Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW booking issue

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
RTW booking issue

I have prviously booked an RTW without any problems

I am currently trying to book Europe (I have tried UK and Poland as starting points) to JNB to Melbourne to LaX to Europe

I keep getting an error message that I must go in one direction and cross both the atlantic and pacific only once

As far as I can make out that is what I am doing.

I get this trying the trip in reverse too.

Any ideas?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:47 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
What is the precise route you're trying to achieve?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Krk jnb melbourne sfo lhr krk

I find availability issues melbourne sfo so i fix that with melbourne sydney lax

Then i get this error about going in one direction and crossing the 2 oceans
Old Mar 29, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
I investigated your problem using the tool (a simple KRK-JNB-SYD-LAX-LHR-KRK itinerary). Got the same error message, which appears on the second screen - where you can choose your flights.

This is actually a combination of two known bugs (well known to me, not sure if they've been reported in the xONEx online tool bugs thread - FlyerTalk Forums)
  1. The tool for some reason cannot see availability which is there (according to other tools such as ExpertFlyer)
  2. The tool sometimes suggests illegal routings
In your case
  1. The tool cannot see any trans-pacific availability (Australia to Nth America), so
  2. It suggests only flights via London (SYD-LHR-LAX); since you are flying an Eastbound RTW (because of your JNB-SYD flight), to switch to Westbound (the suggested SYD-LHR-LAX flights) is not allowed
ETA
Just noticed your handle scottishpoet. When in Melbourne you must visit my favourite pub The Drunken Poet

Last edited by pandaperth; Mar 29, 2022 at 9:00 pm
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pandaperth
I investigated your problem using the tool (a simple KRK-JNB-SYD-LAX-LHR-KRK itinerary). Got the same error message, which appears on the second screen - where you can choose your flights.

This is actually a combination of two known bugs (well known to me, not sure if they've been reported in the xONEx online tool bugs thread - FlyerTalk Forums)
  1. The tool for some reason cannot see availability which is there (according to other tools such as ExpertFlyer)
  2. The tool sometimes suggests illegal routings
In your case
  1. The tool cannot see any trans-pacific availability (Australia to Nth America), so
  2. It suggests only flights via London (SYD-LHR-LAX); since you are flying an Eastbound RTW (because of your JNB-SYD flight), to switch to Westbound (the suggested SYD-LHR-LAX flights) is not allowed
ETA
Just noticed your handle scottishpoet. When in Melbourne you must visit my favourite pub The Drunken Poet
Thanks for the info. Not sure why the tool wants me to fo SYD-LHR-LAX, that seems the long way round. it had no problem booking me on a direct SYD-LAX 3 years ago when I was krk-doh-syd-lax-ord-lhr. is there a workaround? Do I need to call someone, or put in an extra stop in Tokyo for example? I am trying to avoid that as that seems to be the part of the world where most covid restrictions are still in place
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SYD-HNL-LAX/SFO/xxx available? Going in the direction you want
Remember SYD is not the only airport in AU that has QF flights to USA: BNE & MEL
Other USA destinations: DFW and your SFO
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=c%3Ablu...=bm&PW=3&DU=mi
Old Mar 30, 2022, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
SYD-HNL-LAX/SFO/xxx available? Going in the direction you want
Remember SYD is not the only airport in AU that has QF flights to USA: BNE & MEL
Other USA destinations: DFW and your SFO
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
thanks yes my initial try was MEL SFO and it kept failling with lack of availability, changing it to SYD LAX got over that problem but introduced this idea I was doubling back on myself. I will try MEL HNL SFO
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:34 am
Original Poster

well despite picking days with BLUE "high availability" I just get for both MEL and SYD into HNL

For the date you selected, we were unable to find any availability, please select an alternate day.

I have tried for several dates in May and June, in both Y and J

It kinda feels the OW RTW tool is unusable at the moment, I don;t mind a bit of tweaking bit with dates and airports but on the whole I want trips to places I want to go and the tool figures out the routing, not going to places the tool can route me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.