Easter Island - OWE rules?

Old Jul 13, 04, 9:38 am
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Easter Island - OWE rules?

A series of posts I dug up from last year left me with a niggling question - is Easter Island considered a South American destination or SWP? Someone posted that IPC was an okay Global Explorer destination but "excluded" from S. America for the purposes of OWE. Even though our D tickets apparently would only get us coach seats, it looks like an interesting place for a few days. Can anyone clarify? Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 04, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Easter Island (airport code "IPC") is considered part of South America for Oneworld Explorer purposes. Not sure about the Global Explorer, but I know from first hand experience that one can do a round trip to IPC on an Oneworld Explorer.

If you want to see a trip report I did on my Easter Island experience, do a search in Trip Reports under my name.

It is a great experience and one I would highly reccomend. Not a bad way to earn miles either!
Old Jul 13, 04, 11:07 am
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by PresRDC
If you want to see a trip report I did on my Easter Island experience, do a search in Trip Reports under my name.
Very cool report. IPC is now officially on the list.
Old Jul 13, 04, 2:08 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Love to IPC

The D class is very limited on this service but you should always carry a set of the rules and a clear statement of your ticket basis. Then you can try if the full business fare seats have not gone for an on the spot "upgrade" at the airport.

Enjoy, I have never had the time to stop on the island in all my Pacific crossings. It has to come soon.
Old Jul 13, 04, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
If you are okay with a quick trip to the island, you have approximately 18 hours between the arrival of the LAN flight from SCL and its departure back to SCL (it continues to/from Papette, Tahiti) and can schedule a quick tour of the island. In three hours, I saw all the major sights and got a feel for the place. A longer stay would have been nice, but I can say I saw the main sights.
Old Jul 13, 04, 2:33 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Unhappy Ok, great idea

Well that has sorted that out. I have two trips to South America before the end of the year from Europe and it will have to get squeezed in with one of those. I will do one as a status point run and now I know what to do with the xONEx ticket that I will use on that trip.

Always beware of entry into Santiago, if the signs are still there on arrival...

You are not allowed to import "semen". Now as someone who has not found the knot yet, I could not see "vasectomies are us" on the airside part of the airport and there were no honesty boxes for illegal substances, I decided to state that I had left Australia empty and try that as an excuse...

There is not every dinner party that you can bring that one up in...

Spotwelder
Old Jul 14, 04, 5:10 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
IPC is an absolute must. Good for three days but its possible to stretch it to a week if you really want to slow down (it's not a stereotyped "tropical paradise" though).

Entry to Chile at SCL will cause you to pay Immigration (US $ Cash) somewhere between $30 and $50 or more - depending on the words on the cover of your passport. The only way to avoid it is to have a Chile stamp already in your passport. It's not covered in the tax component of your ticket. Be warned!
Old Jul 14, 04, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by og
Entry to Chile at SCL will cause you to pay Immigration (US $ Cash) somewhere between $30 and $50 or more - depending on the words on the cover of your passport. The only way to avoid it is to have a Chile stamp already in your passport. It's not covered in the tax component of your ticket. Be warned!
I believe the Reciprocity Tax, payable on arrival at the airport, is as follows, depending on your passport:

Australia USD 30
Canada USD 55
USA USD 100
Mexico USD 15

Search this Thread