DONE3 routing 2019

Old Oct 11, 17, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN - BA Silver
DONE3 routing 2019

I am starting to plan our family's RTW trip for 2019 and have following in mind:
February 2019: AMM-LHR-BRU
July/August 2019: BRU-DOH-CMB-SIN-oMNL-HKG-TYO-HNL-LAX-oSFO-MIA-PTY-MIA-LHR
December 2019: LHR-DXB

Itinerary is priced around 22,000 for family of 2 adults and 2 children <12 years)

Questions:
- is there a cheaper starting point then AMM for my itinerary? (I live in BRU)
- am I correct that I can book the itinerary as from 350 days before flight dates, but only have to pay once the tickets are issued (at least 28 days before first departure) ?
- hypothetical question: can I skip the last flight (LHR-DXB) without penalties?

Thanks
Old Oct 11, 17, 6:16 am

I can only answer 2 and 3.

In my experience (but with AONEs) you pay the price at the time you issue the ticket. If you want to lock the price in you should buy now. You need to pay when the ticket is issued. There is a risk that the issuing airline goes under before you finish the ticket and you would loose some or all the money - as is the case with Air Berlin).
Also some airlines cancel reservations if tickets are not issued a certain time after the reservation is made. This was for A class, but it was only a few weeks.

I know that several people where not using sector(s) at the end of the ticket without problems.
Old Oct 11, 17, 6:24 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA Gold
Originally Posted by janvdr View Post
Questions:
Not that I know of
But checking in ExpertFlyer, at today's exchange rate, the base fare of a DONE3 ex-AMM is 5,301EUR and ex-OSL it is 5,590EUR - a difference of 289EUR per adult BUT you wouldn't have to position to Jordan to start your trip
(of course, if your intention is to have a holiday in Jordan at the start, then ignore this )
- am I correct that I can book the itinerary as from 350 days before flight dates, but only have to pay once the tickets are issued (at least 28 days before first departure) ?
NO
On both counts
  • Airlines booking systems vary in how far ahead they can make reservations. For example AA can only book 330 days ahead. Most others I think are about 350 days. BUT this means that the last flight on your itinerary must be bookable at that time
  • You will not have a ticketed itinerary until you have paid. Unticketed itineraries will be auto-canceled by the various airlines after a few days (I expect a ticketing guru such as @Calchas will clarify this point in due course)
  • However, since you are thinking of purchasing business class tickets, there should be no need to book your trip as early as possible - business class availability is usually pretty good IME
- hypothetical question: can I skip the last flight (LHR-DXB) without penalties?
Yes.
Enjoy your planning

Last edited by pandaperth; Oct 11, 17 at 6:32 am
Old Oct 11, 17, 8:32 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by janvdr View Post
I am starting to plan our family's RTW trip for 2019 and have following in mind:
February 2019: AMM-LHR-BRU
July/August 2019: BRU-DOH-CMB-SIN-oMNL-HKG-TYO-HNL-LAX-oSFO-MIA-PTY-MIA-LHR
December 2019: LHR-DXB

Itinerary is priced around €22,000 for family of 2 adults and 2 children <12 years)

Questions:

Thanks
A few things...

1. I'm not aware of any Oneworld service between SIN and MNL.
2. TLV is a little cheaper than AMM at present (around €20.) Cathay Pacific flies to HKG from TLV, so while it would alter the order of stops in Asia, it would be quite doable, e.g. TLV-HKG-CMB-KUL-MNL-NRT-HNL...
3. Children under the age of 12 receive a 25% discount. Thus your ex-AMM total would be €18,554 before taxes and fees. (Maybe that's already been taken into account and your €22,000 includes taxes and fees?)
4. By starting in OSL you would free at least two segments that could be used elsewhere. The cost of positioning a party of four to/from the Middle East (AMM or TLV) would probably be a wash.
5. You could fly from PTY to BRU via MAD, thereby avoiding BA's fees and saving another segment for use in North America or Europe.

If you flew into Kuala Lumpur instead of Singapore after Sri Lanka, you could just take one of the luxury buses from KL to Singapore and back- €20 at most each way - and then proceed to MNL from KUL.

These changes would make your base routing as simple as OSL-DOH-CMB-KUL-MNL-HKG-NRT-HNL-LAX-SFO-MIA-PTY-MAD-HEL-OSL. If you wanted to use inexpensive intra-Europe flights outside the RTW to get to and from Madrid, London or Helsinki (from/to BRU) then you could save a European stopover (you're allowed two) for use later, or you could add the available segments to your North America itinerary, perhaps something like this - OSL-DOH-CMB-KUL-MNL-HKG-NRT-HNL-PHX-ANC-PHX-SFO-MIA-PTY-MAD-HEL-OSL which includes Alaska. Many alternatives.

I would purchase tickets as soon as you can complete the itinerary through the booking process. Fares can go up at any point, and even if you have to make changes after ticketing, the change fee of US$125 per ticket is not a bad deal, especially considering that currency fluctuations can negate that cost easily.

Happy planning!

Last edited by Gardyloo; Oct 11, 17 at 8:46 am
Old Oct 30, 17, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Because I do not like risk, I prefer to book and ticket my itinerary as soon as possible, to lock in the fare. If you ticket with any of the major OneWorld airlines, there isn't any realistic risk of the airline going broke. In theory, you can issue a ticket with open-dated flights at the end, but in practice this is difficult (some airlines can't/won't do it). What I do is figure out my desired dates for the first set of flights, then pick dummy dates for the rest of the flights. These are dates chosen simply to be able to have a flight booked, preserving the desired stopover versus connection status of each airport. Once all my dummy dates are within the booking window of the airline, I book and ticket. Typically this will be ~10 months before my first flight. Closer to departure, when the remainder of the flights are bookable on my desired dates, I have the airline change the dates. This is free.

Search this Thread