Search

Done4 RTW Vs Multicity

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Done4 RTW Vs Multicity

Hi Everyone

I've been toying with the idea of buying a RTW done4 ticket . Thing is that I only really want to goto 3 places: Japan, Hawaii & California. I've been to these places before, but not all on the same trip. The RTW ticket would be ex Eu (i'm based in uk) during Sept this year. I've priced it around the 5-6k area. Thing is that's alot of cash..then it got me thinking that rather than buying a RTW ticket that's good for 16 stops..maybe i can buy a multicity ticket for cheaper, since i only really want to stop 3 times? Did some rough pricing and it varies between 3.1 -3.6k each. I just wondered if anyone had gone down this route before and was there any pros or cons to doing a trip this way?? Rather than standard RTW? Thxs
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I'm confused - Europe, North America and Asia is 3 continents, not 4. Why are you pricing a DONE4, not a DONE3?
It would also help enormously if you specified the currency in which you are quoting prices!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Price in gbp
i just use the search facility on ow site...
so im pricing a done 3...apologies
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:12 pm

You need to compare the prices for your dates and routing. One ways are often relatively expensive. One advantage of the RTW is the flexibility. If you are willing to travel on airlines like PIA and use Avianca (a small detour ) between LAX and Europe you might end up cheaper with separate tickets.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:44 am
Original Poster

To be fair..this is a 3 week holiday. Japan for 2 wks and Hawaii for 1 week. Not bothered which way around. booking a Done3 rtw ticket seems expensive in GBP. I've been using Google Flights to mock up a multistop route..is this a reliable way or are there better places to go to give me a realistic price? Apologies if im not using the correct terminology or procedures..its my first real time at booking a ticket such as this.

thxs
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jock
The RTW ticket would be ex Eu (i'm based in uk) during Sept this year. I've priced it around the 5-6k area. Thing is that's alot of cash..then it got me thinking that rather than buying a RTW ticket that's good for 16 stops..maybe i can buy a multicity ticket for cheaper, since i only really want to stop 3 times? Did some rough pricing and it varies between 3.1 -3.6k each. I just wondered if anyone had gone down this route before and was there any pros or cons to doing a trip this way?? Rather than standard RTW? Thxs
I have never chosen a multi-city over a xONEn, but if it works for you then go for it.

Clarification, xONEn tickets are good for a maximum of 16 direct or non-stop flights (open jaws count as a flight segment), which would be a maximum of 15 stopovers.

There is no charge for date, time, or carrier changes when using a xONEn ticket, and they are refundable less 5% in the event you need to cancel before departure. Routing changes incur a $125 USD fee.

FWIW, DONE3 is Ł4824 ex OSL, but you need to add taxes to that amount. You would need to buy a separate ticket from wherever you live to OSL to position yourself to start in OSL.

DONE3 is booked into D class as opposed to discount muti-city ticket that are most likely booked into I class (not upgradable w/avios) , which means on the LAX or SFO to LHR flight (if that's the route you choose), if you book the DONE3 through BA you could use your Avios to upgrade to first if you like. You could do the same on the LHR-NRT/HND BA flights. Alternatively, to save on fuel fines, you could book your DONE3 through AA (AA RTW phone: +1.800.247.3247) and fly AA J from LAX to LHR which would be a better business class choice IMO and fly JL or CX (connect in HKG) J to Japan.

For your purposes, it sounds like you have already answered your own question and the multi-city may work better for you, especially if you can get it on airlines with better business class than BA. Watch out when comparing itineraries to make sure that all of your flight segments are in business class as many of the search engines (Kayak, Google Flights, etc) return results with mixed cabin classes. Also check the quality of the selected airlines' business classes. Some airlines are still behind the times, even ones that would surprise you. Emirates has one of the best first class, but on many of their flights their business class angled flat seats come up lacking.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Jan 30, 2018 at 6:37 am Reason: Post corrected
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
You would need to buy a separate ticket from LHR to OSL to position yourself to start in OSL.
Why is that?

The OP lives in Scotland. There is no need at all for him to buy a separate ticket from LHR when there are cheap, direct flights to Oslo from, for example, Aberdeen.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by henry999
Why is that?

The OP lives in Scotland. There is no need at all for him to buy a separate ticket from LHR when there are cheap, direct flights to Oslo from, for example, Aberdeen.
OK, then buy one from whatever city he lives in. Previous post corrected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.