis is MxDIS2 . For a extra charge of about USD200 you can book it in H class HxDIS2

( x is the season L,J,K,H ) . My experience is that it can be slightly cheaper if booked directly with QF on their own Nett fare rather than the published edition. The ticket can be extended to 32,500 miles for an additional free of GBP270

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 8, 2005 at 1:53 pm
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The Discovery ticket has always been booked in M class. The fare basis is MxDIS2 . For a extra charge of about USD200 you can book it in H class HxDIS2

( x is the season L,J,K,H ) . My experience is that it can be slightly cheaper if booked directly with QF on their own Nett fare rather than the published edition. The ticket can be extended to 32,500 miles for an additional free of GBP270

Dave
Thanks Dave

So I need to look for a seat in the "M" bucket in KVS on all three airlines, right ?

Thanks
npollet
Old Mar 9, 2005, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by npollet
Thanks Dave

So I need to look for a seat in the "M" bucket in KVS on all three airlines, right ?

Thanks
npollet
Indeed. If you are collecting FF miles, then the H class can be recommended since you will earn 100% miles in H class rather than the restricted amounts that can be earned in M. e.g. BA in M credited to most schemes earn 25% miles compared to the 100% earned in H. On top of that of course, you will have a lot more ease making changes to the ticket later

Dave
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:44 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Does anyone have the full fare rules for the Discovery fare? (Can't see fare rules on Expedia).

What cities is it good from? Can you do open jaws?

I'm getting the following fare quoted:
LHR-ORD-AUS on BA
DFW-LAX-SYD-POM on QF
POM-BNE-LAX-DFW on QF
IAH-LHR on BA

in H-class for just over $3k (eek!!) But for when I'm wanting to go it actually works out cheaper to buy an AUS-LHR R/T then the Discovery fare, than to buy a separate AUS-LHR and AUS-POM. (I'd prefer to end in MAD if possible)
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Does anyone have the full fare rules for the Discovery fare? (Can't see fare rules on Expedia).

What cities is it good from? Can you do open jaws?

I'm getting the following fare quoted:
LHR-ORD-AUS on BA
DFW-LAX-SYD-POM on QF
POM-BNE-LAX-DFW on QF
IAH-LHR on BA

in H-class for just over $3k (eek!!) But for when I'm wanting to go it actually works out cheaper to buy an AUS-LHR R/T then the Discovery fare, than to buy a separate AUS-LHR and AUS-POM. (I'd prefer to end in MAD if possible)

The basic fare rules can be seen on travelocity and the routing you have given would seem to be valid ( depending on number of stopovers desired... max 7 total with no more than 3 within AU and no more than 3 in NZ)

The published low season HLDIS2 fare is USD2076 and the published MLDIS2 is USD1687 according to travelocity . You can do surface sectors , though the mileage for the surface sector will be counted. It is a v good value ticket for those wanting a simple trip to Asia/Australia/Americal compared to OWEs plus are in better booking classes

Looking at the Qantas UK website at the special offers ( http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...WorldDiscovery ) there are some v basic details about it. I believe that this fare does not auto price so expedia would not quote it.

World Discovery Plus
The ultimate ticket to Australia and New Zealand with a choice of 7 global stopovers in the Americas, Africa and Asia. From GBP973

All prices quoted are return economy class promotional fares exclusive of taxes and airport related charges.

A maximum of 3 stopovers in Australia and 3 in New Zealand permitted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terms:
Fares: All prices quoted are return economy class promotional fares exclusive of taxes and airport related charges. Fare listings are for general information only and are not a reflection of current seat availability. Subject to change/cancellation without notice.
Travel Period: Valid for departures from the UK between 20 April 2005 to 30 June 2005. Travel is permitted on Qantas, British Airways, Air Pacific and Australian Airlines flights.
Sale period: Valid for sale until 30 June 2005.
Maximum stay: Return travel from the last international stopover must commence no later than 12 months after initial departure.
Mileage: Total journey must not exceed 29,000 miles (additional mileage may be purchased).
Reservations & Ticketing: Reservations for all sectors must be confirmed at the time of ticketing. Tickets must be issued at least 60 days prior to travel or within 14 days of booking. Child and Infants discounts apply.
Rebooking: Date changes permitted within the ticket validity subject to a local service fee. Prices for travel at other times are available on application.
Rerouting: One without charge before departure and GBP50 per reroute thereafter subject to a local service fee.
Cancellations: Before departure GBP200 for cancellation/no show. After departure non refundable.

Dave
Old May 6, 2005, 5:53 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Indeed. If you are collecting FF miles, then the H class can be recommended since you will earn 100% miles in H class rather than the restricted amounts that can be earned in M. e.g. BA in M credited to most schemes earn 25% miles compared to the 100% earned in H. On top of that of course, you will have a lot more ease making changes to the ticket later
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm trying to find info on the Discovery product. I called QF here in the USA and they told me it was booked in L class.

However, they knew very little about the product (since it is not ex-USA) and also told me there is no MPM.

So... M class for sure?
Old May 7, 2005, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by jridge
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm trying to find info on the Discovery product. I called QF here in the USA and they told me it was booked in L class.

However, they knew very little about the product (since it is not ex-USA) and also told me there is no MPM.

So... M class for sure?
As I said in the other thread, it's M class for the cheaper and H class for the more expensive

Fare basis for the Discovery Plus is MxDIS2 or HxDIS2 where x is replaced by the character indicating season, either L,J,K or H

I expect that the US staff have little or no knowledge of the product since it isn't sold there and were perhaps thinking of products such as the more expensive One World explorer/Global Explorer fares

I still recommend the slightly more expensive H fare since (a) it is much easier to make changes and (b) means that full mileage earning to FF programmes will be earned from both the QF and BA flights ( rather than 25% earning for BA )

It is not an autopriced fare, so I suggest a quick phone call to the QF UK reservations office who do know all about it

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 7, 2005 at 1:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.