Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowance BA Silver with AA

Old Feb 27, 19, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I can't seem to find a full answer to this online but am I correct in assuming that if I am BA Silver (OW Sapphire) flying American Domestic I get two bags at 23kg for myself and for anyone else on my PRN? Or is it at 32kg? Or is it just for me and no one else on my booking?

Thanks
Old Feb 27, 19, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mediamonkey View Post
I can't seem to find a full answer to this online but am I correct in assuming that if I am BA Silver (OW Sapphire) flying American Domestic I get two bags at 23kg for myself and for anyone else on my PRN? Or is it at 32kg? Or is it just for me and no one else on my booking?
Is it a "basic" fare or a real fare?
AA Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (and on AY, BA, IB) (Master thread)

The benefit is only for you.
The revised OW web site has removed the prescriptive detailed benefits of status. These are now unknow.
https://www.oneworld.com/members/british-airways#tiers
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#benefits
Old Feb 27, 19, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
It is a real fare. A Main Cabin (N class) one. It's also let me select my seats already for me and my wife (it allows for preferred seat selection)

Last edited by mediamonkey; Feb 27, 19 at 1:02 pm Reason: More info
Old Feb 27, 19, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It is a real fare. A Main Cabin (N class) one. It's also let me select my seats already for me and my wife (it allows for preferred seat selection)
The checked-baggage allowance is two bags up to 22 kg. each for oneworld Sapphire. Historically, AA extended the allowance to travel companions on the same PNR; not sure if that has changed. Your tickets should indicate baggage charges, if any.
Old Feb 27, 19, 7:11 pm

Programs: Enrich
Hello,

Thanks
I doubt that you could get free check bag for American Domestic for OWS. As referring to (see the " And when traveling to these destinations")

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Unless you travel to south/central America or internationally, then you have 1st and 2nd free check bag
Old Feb 28, 19, 2:17 am
Original Poster

I see you both found the same conflicting information as I did. When I log into manage my booking there doesn't seem to be an option to add bags or tell me about baggage allowance. I shall have to wait and see at the airport I suppose. Do AA charge more for bags at the airport than purchasing them online?
Old Feb 28, 19, 2:43 am

Programs: Enrich
Is it a solely domestic flight without international connection? One trick to avoid charges is you have both international and domestic in one PRN, this is for sure you have at least onefree check bag. I only travel on AA and JL codeshare when I was under Ruby, but have yet to travel on AA after reach Sapphire.

But I believe their price is fixed in term of online or on the spot
Old Feb 28, 19, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dici View Post
Is it a solely domestic flight without international connection? One trick to avoid charges is you have both international and domestic in one PRN, this is for sure you have at least onefree check bag. I only travel on AA and JL codeshare when I was under Ruby, but have yet to travel on AA after reach Sapphire.

But I believe their price is fixed in term of online or on the spot
Yes just a domestic flight, I'm then connecting to a different airline which is separately ticketed. I've just spoke to them and they've said I should have 2 bags allowed plus 2 for my partner. Let's see what happens at check in!
Old Feb 28, 19, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by dici View Post
I doubt that you could get free check bag for American Domestic for OWS. As referring to (see the " And when traveling to these destinations")

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp
oneworld Sapphire (OWS) indeed get up to 2 free checked bags when travelling on AA domestic.

The references for "And when traveling to these destinations" is in addition to that list. So anyone traveling to Japan on a normal economy fare gets at least two checked bags. (Emerald get up to three free.)

Search this Thread