Wiki Posts
Search

The Disastrous OW Lounge Situation at Delhi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Thumbs down The Disastrous OW Lounge Situation at Delhi

Delhi is a growing airport, which is currently operated by seven Oneworld carriers: AY, BA, CX, JL, MH, UT and QR. These have around 15 daily departures.

Still none of these carriers has its own lounge at DEL. They all use the crappy Plaza Premium lounges or the somewhat better ITC lounge. These tend to be very crowded when up to five OW departures are at the same time.

Let us compare this with *A. Not only AI, but also LH and SQ have their own lounges at DEL.

Why on earth does OW show no interest towards the lounge situation at DEL? Wouldn't it make sense to have a common airport lounge at DEL?

Last edited by Justinus; Sep 27, 2017 at 11:49 pm
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Perhaps the station managers of all these airlines have more access to data than me and you and this data showed that it's cheaper for them to use the PPL than invest in a lounge.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
While I agree in general, I'm just surprised that the OP found the ITC Green lounge to be better than the Plaza Premium Lounge (the one that's in the general SQ/LH lounge area).

Daily: CX has 2 330s , UL has a 320 and a bit, MH more or less a 330(some days, just a 737), and BA's got 2 wide-bodies. Reasonable total uplift, but with the possible exception of BA, each has fewer seats exDEL than LH/SQ/AI.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AY Gold, LH SEN, SK Silver, HH Gold, PP
Flying BA First Class ex-DEL and sitting in a Priority Pass lounge cannot be considered “normal”. Also out of the two daily CX flights one has First Class.

Personally I hope that CX would open a lounge at DEL. In these places the benefits of Star Alliance are clearly higher...
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jagmeets
While I agree in general, I'm just surprised that the OP found the ITC Green lounge to be better than the Plaza Premium Lounge
The ITC Green Lounge is used i a by BA and MH. It is much cleaner and calmer than the Premium Lounge next door.

I virtually never eat in lounges, so I cannot comment nor compare the food offerings.... ITC has much better gin (Tangaray) than Premium...

Last time I visited the Premium Lounge above the Emirates, LH and SQ lounges, it was crappy and dirty. There was even a pidgeon flying in the lounge. No one cared about it.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:42 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
There’s often pidgeons in the BA T5 lounges.
deeruck, nancypants and mhy like this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Perhaps the station managers of all these airlines have more access to data than me and you and this data showed that it's cheaper for them to use the PPL than invest in a lounge.
All that the Station Managers know is that their bosses back home could not care two hoots about their passengers and simply opt for the cheapest option. BA's attitude towards their customers is well known, MH simply cannot afford to spend any money on lounges, CX is in dire straits as well, UL is struggling too and AY is practising its usual Nordic thrift.
nancypants and allset2travel like this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:47 am
Original Poster

I still think that BA or CX could invest in a lounge at DEL.While the other OW carriers would use the same lounge, they would obviously pay for each guest.

Perhaps it would not make big money, but enhance the OW option in the big and growing Indian market.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Justinus
Last time I visited the Premium Lounge above the Emirates, LH and SQ lounges, it was crappy and dirty. There was even a pidgeon flying in the lounge. No one cared about it.
What the... Are you serious? A pidgeon flying randomly around in the lounge?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
…pidgeon…
Originally Posted by sxc
…pidgeons…
Originally Posted by ffay005
…pidgeon…
While they definitely shouldn't be in lounges, neither should there be a letter 'd' in pigeon…

Calchas and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by FlyingPrince22
Flying BA First Class ex-DEL and sitting in a Priority Pass lounge cannot be considered “normal”. Also out of the two daily CX flights one has First Class.
Sorry for being pedantic. CX is 2* 2-class 330s to DEL daily (No premium economy). I may be wrong but BOM, which gets a 77W also gets the 3 class version without F.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
I'm a frequent traveler to DEL. I'd like to see a better lounge, but I wouldn't call the current one "disastrous".
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:46 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Strange comment given that the PPLounge is completely open and that a pigeon even the size of an elephant could get in and out into the main terminal without bother. Hardly contained against its will. As for exiting to landside, thats completely different, but no problem if the immigration guys are asleep in their booths (again).
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Was in the PP lounge today for the JL flight. There is some kind of construction going on just below the lounge and it's making a hell of a lot of noise. Going next door to the ITC lounge (could use Priority Pass) wouldn't have helped. The wine/liquor situation is pretty dismal. Opted for Kingfisher instead. Food was sufficient. WiFi pretty lame at 200mb then you have to get a new login from the desk. Been in worse lounges but oneWorld could definitely do better.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by sxc
There’s often pidgeons in the BA T5 lounges.
Beneficial to code-share with American Eagle?
Calchas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.