Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Which OW codeshare to book for Germany-USA?

Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Hello All,

I am not very familiar with oneworld and have no status. I am considering flying from Frankfurt to the US on an AA operated flight in cheap coach.

The same AA flight is being sold by BA, IB and AY as a codeshare.

The question is, which codeshare should I book to get the most benefits on this flight? Or should I book directly with an AA flight number? I am thinking about stuff like free/cheaper seat reservations, more baggage and the like. I don't care about earning miles or points with oneworld.

Are some codeshares better than others, or would I get exactly the same benefits on this flight regardless of the airline code on the ticket?

Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I don't think it'll matter. Seat and excess bag charges are to AA, not the ticketing / marketing carrier. None will give you access to MCE seating for free without AA or certain other OW member status. Extra baggage is also typically status related, but I believe as long as it's not a Basic Economy or Lite fare you'll get 1 free 23kg bag.

The only part that would make a difference on the codes is mileage earnings which you say you're not interested in. An AY code would most likely credit the most miles to AAdvantage, but even that's hard to say without knowing the price and fare class code. Similarly if crediting to BA, then the AA or AY code is most likely advantageous.
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I would suggest booking the AA flight number if it's operated by AA. Makes it easier if there are schedule changes prior to departure.
Codeshares always seem to add an extra level of confusion with airlines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.