Wiki Posts
Search

3 continent itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa exp, spg plat, HH gold
3 continent itinerary

I have been reading this board and now am ready to try a rtw from LAX. I would like to do a AONE3 (unless it seems that it's not worth it and that I need to try AONE4). Anyway, I would like your ideas on the routings that would get the most miles. My preferences for continents would be Europe and either Asia or South Pacific. I would also like to try CX first class. Thanks for your ideas!

------------------
Old Mar 7, 2004, 6:01 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
You can do an AONE3 ex-LAX only with Asia (ie NA-EUR-ASIA) - if you want to go to Aus (SWP) you have to do a SWP as you would need to go via Asia to get there.

[This message has been edited by alect (edited Mar 07, 2004).]
Old Mar 7, 2004, 6:58 pm

Where do you want to go, for how long, do you want to take a break from the rtw, when do you want to go? Are you going only for the miles or the most miles for where you would like to go? And you do know about the cheaper fares ex-CAI? You won't get much advice without these additional facts.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:21 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by headinclouds:
Where do you want to go, for how long, do you want to take a break from the rtw, when do you want to go? Are you going only for the miles or the most miles for where you would like to go? And you do know about the cheaper fares ex-CAI? You won't get much advice without these additional facts.</font>
Thanks for the quick reply. I would have 10-14 days total, so basically it is to get miles. If possible, I would like to spend a couple of days in Hong Kong and/or Singapore, but if I got more miles going somewhere else, I would be open to that. As for other parts of the world, I would stop a copule of days in whatever cities got me the most miles. Lastly, after reading this board, I would like to try CX's first class as it seems to be the best around.

I know about the ex CAI fares, but for me to fly r/t to CAI from LAX in business or first (being quite tall, coach would be torture for me) would end up more or less what I would save on the RTW fare.

Thanks again for your help.

Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:38 am

One possibility if you are willing to wait for SWISS to enter Oneworld (apr 2004??) and fly during the summer. This maximizes the first class segments on CX and is about 50K base miles for a AONE3. The FC flights to Jakarta may soon disappear though. I believe that there will always be one FC CX flight to SIN and NRT.

lax-zrh-dxb-zrh-dxb-lhr-hkg-sin-hkg-cgk-hkg-jfk-yvr-dfw-anc-dfw-lax
Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:36 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by headinclouds:

lax-zrh-dxb-zrh-dxb-lhr-hkg-sin-hkg-cgk-hkg-jfk-yvr-dfw-anc-dfw-lax
</font>

My guess would be that once LX is part of OW and included on xONEx rules, the ZRH-DXB sectors would be restricted in the same way as LHR-DXB sectors are currently.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alect:

My guess would be that once LX is part of OW and included on xONEx rules, the ZRH-DXB sectors would be restricted in the same way as LHR-DXB sectors are currently.
</font>
Turkey isn't in the restricted list for segments between the UK and far-flung destinations in Europe/middle east.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 2:56 pm

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jerry a. laska:
Turkey isn't in the restricted list for segments between the UK and far-flung destinations in Europe/middle east.</font>
Is Turkey classed as Middle East? If so, it would be in the restricted list. And does it matter which side of the Bosporus?
Old Mar 8, 2004, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF ExLurker:
Is Turkey classed as Middle East? If so, it would be in the restricted list. And does it matter which side of the Bosporus?</font>
Is it but it isn't. From the rules:
33N NOTE 1: NO MORE THAN 2 FREE SEGMENTS BETWEEN THE U.K.
34N AND:
35N .
36N .
37N . ALGERIA ARMENIA AZERBAIJAN BAHRAIN BULGARIA CYPRUS
38N .
39N .
40N .EGYPT GEORGIA GREECE IRAN ISRAEL JORDAN
41N .
42N . KUWAIT LEBANON MACEDONIA MALTA MOROCCO OMAN
43N .
44N .
45N . FUNCHAL,PORTUGAL QATAR ROMANIA RUSSIA SAUDIA ARABIA SYRIA
46N .
47N .
48N .
49N . TUNISIA UNITED ARAB EMIRATES UKRAINE YUGOSLAVIA
http://www.hardlink.com/~markdu/OWFi...eExplorer.html

If looking at the BA version of the rules "the Middle East" is added to the end of the list.
http://www.tarom.net/ba/explorerlatest.pdf

But see this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum83/HTML/001993.html

This is why you can do LHR-DXB-LHR-IST-LHR, but not LHR-DXB-LHR-CAI-LHR or CAI-LHR-IST-LHR but not CAI-LHR-DXB-LHR.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alect:

</font>
Given the restrictions, do you have any other suggestions to maximize the miles I could fly?
Also, How does Swiss's first class compare to BA or other one-world airlines?
Lastly, if I start in LAX, am I still able to have all the North American segments that were listed?

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TimF10:
Given the restrictions, do you have any other suggestions to maximize the miles I could fly?</font>
LAX-ZRH, ZRH-DXB, DXB-LHR, LHR-IST, IST-LHR, LHR-SIN . . . would work for the Europe segments and the intercontinental segs in and out, assuming no hangups with swiss entry to OW.

[This message has been edited by jerry a. laska (edited Mar 08, 2004).]
Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by TimF10
Lastly, if I start in LAX, am I still able to have all the North American segments that were listed?
Yes, but you would only be allowed two stopovers (stays of 24 hours or more) in North America.

Last edited by christep; Apr 3, 2004 at 12:33 am
Old Mar 8, 2004, 5:50 pm
In Memoriam

</font>
Not necessarily. This seems to be a BA driven restriction. Note the unrestricted ability to do CAI-BCN/MAD on IB or DXB-HEL on AY.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:53 am

Remember that the OP wants to fly FC with as many CX segments. That is why I suggested all of the DXB segments as they have true first class service at this time. Latest gossip from the AA RTW desk is that SWISS is joining sometime between 2 & 3 quarter of this year. More delays, sigh...
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:49 am
Original Poster

I am sorry to hear about the delay with Swiss as I hear they have great service. Assuming that Swiss won't be part of Oneworld until late this year, is there another way of doing the RTW but still having segments on CX (my understanding is that they have the best first class experience)? I'd also be open to trying BA, if that makes it easier.
Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.