AONE3 ex BKK. Fair price?

Old Jun 7, 04, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, TG, SPG all back to base.
AONE3 ex BKK. Fair price?

Hi all,

On the verge of booking my first AONE3. I've been quoted THB230k for cash or 260k on plastic. 230k is about USD5,670. Does that seem like a fair deal to someone who knows the vaguaries of booking ex BKK better than me? The plastic surcharge is daylight robbery, so would do a transfer. It's a supposedly reputable TA, occasionally quoted within these forums.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by Meerkat; Jun 8, 04 at 1:13 am
Old Jun 7, 04, 1:46 pm

About 12% surcharge for plastic would make me suspicious of the seller. You certainly lose a valuable protection when you put cash in his hands. Otherwise, the people with the price charts in their hands will jump in with precise comments, but the price seems okay from what I think I remember, especially if it includes all taxes. They tend to run about usd $300.
Old Jun 7, 04, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Every travel agency in Thailand will tag on a surcharge even on a full fare ticket when paying with a creditcard. The only way to avoid this is to issue the ticket directly with the airlines.
Old Jun 7, 04, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

It was Chawla Travel, which seems to get good write-ups here. GB - I've tried calling CX direct in BKK, but the numbers seem permanently engaged...
Anyway, thanks again.
Old Jun 8, 04, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Every travel agency in Thailand will tag on a surcharge even on a full fare ticket when paying with a creditcard. The only way to avoid this is to issue the ticket directly with the airlines.
Surcharge, sure, but 12%? OTOH, Thailand is one of the places with a very bad rep for credit card fraud, so maybe the merchant banks do charge their customers that much.
Old Jun 8, 04, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I used Circle of Asia in Bangkok to ticket a DONE4 recently. They made no credit card surcharge at all and provided v good service. The only additional cost was for the DHL service to post the tickets to Australia. You might like to try contacting them on +662 254 1333. The person who I dealt with was Anant Kumar

Dave
Old Jun 8, 04, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by Meerkat
It was Chawla Travel, which seems to get good write-ups here. GB - I've tried calling CX direct in BKK, but the numbers seem permanently engaged...
Anyway, thanks again.
Are you sure you've got the correct number? 02-263-0606 is for reservations, and 02-263-0629 is for the ticketing department - which is where you should be calling for issuing RTWs.

If you want CX to issue the ticket for you, you have to get the other booking cancelled.. and maybe just leave the CX portions. Then get CX to fill in the other segments...

If you still have problems getting this ticket issued, email me back.. and I'll get someone's attention - everyone in CX Bangkok knows me and I can get things done quickly.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jun 8, 04 at 10:25 am
Old Jun 8, 04, 10:32 am

In my experience there is no surcharge in BKK for tickets with 'official' fares, where you also could buy the ticket directly from an airline.

Discounted fares (consolidator etc) are not paid to the airline and the seller does not accept credit cards. In this case the agent has to 'eat' the credit card fees and pay cash to the seller of the ticket. The charge i have seen and paid in the past for this kind of tickets is around 3 %. I would not pay much more than that.

I bought RTW tickets from Diethelm Travel (http://www.diethelm-travel.com) in the past and paid with a credit card.
Old Jun 8, 04, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

I was trying CX ticketing on 0616 and 0623. I did get through on 0606 to res, and they confirmed I was trying the right ticketing numbers. No worries anyway, I've done the trade through Chawla, and am happy that I managed to get all my segments at this late hour (the trip is the first two weeks of July). I'm popping off to BKK on Friday to pick the ticket up...any excuse for another w/e there! Looking forward to my first CX F longhaul experience... Thanks all for your help.
Old Jun 11, 04, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, AC Elite, SPG Gold
AONE3 Ex BKK

THB230K is a good price ex BKK. The base price excluding tax is normally THB260K. Typically the agencies will give you a reduced price of approx. 4%, but then add 3% for plastic surcharge, taking you back up to close to the original price. I have bought these tix 6x at Holiday Tours & Travel, which is also BA/QF's ticketing agent in BKK. They are very reliable, and generally competitively priced, and are pretty adept at issuing RTW tix. Best agent I have found there is named Fah. Phone is +66-2-234-0031.
Old Jun 12, 04, 11:51 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by hgtravels
THB230K is a good price ex BKK. The base price excluding tax is normally THB260K. Typically the agencies will give you a reduced price of approx. 4%, but then add 3% for plastic surcharge, taking you back up to close to the original price. I have bought these tix 6x at Holiday Tours & Travel, which is also BA/QF's ticketing agent in BKK. They are very reliable, and generally competitively priced, and are pretty adept at issuing RTW tix. Best agent I have found there is named Fah. Phone is +66-2-234-0031.
Holiday Tours and Travel is also a subsidiary of QF

Search this Thread