Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

RTW Explorer Assistance

RTW Explorer Assistance

Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
RTW Explorer Assistance

I posted this in the AA forum as that is my primary carrier. It was suggested that I ask over here. So I have posted my initial questions below.

--
Greetings my new FT friends. I have been looking into the around the world explorer options, and after reading through everything I could find I still have a couple of questions. I am hoping to solicit some sage responses. Here are my questions:
1)If I book a business class package, will the tickets be true J's?
2)If so, could I use my VP's to upgrade AA flights?
3)Say my first flight is from ORD-JNB. I would have to connect through LHR, would that count as 3 continents, North America, Europe and Africa or only North America and Africa as I am only connecting in Europe?
4)I am aware that I have 12 months to complete my travel, what if however I book separate independant tickets on AA from ORD-LHR. Would that be considered as back-to-back booking and violate my round the world rules?
5)Any experiences with Around the world explorer trips that you would like to share or other issues that I should be aware of, and would find helpful?

I truly appreciate any responses and advice that I receive.

-Andy
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:35 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Welcome

1) Not sure what you mean by true J - you will travel in Bus Class, get miles and q-points for J. The only difference is the price and that your seat comes out of the D fare bucket.
2) Yes - others have commented on doing so - only on AA flight #s and AA metal (ie not AA codeshare on QF metal to Australia)
3) yes
4) No - combinations with other tickets is perfectly fine - it does not violate the xONEx ticket rules
5) these are numerous - incl mile-maximization, status maximization, trying all of the better airlines (BA/CX/QF), trying the best lounges (Pier/Wing), and many more. You will be able to read many aspects of these on this forum - if you can't find something ask specific questions here.

Have fun planning and travelling.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond
F

I Would suggest the following:

Forget taking AA and upgrading for the flight through Europe. I would seriuously consider doing the flight on BA J class, in my opinion it is as good as AA F. Also, take CX as often as you can, and QF. As regards not getting status miles for the BA flight on AA, consider joining the QF program. Just one short RTW in biz will probably get you all the way to exp plat equivalent on qf.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:56 pm

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by M Singh
Forget taking AA and upgrading for the flight through Europe. I would seriuously consider doing the flight on BA J class, in my opinion it is as good as AA F.
But if HRHAndrew is AA EXP, can he get miles from a BA transatlantic flight to his AAdvantage FF?
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:10 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
No he can't (well not if it's from the US - he can if it is from Canada or the Caribbean). That's why the QF FF programme was suggested.

BTW I disagree that AA F is no better than BA J. If you get the AA Atlantic config the First seat is by better than either BA or CX's First, never mind their Business class. The rest of the service can be a bit hit and miss, but AA F wine is also better in general than BA J.

Last edited by christep; Apr 29, 2004 at 12:14 am
Old Apr 29, 2004, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for the responses. I am planning on buying a business ticket, and will use AA for my transatlantic and transpacific runs because I can use an AAVP upgrade to first class. Here is the itinerary that I have planned. Does it look Ok to everyone? Also, I have been on BA business, but never of CX business. Which do you think is better? I am leaning to BA because I will be travelling with a colleague and I can book him in world traveller plus. I am not too concerned with mileage maximization. Here is what I have:
GRR-ORD
ORD-LHR
BHX-MAD
MAD-BIO
BIO-MAD
MAD-CDG
CDG-LHR
LHR-HKG
HKG-ICN
ICN-HKG
HKG-NRT
NRT-ORD
ORD-FLL
FLL-ORD
ORD-GRR

My concerns are what appears to be a backtrack to LHR, is this allowed? And what to fly on the LHR-HKG.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by HRHAndrew
Thanks for the responses. I am planning on buying a business ticket, and will use AA for my transatlantic and transpacific runs because I can use an AAVP upgrade to first class. Here is the itinerary that I have planned. Does it look Ok to everyone? Also, I have been on BA business, but never of CX business. Which do you think is better? I am leaning to BA because I will be travelling with a colleague and I can book him in world traveller plus. I am not too concerned with mileage maximization. Here is what I have:
GRR-ORD
ORD-LHR
BHX-MAD
MAD-BIO
BIO-MAD
MAD-CDG
CDG-LHR
LHR-HKG
HKG-ICN
ICN-HKG
HKG-NRT
NRT-ORD
ORD-FLL
FLL-ORD
ORD-GRR
My concerns are what appears to be a backtrack to LHR, is this allowed? And what to fly on the LHR-HKG.
You have 5 segments in EUR, but are only allowed 4:
BHX-MAD
MAD-BIO
BIO-MAD
MAD-CDG
CDG-LHR
If your plan was to buy an extra segment then that's fine as you are only using 15 of the 20 max. Nothing wrong with returning to LHR to go to HKG. Starting in GRR, do you know B.Watson?
jerry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.