Wiki Posts
Search

airport taxes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2004, 7:45 am
Original Poster

airport taxes

Hello,
We are planning a trip with one world and we want to calculate how much taxes in total we have to pay. We already got a price from Cairo but it seems us pretty expensive. So we want to check it out.
When do you have to pay airport taxes? If you arrive or if you leave or both? Do you have to pay taxes if you only do a transfer?
Thank you for answering,
Tinneke
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Hi Tinneke Huygen,

I assuem you are referring to one of Oneworld's Around the World products, either the Oneworld Explorer or the Global Explorer. For the most part, the taxes will be included in the price of the ticket. The amount of taxes will depend on where you are going and to how many places. On my most recent twenty segment, five continent Oneworld Explorer, my taxes were about $240, which was in addition to the fare. All was paid in advance.

That said, there may be some taxes that were not collected when the ticket was purchaes that you will have to pay. I remember that that was the case in Bangkok on my last Oneworld Explorer. Also, sometimes the ticket is not big enough to contain all the tax information. If that happens, the ticketing agent should include a separate sheet with all the tax information, showing what you paid. Despite this, you may be asked to double pay certain taxes. This has happened to me in Chile, where Lan Chile has always sought to collect extra taxes from me. I always just pay them as they are never for very much money (under $5) and I don't think it is worth arguing with them.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:34 am

Plus, there are some countries which don't trust the airlines to collect the taxes for them. So far on my RTW that is New Zealand ($25NZ), Indonesia (100,000 RP), Peru ($28 US), and Ecuador ($25 US).
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:19 pm
In Memoriam

Taxes are almost always paid for departures, although you can also be hit with visa fees upon entry to a country. As has been noted previously, most, but not all, taxes are included in the ticket price. For a list, by country, of the taxes included in the ticket price see here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.