Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

34,000 mile limit on oneworld Explorer itinerary

Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I am looking at a route on the oneworld website and getting the following error "Your itinerary exceeds the 34,000 mile limit on a Business or First class booking. To finalise your itinerary, please reduce the length of your trip." I could not find mention of a mileage limit on the rules?
Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ademanuele
I am looking at a route on the oneworld website and getting the following error "Your itinerary exceeds the 34,000 mile limit on a Business or First class booking. To finalise your itinerary, please reduce the length of your trip." I could not find mention of a mileage limit on the rules?
The OW RTW booking software has many issues. Know to have bugs.

https://www.oneworld.com/world-travel
You are trying to book a Global Explorer - a distance based ticket
Global Explorer
Distance-Based Air Travel
For an even wider choice of where to travel, book your Round The World trip via Global Explorer, which grants you access to an even more extensive list of airlines, including Aer Lingus, Bangkok Airways, oneworld connectpartner Fiji Airways, Jetstar, Jetstar Asia, Jetstar Japan, Jetstar Pacific, WestJet, and Qantas code-share flights operated by Air Tahiti Nui.
Try to book the Oneworld explorer
oneworld Explorer
Continent-Based Air Travel
No matter where business or pleasure takes you, oneworld's vast network means your Round The World trip via oneworld Explorer fare makes it easy to travel from city to city, and continent to continent. And, for every dot you connect, you earn more miles and points to spend across the oneworld Alliance.
They have different rules and different allowable airlines.
Read on for Round The World rules and conditions [Note: Links open PDF in browser]:
rules
ademanuele and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 23, 2023 at 11:51 am
Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The OW RTW booing software has many issues. Know to have bugs.

https://www.oneworld.com/world-travel
You are trying to book a Global Explorer - a mileage based ticket

Try to book the Oneworld explorer

They have different rules and different allowable airlines.
I did select the oneworld explorer. I have included AKL-HKG in the tool (departing AKL 14th June) and it does not recognise this flight and can only find a 1 stop route and think the tool is automatically switching me to a Global Explorer, as you state, buggy! I don't know why it can't find the direct AKL-HKG flight 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CX fly AKL HKG. But may not have the fare class needed (D L). Try a different day.

Edit
CX198 is operated by CX
CX7402 is operated by Air NZ (codeshare)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 23, 2023 at 12:33 pm
Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:59 am
Original Poster

CX fly AKL HKG. But may not have the fare class needed (D L)
Thanks, I did not realise that some routes have restricted fare classes? Is there a way to confirm this? I think ExpertFlyer has this information but I do not have a subscription, can anyone check this for me?
Old Nov 23, 2023, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Just like any fare you need availability in the booking class the fare books into. With a DONEX ticket, you will need D class availability. See Rule 5(b) of the Rules:
https://assets.ctfassets.net/m9ph4qv...d-explorer.pdf
The Oneworld Explorer User Guide
ademanuele and mvsheneman like this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Just like any fare you need availability in the booking class the fare books into. With a DONEX ticket, you will need D class availability. See Rule 5(b) of the Rules:
https://assets.ctfassets.net/m9ph4qv...d-explorer.pdf
The Oneworld Explorer User Guide
Thanks. Is there a way to determine what classes of tickets are available on a flight without ExpertFlyer?
Old Nov 23, 2023, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

CX fly AKL HKG. But may not have the fare class needed (D L). Try a different day.

Edit
CX198 is operated by CX
CX7402 is operated by Air NZ (codeshare)
Had a look at ExpertFlyer (trial version but will likely subscribe), not used the site in anger before but as far as I can tell there is fare class D available? Are we back to a bug with the oneworld site or could there be another reason why the flight is not offered as an option?

Old Nov 23, 2023, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
With Expertflyer, sometimes you'll have to change the POS as well, it defaults to America... not often but sometimes the availability is different. Your POS is "I believe" the country you originate in, but someone will correct me if it's the country of the issuing airline. My current CX RTW ticket was issued by CX's Tokyo office so my POS is Japan either way.

The OW tool for some reason doesn't like CX flights. The only way I could get it to offer them to me was to select CX as my preferred airline in the top right side. That potentially causes other issues, but managed to make it work out in my case.

One other issue you might be experiencing if it's not pricing, sometimes it doesn't want to price out BA and IB long haul segments, see if you can get AY or QR if you have some BA and IB in there and see if that helps. Also sometimes it won't price if you have a segment in Economy or Premium Economy, even though that's certainly allowed if you want it. But like others have said you're definitely allowed to have well over 34,000 miles on a OW Explorer, the design of the website is pretty bad, it should just remove that line entirely after you've exceeded 34k since that'll be a OW Explorer, not Global Explorer. But that's not the reason it's not pricing, it can be ignored entirely.
ademanuele likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CX198 is also "sold" as AY5102, BA4550 QR5811 and some other non OW airlines.
At times OW codeshares can have different D fare class availability.
Also ff earning can vary with marketing carrier.
A real live breathing Travel Agent or skilled~knowledgeable airline phone agent can sometimes get around the bugs in the OW software.

Edit
https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW4550
ademanuele and dvs7310 like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 23, 2023 at 5:30 pm
Old Nov 23, 2023, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
With Expertflyer, sometimes you'll have to change the POS as well, it defaults to America... not often but sometimes the availability is different. Your POS is "I believe" the country you originate in, but someone will correct me if it's the country of the issuing airline. My current CX RTW ticket was issued by CX's Tokyo office so my POS is Japan either way.

The OW tool for some reason doesn't like CX flights. The only way I could get it to offer them to me was to select CX as my preferred airline in the top right side. That potentially causes other issues, but managed to make it work out in my case.

One other issue you might be experiencing if it's not pricing, sometimes it doesn't want to price out BA and IB long haul segments, see if you can get AY or QR if you have some BA and IB in there and see if that helps. Also sometimes it won't price if you have a segment in Economy or Premium Economy, even though that's certainly allowed if you want it. But like others have said you're definitely allowed to have well over 34,000 miles on a OW Explorer, the design of the website is pretty bad, it should just remove that line entirely after you've exceeded 34k since that'll be a OW Explorer, not Global Explorer. But that's not the reason it's not pricing, it can be ignored entirely.
Thanks for this. I changed the POS and is showing availability of D. I have BA, QR, QF AA, UL and JL in my itinerary plus another CX flight that seems to be accepted.

I guess I am going to have to use a travel agent...

Old Nov 23, 2023, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

CX198 is also "sold" as AY5102, BA4550 QR5811 and some other non OW airlines.
At times OW codeshares can have different D fare class availability.
Also ff earning can vary with marketing carrier.
A real live breathing Travel Agent or skilled~knowledgeable airline phone agent can sometimes get around the bugs in the OW software.
Where do you find the OW codeshares for flights (if you search for the route on the BA web site you get the "we have no flights available" message?

I am a BA card holder, if I booked with BA would I get higher Avios using the BA codeshare or will it always be based on the actual carrier? Also, would I get higher surcharges using the BA codeshare?
Old Nov 23, 2023, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got the code shares from web site AKL international departures https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/flights
Have read Expert Flyer has this info.

After issuing you can change flights. Changing a flight on the same route has no theoretical cost. But some airlines charge a "service fee". To me that is not in the OW rules, but happens. So changing to/from a codeshare is possible to maximise ff earning. Some airline phone agents may not be keen to do, but if changing to their airline may be more amenable.

FF earnings with Oneworld are based on the marketing carrier (flight number) and an eligible operating carrier.

Edit
https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW4550
ademanuele likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 23, 2023 at 5:31 pm
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by ademanuele
Thanks for this. I changed the POS and is showing availability of D. I have BA, QR, QF AA, UL and JL in my itinerary plus another CX flight that seems to be accepted.

I guess I am going to have to use a travel agent...

That's just the fares page. You need to check the Flight Availability page. You'll need D to be more than D0 with the correct POS. It looks like this:

On that route especially it's useful to click the Exclude Codeshares button to find availability, it seems to like to favor the NZ metal codeshare for some reason.
Mwenenzi likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.