BA Lounge Cull for OW Wide?!

Old Feb 1, 19, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Question BA Lounge Cull for OW Wide?!

Firstly a couple apologies in advance. Im aware the Rob for @Headforpoints is on here but can't recall his forum ID. I also did a search on the subject matter but didn't get a relevant result but i'm certain we can't have collectively missed this? LINK: Head For Points; One World 20th Anniversary Party Friday 01.02.19 https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...ss-conference/
Screen shot below for those not wanting to click through:

CREDIT: Head For Points

I get how for some members this would make sense although I equally see why it would be idiotic in many ways. CX having some of the best lounges in the world and of course the BA Concorde Room. Within the link is discussion of creating a OneWorld Lounge Brand. I was excited by this until I read on and saw the premise of allowing the likes of BA to kill of their own lounges and replace with a generic OW branded lounge. Now for all their faults and having many subpar lounges across the network as someone who calls LGW his home airport i'm a fan of the Business lounge there as a Silver/ Sapphire whose unlikely to reach Gold/ Emerald. I'm also aware of the hallowed place the CCR holds for those of us not lucky enough to enjoy it regularly.

CX have The Pier etal at HKG, QF have a notable one at T3 nowadays( and i am sure better ones but i've no personal experience to comment on) QR have theirs despite their refusal to abide by OW Lounge Access Rules ( generally).

How do people feel about the idea of OW allowing BA to ditch their lounges to adopt a 'one-size-fits-all' lounge. My personal worry is that the AA generic approach would be the one taken ( of the 6 i've ever used i've been underwhelmed at them all although I appreciate others may have a better view based on more experience).

ADMIN: please merge and redirect to the thread on this I tried to find, couldn't but must surely exist.
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Isn’t it what they already do at LAX (and have done for years) in the J lounge? The previous one was certainly branded OW business class lounge and I believe it is still so. I think it’s manage by QF (who also have the F lounge) and I think it’s supposed to be quite good.they have been talking of generalising the concept for a while as Skyteam already have (with success).

On on the whole I’d say large lounges allow economies of scale and the offering of more facilities and you wouldn’t think of cx ‘offering some of the best lounges in the world’ if what you have in mind are their smaller ones in FRA or KUL or even CDG all of which have other OW airline lounges. Consolidating in such airports makes sense to me.
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:40 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
yes agree that consolidating at second tier airports makes sense.

dont think BA will be culling their flagship lounges at their home ports (LGW/LHR), nor CX for that matter in HKG.

but.*A or scaryteam dominated hubs could do well with a good solid OW product i reckon
Old Feb 1, 19, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
As I said i am more than happy to see a OWL ( One World Lounge) brand adopted for outstations where 1, several or all OW Carriers lack a decent lounge my fear was in the articles assertion of 'prime carriers' shaking off lounges in favour of a Brand Z catch all version.

While I can see no long-term sense ( I see plenty of shortsightedness views in the approach! ) in the CCR / PIERS of the world being killed of in favour I also can't see any rational for a OWL programme if it is to be run alongside. It would only add to costs not reduce them so wouldn't be something that would/ should reach public discussion at such an event. - That's my thinking on it but i've been working overnight am I misreading here( open question)
Old Feb 2, 19, 12:47 am

https://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-to...irport-lounges

Seems a natural progression of what is happening with third party/outsourced lounges really.

It would help to avoid T3 style situations where there is no incentive for BA to improve its lounge as people can use the CX facility. Also some decent savings to be made by merging together the BA, CX, QF and AA lounges and doing things on an industrial scale.

Still with one opening in 2019 and two in 2020 it clearly is a slow burn, and any references to changes at Heathrow post new runway are just a paper exercise.....
Old Feb 2, 19, 12:57 am

This will make more sense at non-hub airports where a lot of different OW carriers fly to. I think people are already spinning this as them making worse lounges for status pax. But airlines have different approaches on favoring revenue class or status.

Somewhere like PVG where you have many OW airlines with just one, or a few flights per day. Doesn't make sense for any one to make it's own lounge, but by pooling together they can justify it and save money vs paying for 3rd party lounges.
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:05 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Plat/HY-Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/Gold for Life
Doesn't it let OW stop allowing other elites in to airline branded lounges by sending them to the OW Lounge?
The BA T5 F lounge would be quieter if you moved all OW Elites to another lounge.
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:14 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Inevitably this affects far more than just BA lounges, as the discussion thus far has shown.

There have been a number of threads created across the oneworld airlines, and for ease of discussion these are being consolidated in an existing thread in the oneworld forum. We’ll move this over there for merge.

NWIFlyer
Moderator - BA forum
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:28 am

Personally I think DUB would be an ideal airport for this. Currently in T1, the DAA lounge is used by every airline including LH, LX, TK, KL plus the oneworld airlines. BA operate up to 14 flights a day to LHR & LCY. IB, CX, QR, AY & S7 also operate from T1 so between those in business and OW FFers, there’s enough demand IMO
Old Feb 2, 19, 5:45 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
I can't imagine this will impact the LHR T3 lounges (they are all mostly new). Maybe if T3 ever gets a substantial renovation
​​​​​​
For BA lounges - I suspect the reference is more to yhe hodge podge of North American lounges where a oneworld lounge would make sense.

Equally would see some sense in converting the Qantas operated LAX lounges to oneworld branding.
And even the Qantas International Lounge at PER (given they no longer operate from that terminal)
Old Feb 3, 19, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by moa999 View Post
Equally would see some sense in converting the Qantas operated LAX lounges to oneworld branding.
And even the Qantas International Lounge at PER (given they no longer operate from that terminal)
The business lounge at TBIT has had the name "Oneworld Business Lounge (operated by Qantas)" since it opened

On the other hand, the other TBIT facility is simply the "Qantas First Lounge".

I do not like what Qantas has done at SIN, BNE and HKG (and is planning to do at AKL) in closing the designated First facility and making a combined lounge with 'under the counter' special items only available to Qantas' First and Uber Elite PAX - mere Emeralds don't get a look in.Nor do I like the continuation of the concept at LHR.

(Noting however, that Qantas are now building a 'First' lounge at SIN. I perceive this to be more a result of undercapacity at their current location rather than any change in Management philosophy.)

These days there is generally no reason for me to use the Qantas lounges at SIN, HKG and LHR; there are better *O options for me as an Emerald at those ports.
Old Feb 3, 19, 6:33 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, BAEC Gold, QF Gold, Hyatt Glob
At SIN what is the better Oneworld option?
Old Feb 4, 19, 3:10 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
I'd still say QF for food and wine. BA for champagne.
You cant access the new CX T4 lounge if departing T1-T3
Old Feb 4, 19, 5:41 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, BAEC Gold, QF Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by moa999 View Post
I'd still say QF for food and wine. BA for champagne.
You cant access the new CX T4 lounge if departing T1-T3
Yes my question was to @serfty saying that there are better Oneworld options at SIN than QF. The only other lounge for QF flyers is BA and I don’t think it’s better than QF. And CX, even if it was accessible, while has nicer decor, doesn’t match QF for F&B.
Old Feb 4, 19, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by sxc View Post

Yes my question was to @serfty saying that there are better Oneworld options at SIN than QF. The only other lounge for QF flyers is BA and I don’t think it’s better than QF. And CX, even if it was accessible, while has nicer decor, doesn’t match QF for F&B.
Like many things, every one is different.

I prefer the BA lounge at SIN than the Qantas option but will generally use QF for a shower. I prefer both the food and the lack of a barman in the BA lounge.

[Off topic]As a Qantas elite, when I am flying Qantas I have access to the EK lounge at SIN when it is open - BA/QF lounges don't get much of a look in at those times.[/off topic]

Search this Thread