Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting options for - Any ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Interesting options for Japan trip - Any ideas

I need to be in Tokyo from about 9 Oct 23-12 Oct 23 and I would like to extend my trip at either end and include some interesting countires, i am looking at a total trip time of about 20-25 days.

This will probably have to be an economy trip unless I can come up with some decent business pricing. One thought is that I may want to split some of the longer flights with an overnight stop just to make economy travel more bearable e.g. 24 hours in the emirates.

Before I get to deep into this can anyone suggest any routing to include interesting places, I have spent some time in Japan before so I would like to go elsewhere this trip although Okinowa in Japan is one option I was considering Tawain has been recommened but I am happy to consider anywhere else with decent links between the UK and Japan. I am pretty sure i will have to step outside oneworld at least for some of this trip.

Any tips to for keen business prices also appreciated.

TIA

Last edited by wytco0; Jul 8, 2023 at 1:19 pm
Old Jul 8, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by wytco0
I need to be in Tokyo from about 9 Oct 23-12 Oct 23 and I would like to extend my trip at either end and include some interesting countires, i am looking at a total trip time of about 20-25 days.

This will probably have to be an economy trip unless I can come up with some decent business pricing. One thought is that I may want to split some of the longer flights with an overnight stop just to make economy travel more bearable e.g. 24 hours in the emirates.

Before I get to deep into this can anyone suggest any routing to include interesting places, I have spent some time in Japan before so I would like to go elsewhere this trip although Okinowa in Japan is one option I was considering Tawain has been recommened but I am happy to consider anywhere else with decent links between the UK and Japan. I am pretty sure i will have to step outside oneworld at least for some of this trip.

TIA
Routes between Okinawa and rest of Japan are well served by JL. Both CX and JL fly between Taiwan and Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya. You certainly don't need to step outside of oneworld if these are the excursions you are considering.

If you are just considering breaking a long-haul between the UK and Japan into 2 medium-hauls, within oneworld I can't think of anything else other than QR, many of whose fares do allow free stopover in DOH.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:32 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP

TIA
Looking at previous posts, back in April you were talking about trying to get (back) to BA Silver from nothing. Is that still the case? Also, what would qualify as "keen" business pricing? And a related question, what if any other travel plans do you have for the remainder of 2023 and the first half of 2024?

Here's a thought, maybe quickly discarded. Buy a 3-continent Oneworld Explorer business class RTW with the ticket starting in Norway. RTWs are priced very differently from one country to another (where the trip begins, not where you live) and a 3-continent business class "DONE3" ticket originating in Norway has a base price of £3840 compared to one starting in the UK with a base price of £5471. You can get (economy) from London to Oslo for under a hundred quid, so some obvious savings.

The DONE3 is good for up to 16 flights over the course of a year, of which four can be in Asia, four in Europe (which includes the Middle East) and six within North America, which includes the Caribbean and Central America.

So imagine you fly to Oslo and activate the ticket, fly to Helsinki and connect to a Finnair flight to Singapore. Gobble some Hainan chicken rice or whatever for a day or two, then it's up to Japan (can we assume Tokyo?) for your visit there.

When you're done, do a combination tier point/mileage run/autumn foliage tour. Fly back to Hong Kong, then back to Japan, but this time to Chitose/Sapporo in Hokkaido, where the autumn foliage should be well on its way to gobsmack levels. Tour around for a couple of days, then head back to Hong Kong (or just back to Tokyo, but fewer tier points) and then it's across the Pacific to Los Angeles. Do an easy tier point turnaround from LAX up to Anchorage and back (maybe too late for much autumn color in Alaska but possible) then it's off to Boston and some "leaf peeping" in New England. Get a car and head up to New Hampshire or Vermont for some autumn glory, then back to Boston and back to London. You'll have been gone from home for around 3 weeks, so within your parameters.

BUT... the RTW still affords you three flights within Europe (and two stopovers, with London/Norfolk being the first) and you'd still have 10 or 11 months left on the RTWs calendar. So maybe sometime in the winter or spring you take a trip to the Middle East - maybe Qatar or Oman, or Israel, then it's back to Oslo to finish the ticket.

Here's an imaginary route that complies with the RTW rules - OSL-HEL-SIN-HND-HKG-CTS-HKG-LAX-ANC-LAX-BOS-LHR-MAD-DOH-OSL that would generate something like 1440 BA tier points, close to Gold, never mind silver. You'd need some BA-metal segments if you don't have enough already, but these could be easy weekenders to Scotland or Ireland, Holland or France, whatever's cheap and interesting.

So anyway this MIGHT be a solution to your desire to get back to Silver (or better) with BA and open the door to some interesting destinations. Granted, this is a lot of butt-in-seat miles (more like butt-in-bed) over a short time, but it would be far from grueling. Maybe worth some thought.
SPN Lifer, dvs7310 and wytco0 like this.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Jul 8, 2023 at 8:50 pm
Old Jul 9, 2023, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Hi Gardyloo, your reply is exactly the sort of thing that make this forum so useful, yes I am still looking to get back to Silver, I had to delay it a bit due to other priorities. I would never have thought about the RTW fares without your post. This looks like a very interesting option and I think I will be spending a lot of today exploring it. Thanks for posting and I even like your possible routing.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Routes between Okinawa and rest of Japan are well served by JL. Both CX and JL fly between Taiwan and Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya. You certainly don't need to step outside of oneworld if these are the excursions you are considering.

If you are just considering breaking a long-haul between the UK and Japan into 2 medium-hauls, within oneworld I can't think of anything else other than QR, many of whose fares do allow free stopover in DOH.
Thanks It seems that Okinowa is not somewhere that is well covered for visitors from Europe, I guess its more of a local holiday centre and possible somewhere US folks go to more. I have always been fascinated by the place so am keen to get a few days there.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Looking at previous posts, back in April you were talking about trying to get (back) to BA Silver from nothing. Is that still the case? Also, what would qualify as "keen" business pricing? And a related question, what if any other travel plans do you have for the remainder of 2023 and the first half of 2024?

Here's a thought, maybe quickly discarded. Buy a 3-continent Oneworld Explorer business class RTW with the ticket starting in Norway. RTWs are priced very differently from one country to another (where the trip begins, not where you live) and a 3-continent business class "DONE3" ticket originating in Norway has a base price of £3840 compared to one starting in the UK with a base price of £5471. You can get (economy) from London to Oslo for under a hundred quid, so some obvious savings.
I had a play with this but although the base price is as you said, once the surcharges etc are added it comes to just under 7000 GBP, unless of course i have missed something important?
Old Jul 9, 2023, 9:01 am
Moderator, OneWorld

I had a play with this but although the base price is as you said, once the surcharges etc are added it comes to just under 7000 GBP, unless of course i have missed something important?
Shouldn't be that much. If you don't mind sharing, what route did you specify and where did you obtain the price? It sounds suspiciously like you've gotten the ex-UK fare, not the ex-Norway one.

Note that relying on the Oneworld online tool for this can result in hair loss at a minimum. The tool is hopelessly buggy and unreliable, and tends to default to higher-cost options, e.g. choosing British Airways as the initial carrier in order to get BA's usurious surcharges and fees applied to all flights, not just those operated by BA. There are workarounds possible, with the emphasis on "work."

Last edited by Gardyloo; Jul 9, 2023 at 9:46 am
Old Jul 9, 2023, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Shouldn't be that much. If you don't mind sharing, what route did you specify and where did you obtain the price? It sounds suspiciously like you've gotten the ex-UK fare, not the ex-Norway one.

Note that relying on the Oneworld online tool for this can result in hair loss at a minimum. The tool is hopelessly buggy and unreliable, and tends to default to higher-cost options, e.g. choosing British Airways as the initial carrier in order to get BA's usurious surcharges and fees applied to all flights, not just those operated by BA. There are workarounds possible, with the emphasis on "work."
Interesting I used the oneworld planner with BA as preferred carrier, I have attached a copy of the generated fare, any hints on how to rework this would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
79202364757PMMyItinerary.pdf (53.7 KB, 35 views)
Old Jul 10, 2023, 11:42 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Interesting I used the oneworld planner with BA as preferred carrier, I have attached a copy of the generated fare, any hints on how to rework this would be appreciated.
It is a puzzlement, but honestly not a surprising outcome if you're using the online tool. A couple of things:

Somehow the fare details you appended are for a Global Explorer trip, not a Oneworld Explorer. This is Oneworld's mileage-based RTW product (maximum 34,000 flown miles in business class) which has a base price a few dollars/pounds cheaper ex-Norway than the Oneworld Explorer, which is maybe some decision made by the Oneworld robots based on the mileage of your trip. The Global Explorer is far less flexible than the Oneworld Explorer; if you were to amend your plan to include more stops and more mileage, you'd have to convert the GlobEx to a Oneworld Explorer (OWE) with, of course, some major service charges.

Regarding the big number for carrier surcharges, not having a breakout by segment is a major problem, but I took it upon myself to use ITA and look up the YQ and YR charges listed for the various segments and carriers on your itinerary. These are shown in the currency of the departing airport, so one needs to change them to Norwegian Kroner to see how the total compares to the NOK 28,002 total on the estimate. And, guess what... the numbers don't add up at all. The total YQ/YR surcharges using he segment-by-segment approach comes to NOK 10,842, of which NOK 8934 is from one segment - BOS-LHR (US$850, the standard YQ charged by all the Oneworld carriers on USA-UK business class segments, whether it's LAX-LHR or BOS-LHR, LAX-MAD, JFK-HEL, you name it.) By comparison, the YQ/YR charged by Oneworld carriers on Canada-Europe business class segments is CA$714.50, or US$536. From the Caribbean it's US$365, from Mexico it's US$400.

My hunch - and this is just a hunch - is that when you put Finnair in as the first carrier, somehow the fare calculation and ticketing duties get assigned by the robots to BA. (This is similar to the Star Alliance online RTW tool, which assigns everything to Lufthansa for ticketing, whether or not LH even has a segment in the trip.) BA is notorious for adding YQ surcharges on segments flown by everyone in the itinerary, even if those carriers don't charge YQ or YR themselves. (Note I don't know the difference between YQ and YR, but they both turn up as "carrier surcharges," so I just lump them together.) Anybody who's used BA Avios for award travel knows that even on non-BA segments, BA whacks you with big surcharges (incorrectly called "taxes" by many) as a form of revenue enhancement, i.e., profit-seeking, on BA's part. My guess is that that's what's happening here.

Possible workarounds, no guarantees or promises offered: Redo your itinerary so that it will be palatable for American to do the fare construction and ticketing. First, make sure it's a Oneworld Explorer you're buying, not a Global Explorer. Second, put in an AA-operated over-water segment, not an AA codeshare on BA or QF metal. SYD-LAX on AA 72 would get my vote but it's your call. You might also add a BOS-YUL (non-Oneworld so outside the ticket) segment then fly YUL-LHR to get the cheaper ex-Canada transatlantic YQ charge. You can afford the surface segment. (Or you could add two segments in North America and fly BOS-ORD-YYZ, or if AA is flying its seasonal route to Cancun, go BOS-CUN-LGW)

There are various workarounds, but the main thing would be to get someone besides BA to do the ticketing. Like I say, no guarantees but maybe worth some time.

I'm attaching a pdf of my worksheet. Hope there aren't any gross errors.

Edited to add - I see I left out the legitimate taxes and non-YQ/YR fees from the fare quote, so the bottom "all in" line on the spreadsheet is bogus. But the math is easy.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
wytcoO.pdf (224.4 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Gardyloo; Jul 10, 2023 at 11:50 am
Old Jul 11, 2023, 5:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Regarding the big number for carrier surcharges, not having a breakout by segment is a major problem, but I took it upon myself to use ITA and look up the YQ and YR charges listed for the various segments and carriers on your itinerary. These are shown in the currency of the departing airport, so one needs to change them to Norwegian Kroner to see how the total compares to the NOK 28,002 total on the estimate. And, guess what... the numbers don't add up at all. The total YQ/YR surcharges using he segment-by-segment approach comes to NOK 10,842, of which NOK 8934 is from one segment - BOS-LHR (US$850, the standard YQ charged by all the Oneworld carriers on USA-UK business class segments, whether it's LAX-LHR or BOS-LHR, LAX-MAD, JFK-HEL, you name it.) By comparison, the YQ/YR charged by Oneworld carriers on Canada-Europe business class segments is CA$714.50, or US$536. From the Caribbean it's US$365, from Mexico it's US$400.
Unfortunately for OneWorld Explorer ticket's that method of YQ/YR calculation doesn't work. It's quite a bit different on an Explorer ticket than individual revenue tickets. From my best understanding it's varied quite heavily based on the point of origin of the xONEx ticket and the ticketing carrier, but for example an ex-TYO DONE5 tends to have around 40,000-60,000 JPY in YQ/YR but if you checked the same itinerary on Matrix you'd end up easily with 200,000-300,000 JPY depending on the itinerary. The only way I know to get a full breakdown by carrier is to get a travel agent to run the itinerary for you.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 10:07 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Unfortunately for OneWorld Explorer ticket's that method of YQ/YR calculation doesn't work. It's quite a bit different on an Explorer ticket than individual revenue tickets. From my best understanding it's varied quite heavily based on the point of origin of the xONEx ticket and the ticketing carrier, but for example an ex-TYO DONE5 tends to have around 40,000-60,000 JPY in YQ/YR but if you checked the same itinerary on Matrix you'd end up easily with 200,000-300,000 JPY depending on the itinerary. The only way I know to get a full breakdown by carrier is to get a travel agent to run the itinerary for you.
Right, that's my point (which I made poorly, evidently.) The lumped-together YQ/YR total in wytco0's fare summary is opaque as to both who did the calculations and what the per-segment charges were. As I said, I suspect the culprit is BA, but the only way to know for sure is to see the actual ticket numbers once issued, so you could see the prefix that indicates the issuing carrier, hence (presumably) who did the numbers (e.g. 001, AA, 125 BA and so on.)

I think I once got a full breakdown from the AA RTW desk but I can't find it now (years ago.) The ticket had been issued by AA's GSA in Cape Town, but the (then Dublin) AA rates desk had done the crunching.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 1:23 pm

Right, that's my point (which I made poorly, evidently.) The lumped-together YQ/YR total in wytco0's fare summary is opaque as to both who did the calculations and what the per-segment charges were. As I said, I suspect the culprit is BA, but the only way to know for sure is to see the actual ticket numbers once issued, so you could see the prefix that indicates the issuing carrier, hence (presumably) who did the numbers (e.g. 001, AA, 125 BA and so on.)

I think I once got a full breakdown from the AA RTW desk but I can't find it now (years ago.) The ticket had been issued by AA's GSA in Cape Town, but the (then Dublin) AA rates desk had done the crunching.
Even after issue, I think it depends on who issued your ticket if you can see a breakdown or not. On my last year's QF issued one, I could still only see the lump sum when I pulled the ticket on the Finnair site (QF site is as hopeless as their CS agents). But I've ran a few different scenarios for my next one for December start this year and I get fairly similar results from CX and QF (haven't tried AA and probably won't because I'll get screwed on the AA segments going revenue vs. distance, I guess if they were magically $1000 cheaper then it'd be ok and I could donate to the AA hotels no-show cause to make up the difference, but that's not going to happen since the total YQ/YR on QF or CX issued is far far less than $1000). I absolutely will not do another QF ticket after the last experience but it's a good data point to compare fees.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I was able to get a very close quote. To answer the most important part of your question, the main chunk of carrier surcharge is from QF, which adds 1145EUR each on HND-SYD and SYD-LAX.
Code:
 1 AY 916D 08OCT 7 OSLHEL GK1  1715  1935  /E
     2 AY 131D 09OCT 1 HELSIN GK1  0125  1930  /E
     3 JL  38D 11OCT 3 SINHND GK1  0150  0950  /E
     4 QF  26D 20OCT 5 HNDSYD GK1  2200  0950   21OCT 6 /E
     5 QF  11D 24OCT 2 SYDLAX GK1  1020  0605  /E
     6 AA1632D 26OCT 4 LAXBOS GK1  0715  1555  /E
     7 BA 238D 27OCT 5 BOSLHR GK1  0705  1835  /E
     8 BA 762D 15NOV 3 LHROSL GK1  0750  1100  /E

WPRW„TOSL„SOSL„ABA„B9JUL23„«

PSGR TYPE  ADT - 01
         CXR RES DATE  FARE BASIS      NVB   NVA    BG
     OSL
    XHEL AY  D   08OCT DGLOB34         08OCT 08OCT 02P
     SIN AY  D   09OCT DGLOB34         09OCT 09OCT 02P
     TYO JL  D   11OCT DGLOB34         11OCT 11OCT 02P
     SYD QF  D   20OCT DGLOB34         20OCT 20OCT 02P
     LAX QF  D   24OCT DGLOB34         24OCT 24OCT 02P
    XBOS AA  D   26OCT DGLOB34         26OCT 26OCT 02P
     LON BA  D   27OCT DGLOB34         27OCT 27OCT 02P
     OSL BA  D   15NOV DGLOB34         15NOV 15NOV 02P
    FARE  NOK     57359  
    TAX   NOK       320G2 NOK       117ZN NOK     34725XT
    TOTAL NOK     92521
    ADT-01  DGLOB34
     OSL AY X/HEL AY SIN JL TYO QF SYD QF LAX AA X/BOS BA LON BA 
     OSL5198.32NUC5198.32END ROE11.034127
    XT NOK10XU NOK61WL NOK344SG NOK86L7 NOK63OP NOK220SW NOK428AU
    XT NOK458WY NOK452US NOK70YC NOK75XY NOK41XA NOK120AY NOK355GB
    XT NOK316UB NOK268YR NOK31236YQ NOK74TK NOK48XFBOS4.5
    ENDOS*SEG1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8*ONEWORLD 
    ENDOS*NONREF/BL/EI/FJ/GK/JQ/PG/WS/3K
    TKT/TL13SEP23/2359                                             „

MD«

ATTN*VALIDATING CARRIER SPECIFIED - BA                         „
    FORM OF PAYMENT FEES PER TICKET MAY APPLY
    ADT      DESCRIPTION                     FEE      TKT TOTAL
     OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 516470         0          92521
     OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 223529         0          92521
     OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 559867         0          92521
     OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 900024         0          92521
     OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 1611           0          92521
     OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 532728         0          92521
     OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 542527         0          92521
     OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 11251          0          92521
    ATTN*AIR EXTRAS AVAILABLE - SEE WP*AE
    ATTN*BAGGAGE INFO AVAILABLE - SEE WP*BAG

WPDF«

WPDF
    PSGR TYPE ADT
    FARE  NOK     57359
    TOTAL NOK     92521
    OSL AY X/HEL AY SIN JL TYO QF SYD QF LAX AA X/BOS BA LON BA OSL5198.32NUC5198.32END ROE11.034127
    XT NOK10XU NOK61WL NOK344SG NOK86L7 NOK63OP
    XT NOK220SW NOK428AU NOK458WY NOK452US NOK70YC
    XT NOK75XY NOK41XA NOK120AY NOK355GB NOK316UB
    XT NOK268YR NOK31236YQ NOK74TK NOK48XFBOS4.5
    /////////////// TRAFFIC DOCUMENT ISSUED IN OSL ///////////////
    PU -FARE BASIS-CUR  NUC AMT ELEMENT DESCRIPTION ----------- GI
    01 DGLOB34     NOK  5198.32 OSL-OSL AY /RT RTG              RW
                        5198.32    -    TOTAL NUC
    -TAX AMT/NOK/-- CUR  CODES  DESCRIPTION-----TAX TYPE/SEQUENCE--
            3234        /YQI SERVICE FEE - CARRIER-IMPOSED MISC
               2915:EUR   250.00 *BOS* *BA*               2188840
                280:EUR    24.00 *OSL* *AY*               2135000
                 39:USD     3.60 *SIN* *JL*               9040090
           28002        /YQF SERVICE FEE - CARRIER-IMPOSED FUEL
               1298:USD   121.00 *SIN* *JL*               1057150
              13352:EUR  1145.00 *HND* *QF*               2994925
              13352:EUR  1145.00 *SYD* *QF*               2994925
             268        /YRI SERVICE FEE - CARRIER-IMPOSED MISC
                134:USD    12.50 *HND* *QF*               3650000
                134:USD    12.50 *SYD* *QF*               3650000
             428        AU/AU  PASSENGER MOVEMENT CHARGE  PMC
                428:AUD    60.00 *SYD* *QF*          001    21250
             229        AU/WY  PASSENGER SERVICES CHARGE DEPARTURE 
                229:AUD    32.16 *SYD* *QF*          001   188720
             229        AU/WY2 PASSENGER SERVICES CHARGE ARRIVAL IN
                229:AUD    32.16 *HND* *QF*          002   287113
              61        FI/WL  PASSENGER FEE  INTERNATIONAL TRANSFE
                 61:EUR     5.20 *HEL* *AY*          001    44687
              10        FI/XU  AIR TRANSPORT SUPERVISION CHARGE
                 10:EUR     0.90 *HEL* *AY*          001   120000
             355        GB/GB  AIR PASSENGER DUTY APD
                355:GBP    26.00 *LHR* *BA*          001   370000
             316        GB/UB  PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGE DEPARTURES
                316:GBP    23.18 *LHR* *BA*          001  4709938
             220        JP/SW  PASSENGER SERVICE FACILITIES CHARGE 
                220:JPY     2950 *HND* *QF*          001   475000
              74        JP/TK  INTERNATIONAL TOURIST TAX
                 74:JPY     1000 *HND* *QF*          001   100000
             320        NO/G2  AIR PASSENGER TAX
                320:NOK      320 *OSL* *AY*          001   160000
             117        NO/ZN  PASSENGER CHARGE
                117:NOK      117 *OSL* *AY*          001   112500
              86        SG/L7  AIRPORT DEVELOPMENT LEVY
                 86:SGD    10.80 *SIN* *JL*          001   105000
              63        SG/OP  AVIATION LEVY
                 63:SGD     8.00 *SIN* *JL*          001   120000
             344        SG/SG  PASSENGER SERVICE AND SECURITY FEE P
                344:SGD    43.40 *SIN* *JL*          001    27498
             120        US/AY  PASSENGER CIVIL AVIATION SECURITY SE
                 60:USD     5.60 *LAX*               001   828212
                 60:USD     5.60 *BOS*               001   828212
             452        US/US2 TRANSPORTATION TAX INTERNATIONAL DEP
                226:USD    21.10 *BOS* *BA*          014   198906
                226:USD    21.10 *SYD* *QF*          015   149453
              41        US/XA  APHIS PASSENGER FEE PASSENGERS
                 41:USD     3.83 *SYD* *QF*          001   112500
              75        US/XY2 IMMIGRATION USER FEE
                 75:USD     7.00 *SYD* *QF*          002   130000
              70        US/YC  CUSTOMS USER FEE
                 70:USD     6.52 *SYD* *QF*          001   125000
              48        US/XF  PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE
                 48:USD     4.50 *BOS*                  
    -IATA RATES OF EXCHANGE USED IN FARE CALCULATION --------------
       11.0341270  NOK-ROE  EFF 01JUL23*INDEF
    -BSR USED IN TAX CALCULATION ----------------------------------
     1EUR:11.66125511NOK               1USD:10.72901113NOK
     1AUD:7.13136385NOK                1GBP:13.65296793NOK
     1JPY:0.07446467NOK                1SGD:7.93059079NOK
     -PRICING UNIT TRIP TYPE ---------------------------------------
      PU 01 - SPECIAL RW SINGLE FARE COMPONENT
I am a bit confused whether BA or AY was used for plating. Thought it would be AY. Anyway, there is no difference between YR/YQ whether BA or AY plate is used.
Code:
WPRW„TOSL„SOSL„AAY„B9JUL23„
PSGR TYPE  ADT - 01
 OSL
 SYD QF  D   20OCT DGLOB34         20OCT 20OCT 02P
 LAX QF  D   24OCT DGLOB34         24OCT 24OCT 02P
FARE  NOK     57359  
TOTAL NOK     92521
ADT-01  DGLOB34
 OSL AY X/HEL AY SIN JL TYO QF SYD QF LAX AA X/BOS BA LON BA 
XT NOK458WY NOK452US NOK70YC NOK75XY NOK41XA NOK120AY NOK355GB
XT NOK316UB NOK268YR NOK31236YQ NOK74TK NOK48XFBOS4.5
The easiest way to reduce YR/YQ would be to change HND-SYD to JL (note, seems no D available on the same day) and SYD-LAX to AA (or use the AS code-share with QF or AA).

Code:
 1 AY 916D 08OCT 7 OSLHEL GK1  1715  1935  /E
     2 AY 131D 09OCT 1 HELSIN GK1  0125  1930  /E
     3 JL  38D 11OCT 3 SINHND GK1  0150  0950  /E
     4 JL  51D 20OCT 5 HNDSYD GK1  1920  0710   21OCT 6 /E
     5 AA  72D 24OCT 2 SYDLAX GK1  1010  0600  /E
     6 AA1632D 26OCT 4 LAXBOS GK1  0715  1555  /E
     7 BA 238D 27OCT 5 BOSLHR GK1  0705  1835  /E
     8 BA 762D 15NOV 3 LHROSL GK1  0750  1100  /E

WPRW„TOSL„SOSL„AAY„B9JUL23„«

PSGR TYPE  ADT - 01
     OSL
     SYD JL  D   20OCT DGLOB34         20OCT 20OCT 02P
     LAX AA  D   24OCT DGLOB34         24OCT 24OCT 02P
    FARE  NOK     57359  
    TAX   NOK       320G2 NOK       117ZN NOK     10495XT
    TOTAL NOK     68291
    ADT-01  DGLOB34
     OSL AY X/HEL AY SIN JL TYO JL SYD AA LAX AA X/BOS BA LON BA 
    XT NOK489WY NOK452US NOK70YC NOK75XY NOK41XA NOK120AY NOK355GB
    XT NOK316UB NOK7243YQ NOK74TK NOK48XFBOS4.5

MD«

ATTN*VALIDATING CARRIER SPECIFIED - AY                         „
    FORM OF PAYMENT FEES PER TICKET MAY APPLY
         MAXIMUM AMOUNT PER PASSENGER - 2049
    ATTN*AIR EXTRAS AVAILABLE - SEE WP*AE
    ATTN*BAGGAGE INFO AVAILABLE - SEE WP*BAG

WPDF«

WPDF
    PSGR TYPE ADT
    FARE  NOK     57359
    TAX   NOK       320G2 NOK       117ZN NOK     10495XT
    TOTAL NOK     68291
    OSL AY X/HEL AY SIN JL TYO JL SYD AA LAX AA X/BOS BA LON BA OSL5198.32NUC5198.32END ROE11.034127
    XT NOK10XU NOK61WL NOK344SG NOK86L7 NOK63OP
    XT NOK220SW NOK428AU NOK489WY NOK452US NOK70YC
    XT NOK75XY NOK41XA NOK120AY NOK355GB NOK316UB
    XT NOK7243YQ NOK74TK NOK48XFBOS4.5
    /////////////// TRAFFIC DOCUMENT ISSUED IN OSL ///////////////
    PU -FARE BASIS-CUR  NUC AMT ELEMENT DESCRIPTION ----------- GI
    01 DGLOB34     NOK  5198.32 OSL-OSL AY /RT RTG              RW
                        5198.32    -    TOTAL NUC
    -TAX AMT/NOK/-- CUR  CODES  DESCRIPTION-----TAX TYPE/SEQUENCE--
            3273        /YQI SERVICE FEE - CARRIER-IMPOSED MISC
                280:EUR    24.00 *OSL* *AY*               2135000
                 39:USD     3.60 *SIN* *JL*               9040090
                 39:USD     3.60 *HND* *JL*               9040090
               2915:EUR   250.00 *BOS* *BA*               2188840
            3970        /YQF SERVICE FEE - CARRIER-IMPOSED FUEL
               1298:USD   121.00 *SIN* *JL*               1057150
               2672:USD   249.00 *HND* *JL*               1057375
             428        AU/AU  PASSENGER MOVEMENT CHARGE  PMC
                428:AUD    60.00 *SYD* *AA*          001    21250
             223        AU/WY  PASSENGER SERVICES CHARGE DEPARTURE 
                223:AUD    31.28 *SYD* *AA*          001   287500
             266        AU/WY2 PASSENGER SERVICES CHARGE ARRIVAL IN
                266:AUD    37.25 *HND* *JL*          002   218551
              61        FI/WL  PASSENGER FEE  INTERNATIONAL TRANSFE
                 61:EUR     5.20 *HEL* *AY*          001    44687
              10        FI/XU  AIR TRANSPORT SUPERVISION CHARGE
                 10:EUR     0.90 *HEL* *AY*          001   120000
             355        GB/GB  AIR PASSENGER DUTY APD
                355:GBP    26.00 *LHR* *BA*          001   370000
             316        GB/UB  PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGE DEPARTURES
                316:GBP    23.18 *LHR* *BA*          001  4709938
             220        JP/SW  PASSENGER SERVICE FACILITIES CHARGE 
                220:JPY     2950 *HND* *JL*          001   475000
              74        JP/TK  INTERNATIONAL TOURIST TAX
                 74:JPY     1000 *HND* *JL*          001   100000
             320        NO/G2  AIR PASSENGER TAX
                320:NOK      320 *OSL* *AY*          001   160000
             117        NO/ZN  PASSENGER CHARGE
                117:NOK      117 *OSL* *AY*          001   112500
              86        SG/L7  AIRPORT DEVELOPMENT LEVY
                 86:SGD    10.80 *SIN* *JL*          001   105000
              63        SG/OP  AVIATION LEVY
                 63:SGD     8.00 *SIN* *JL*          001   120000
             344        SG/SG  PASSENGER SERVICE AND SECURITY FEE P
                344:SGD    43.40 *SIN* *JL*          001    27498
             120        US/AY  
                 60:USD     5.60 *LAX*               001   828212
                 60:USD     5.60 *BOS*               001   828212
             452        US/US2 
                226:USD    21.10 *BOS* *BA*          014   198906
                226:USD    21.10 *SYD* *AA*          015   149453
              41        US/XA  APHIS PASSENGER FEE PASSENGERS
                 41:USD     3.83 *SYD* *AA*          001   112500
              75        US/XY2 IMMIGRATION USER FEE
                 75:USD     7.00 *SYD* *AA*          002   130000
              70        US/YC  CUSTOMS USER FEE
                 70:USD     6.52 *SYD* *AA*          001   125000
              48        US/XF  PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE
                 48:USD     4.50 *BOS*                  
    -IATA RATES OF EXCHANGE USED IN FARE CALCULATION --------------
       11.0341270  NOK-ROE  EFF 01JUL23*INDEF
    -BSR USED IN TAX CALCULATION ----------------------------------
     1EUR:11.66125511NOK               1USD:10.72901113NOK
     1AUD:7.13136385NOK                1GBP:13.65296793NOK
     1JPY:0.07446467NOK                1SGD:7.93059079NOK
     -PRICING UNIT TRIP TYPE ---------------------------------------
      PU 01 - SPECIAL RW SINGLE FARE COMPONENT
I only see a very small difference on YR/YQ whether BOS-LHR is on AA-code or BA-code, or whether SYD-LAX is on AA-code or AS-code, when plated on BA or AY.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I was able to get a very close quote. To answer the most important part of your question, the main chunk of carrier surcharge is from QF, which adds 1145EUR each on HND-SYD and SYD-LAX.

I am a bit confused whether BA or AY was used for plating. Thought it would be AY. Anyway, there is no difference between YR/YQ whether BA or AY plate is used.

The easiest way to reduce YR/YQ would be to change HND-SYD to JL (note, seems no D available on the same day) and SYD-LAX to AA (or use the AS code-share with QF or AA).

I only see a very small difference on YR/YQ whether BOS-LHR is on AA-code or BA-code, or whether SYD-LAX is on AA-code or AS-code, when plated on BA or AY.
Your suggestion of trying to get TYO-SYD on JL is a solid win if the OP has any flexibility in the date and can find a date its available. Now that QF has a lot more Japan flights back online, it's not as hard to get JL as it was last year. Last year the entire business cabin was sold out (on any fare class, even J) months in advance sometimes. QF hands down has a better seat than JL, even though it's on the A330 and I don't care for that plane, but JL's service and generally food quality is much better. The other downside to JL is their (Hollywood) entertainment is nearly non-existent but I can tolerate that, easy to download some stuff to your own device if you're not planning to sleep.
ernestnywang and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.