Oneworld elite strategy

Old Sep 22, 17, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Oneworld elite strategy

Advice.

I am currently Alaska MVP 75k Gold and AA exec plat. Also, I am JAL Global Club member (oneworld sapphire).

I am in the middle of 2 DONE fare. 14 segments left in each. one ex MPM and another ex CAI. There is a good chance that I will have 27 segments left for 2018.

I have 50k JAL miles that will expire by Oct 2018. The mileage expiration is 3-years and the only way to extend is by being JAL emerald which can be achieved by having 80k flyon points (status points).

I have 8 AA system wide upgrade that havent been consumed as I and my family are all flying paid RTW fare. I have over 1 millions AA miles and I have used them quite bit. Example. booked 6 tickets from Asia to Cairo for positioning in F or J on EY.

I estimate that I can fly almost 120k flown miles on the 2 remaining RTWs since there is no where that I need to go.

For mileage.

Alaska gives 3.5 miles per flown miles on CX, JL, QF, LA. 2.75 miles for AA (international only) and 4.75 miles per flown miles on BA for D class. and 4.25 miles per flown miles on AY D class.

AA gives 2.45 miles per flown miles on CX JL, BA, IB, QF, QR, QF. 2.2 for LA
and 1.25 for JJ.

JAL only gives elite bonus on IB, BA and AA (and JL).

JAL gives route bonus for intra-asia and intra oceania of 1.5.
ie. if i credit 8 sectors
CMB NRT CMB, NRT DEL NRT CMB NRT and NRT MEL NRT D classes to JAL.
that will be 68000 flyon points. only 12000 flyon points are needed for JAL sapphire and this consumes only 35000 flown miles.

JAL flyon points can be MR easily intra japan and they give 2x domestic factor.
HND ISG HND is 5648 flyon points for 21600 yen.

For AA, I would need over 40000 flown miles to get 10000 EQD.
Every flown miles that I credit to AA in D class, i would lose value comparing to crediting to Alaska because 1) earn less AA miles, 2) earn less valuable miles.
I estimate AA miles at 1.4 and AS miles at 1.9c per miles. so if I credit 40000 flown miles to AS, I would get 2660 USD in value, while I get only 1372 in value.

Even that, I would still be short on EQM. 40000 flown busienss class is only 60000 EQM. and i have almost 20K EQM booked for less than 1k EQD. so i would need to either credit more paid J for EQD and/or buy more tickets for EQM. (looking at bulk fare).

In return, I would get 4 swus that will expire in Jan 2020, and award redeposit fee.

(i dont travel a lot of US domestic, so upgrade is not a huge deal for me on unlimited upgrade).

For Alaska, I plan to do MR for 5 weekends before end of Feb due to double miles on selected route. PHL LAX PHL is 257 and I can earn over 15000 AS miles. that will get me 24K EQM, and I just need 66k eqm. If i can re ticketed into flying BA at low fuel surchage, those BA flights will definitely credited into AS. (example, JL codeshare NRT LHR). just 2 segments on BA can net almost 30K EQM on AS.

Do you think it make any sense for me to go for emerald in two programs?
Old Sep 26, 17, 7:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Wow!! 27 D segments to fly in 2018 and no place you really need to go. Truly a MRer's dream. Your decisions may be tough, but they are the kind that are good to have.
Regarding your question -any sense to go for emerald in two programs? It really comes down to two factors: 1) What are the other alternatives? As I see it with these tickets, your alternatives are two OW emeralds or 1 OW and 1 AS. Given that, IMHO much better to have 1 AS and 1 OW. The marginal benefit of 2 OW is very little, except for upgrades on both airlines and that factor does not seem to be all that important given your travel patterns. If your calculations for relative value of AS miles are correct (you might want to double check this, they may not be) earning in AS seems attractive and they do offer some good redemption alternatives. So 1 OW and1 AS look good.
Of course all this depends on how you plan to use the emerald status benefits and the airline(s) you otherwise use for travel. Once you have picked your programs for status, you might want to fine tune your flites and routes to maximize your objective-rdm, eqd, etc.
I read part of your post as suggesting you are doing this with your family. IF so, that open up more options for each member to pursue a different airline status. Having a top tier status in a different airline for each member of your family would be an unique accomplishment.
Curious to know your final decision and route. Please let us know.
Happy travels.
Old Sep 27, 17, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by rens View Post
Wow!! 27 D segments to fly in 2018 and no place you really need to go. Truly a MRer's dream. Your decisions may be tough, but they are the kind that are good to have.
Regarding your question -any sense to go for emerald in two programs? It really comes down to two factors: 1) What are the other alternatives? As I see it with these tickets, your alternatives are two OW emeralds or 1 OW and 1 AS. Given that, IMHO much better to have 1 AS and 1 OW. The marginal benefit of 2 OW is very little, except for upgrades on both airlines and that factor does not seem to be all that important given your travel patterns. If your calculations for relative value of AS miles are correct (you might want to double check this, they may not be) earning in AS seems attractive and they do offer some good redemption alternatives. So 1 OW and1 AS look good.
Of course all this depends on how you plan to use the emerald status benefits and the airline(s) you otherwise use for travel. Once you have picked your programs for status, you might want to fine tune your flites and routes to maximize your objective-rdm, eqd, etc.
I read part of your post as suggesting you are doing this with your family. IF so, that open up more options for each member to pursue a different airline status. Having a top tier status in a different airline for each member of your family would be an unique accomplishment.
Curious to know your final decision and route. Please let us know.
Happy travels.
thanks for the reply.

I got the ticket initially for using it as round trip NYC to HKG. (fly one done from NYC to HKG, and another DONE back from HKG to NYC) during christmas - which is a peak season for Y class ticket.

It comes down to 3 options. Alaska will always re qualify, as it has superior earn and burn rate (the best kick back per miles flown).

3 options are
1) Alaska MVP 75k gold + AA emerald + JAL emerald
2) Alaska + AA
3) Alaska + JAL.

For cost.
JAL

it would costs me 8 of the 27 sectors about 32K BIS and 500 USD (to pick up the remaining status points).

benefits: extend my JAL mileage expiration, and also my sister JAL mileage expiration.

opportunity cost, since I currently earn 35% elite bonus on JAL and will work the way to JAL emerald, I would lose on elite bonus comparing to Alaska,
miles loss is approx 60k RDM miles (I value JAL miles and AS miles in similar value, so I dont lose value on the currencies basis) as I earn 350% on AS vs 150% to 200% per miles flown. (depending on my progress). But it can be a bit less because JL codeshare CMB NRT (4 sectors) cant get credit on AS. If I stick with AS and credit to AS, i wouldnt fly this route unless I credit to AA.

AA: I have on upside booking which should be special fare. that would net 500 EQD and 5000 EQM. a cheap booking to CUR for almost 5000 EQM and 150 EQD, and another long haul HKG USA booking for 10000 EQM and 300 EQD.

If I go for AA exec plat, all these trips should credit to AA for EQM since I want to credit as few D class to AA as possible due to the loss of value from AS vs AA. Since I still need 11k EQD and I would need to credit at least 40K BIS to AA on D classes. and pay some cash for the rest of EQD and EQM. (try to get bulk fare or partner).

The opportunity cost is in north of 2k USD. (loss of value in less AA miles, additional cost on AA mileage run and credit HKG USA to AA instead of EY which gives 100% on all fare classes, as it is used SWU, i dont have to credit to AA for the benefits).

The upside. 4 systemwide upgrades (i have 7 in my acct now and have hard to using it), award redeposit. unlimited domestic upgrade (i dont travel a lot domestic ). do I want to pay 2k or even 3k for all theses?

----
the other thing is that if I fly CAI HNL fare, the domestic AA sectors cant be credit to AS in 2018. credit to AA earns too few miles. If I do have JL option, it can go there. (saving is not huge since domestic JL run is so cheap).

RE my family.

My dad used to complain that I wasted my money doing mileage run 8 years ago....
even in 2016 when he started the DONE4 ex JNB, he was saying that it wasnt that cheap as he had to position there.. fast forward today, he is now BA emerald and enjoys first class CX lounge and wherever he goes. he is now saying that he wants to buy the ex MPM DONE fare at the current price to keep status.

my mom, dad and niece all have BA gold (they had new account, so they can time it so that they get 4 BA sectors and 2500 tier points in the first year).

my sister and her bf had BA account and had different tier point years.
They both have JAL global club. my sister is making Alaska MVP gold this weekend.

just try to maximize the benefits with all these tickets. (as i am truly cheap!)

Search this Thread