Reload this Page >

The sad decline of Oneworld Emerald

The sad decline of Oneworld Emerald

Old Dec 31, 18, 7:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Question The sad decline of Oneworld Emerald

Interested in others perspectives. I have had OWE on AA and/or BA for as long as can remember and my sense is that the benefits and differentiation between Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire status have declined markedly over the years.

Specifically, I am referring to alliance benefits like lounge access, first class check-in, etc (not the benefits for the individual program, e.g. AA EXP flying AA). There is a general decline outside of HKG, TYO and LHR of any real first class lounges open or true first class check-in even existing for OWE members.

I used to enjoy the AA Flagship lounges throughout the system but now these are open to sapphire level members, BA's OWE lounge options have declined and the advent of things like TSA PreCheck in the USA make priority security (where it truly even exists anymore outside of facilities like AA Flagship check-in) much less of a benefit.

When traveling across OW carriers in business class or even coach on OW carriers what does holding OWE status vs OWS with another OW airline provide in 2018 outside of the potential for increased mileage earning and ostensibly a greeting (pretty meaningless IMHO)?

In the same spirit what are some of the benefits/perks written or unwritten you miss that used to exist for OWE members? My experiences at least a decade ago were access to better lounges especially in the USA as a BA OWE and priority check-in at many USA airports vs everyone with a credit card being allowed in today.
Old Dec 31, 18, 7:19 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
It’s still better than the other alliances where the highest alliance-wide status is effectively business class ground handling. At least where first class facilities are still available OWE can use them
Old Dec 31, 18, 7:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Itís still better than the other alliances where the highest alliance-wide status is effectively business class ground handling. At least where first class facilities are still available OWE can use them
Sort of with BA, CX and JAL, I mean look at Qatar's lounge products and premium business/first check-in ex DOH, only for business or first. It seems like more airlines moving to this model (which frankly I think makes sense).
Calchas likes this.
Old Dec 31, 18, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1k, LA Black
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Itís still better than the other alliances where the highest alliance-wide status is effectively business class ground handling. At least where first class facilities are still available OWE can use them
I pretty much agree with that. Where First Class facilities are available, there is a differentiation (JFK and LHR are the places where I experienced it). I flew AY and AA recently and I was given J class drinks flying Y, or free drinks in case of AA domestic, and some other small perks like that. If I'm not mistaken, on AA OWE will have a boarding group number ahead of OWS.

This might sound silly, but one thing that is still a clear differentiation to me for OWE is ASR. I fly mostly Y and I'm OWE through LATAM. Earlier in the year I flew a lot of AA and BA, and I could reserve my Y seat as early as booking, and choose extra leg room seats (which both AA and BA charge extra for) at no cost. As I'm no longer living in South America and moved to Germany, I have switched to UA and have become UA 1k, or *A Gold. If *A had 3-tier status like OW, that would mean I would probably be on the top tier with the UA 1k status. Occasionally I have to fly LH and I can't even reserve seats before check-in unless I pay for it. It looks like the two-tier level of *A doesn't allow the differentiation that OW three-tier level can get. This is the one perk I miss from my OWE status that I don't get on *A.
Old Dec 31, 18, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP seems to be complaining more about others getting more than OWE getting less.
mccartje, Zacnlinc and VonS like this.
Old Dec 31, 18, 7:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
OP seems to be complaining more about others getting more than OWE getting less.
Old Jan 14, 19, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
OP,
Title is a bit misleading. I thought I was going to read about the decline in #s of ow Emeralds.
In fact, you were talking about the "benefits in decline".

The decline in benefits is experienced throughout all alliances. The infamous airline "enhancements" as they were!
Old Jan 19, 19, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels View Post
.... There is a general decline outside of HKG, TYO and LHR of any real first class lounges open or true first class check-in even existing for OWE members......
For completeness, there are excellent F lounges also in SYD and MEL with OWE access, and soon to be in SIN as well (thus doubling your number of F lounge cities ). These 3 are courtesy of QF, who doesn't play the BA Concorde room F lounge game and gives OWE benefits. The AA FL was never really F caliber lounge, comparable to J lounges by CX/QF/BA so AA has recognized that sad fact.
BOStonTravels and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Jan 20, 19, 8:59 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
To me, OW is still going strong.
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Jan 28, 19, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I read it not as a complaint that lowly Sapphires get AA Flagship Lounge access, but rather as not seeing much point in going beyond Sapphire to get Emerald status. Kind of like complaining that Hilton Diamond isn't worth much, since once you have Gold you get free breakfast.
Old Feb 4, 19, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Quite content with OWE/BA Gold when flying BA or AA. Perhaps I set the bar low?
Zacnlinc likes this.

Search this Thread