My first RTW

Old Dec 30, 2003, 11:19 pm
In Memoriam

Your SEA-CUN and CUN-LAX flights are in jeopardy. It looks like AA is discontinuing these direct flights in early January.

You can go BKK-BOM direct but for BKK-DEL you need to transit HKG.

You could go IST-BCN-CAI instead of IST-LHR-CAI.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

I think I have nailed down my final routing as follows:

CNS-SYD
SYD-AKL
AKL-HKG
HKG-BKK
BKK-HKG
HKG - Delhi (DEL)
Delhi (DEL) - London (LHR)
London (LHR) - Istanbul (IST)
IST - LHR
London (LHR) - Cairo (CAI)
Cairo (CAI) - Barcelona (BCN)
Barcelona (BCN)-MAD-Rio (GIG)
GIG-Santiago(SCL)
SCL-Buenos Aires(BUE)
BUE-MIA
MIA-BZE
BZE-DFW
DFW-LAX
LAX-SYD

Instead of going to Cancun, I am just going to fly to Belize, which has better diving

When I order, I will give them the routing info. However, I want to make sure I understand the ticketing rules.

I think I need to ticket all segments up to and including the first international segment. I think this means the following segments:
CNS-SYD
SYD-AKL
AKL-HKG

I think I need to ticket these segments 7 days before. And once the segments are ticketed, a ticket reissue is required to change the date (if it is more than 7 days away) thus incurring the change fee.

So it looks like I can't make any changes to the flights in the originating continent without paying the re-ticketing fee, right? For example, I can't stay in CNS longer if I wanted to, unless I want to pay to reissue the ticket.

I plan to leave all other segments open so I can change the date without incurring the change fee. For example, once I get into HK, I will just call a day or two before to get the next flight.

Is my understanding of the rules correct?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by alex_tdi (edited Jan 12, 2004).]
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:43 pm

Out of curiosity, what class is this trip in?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:44 pm
In Memoriam

Your first international segment is SYD-AKL. As you are starting your trip in Oz, you do not have the 7 day restriction. You can make reservations and changes anytime. You must be ticketed not later than 1 hour before your first flight. Of course, if you attempt to make last minute reservations on any of your segments you might find that the class you are trying to fly is not available.

You left off a critical segment. Your last segment must be LAX-SYD as you need to complete the RTW and end in Oz.

The designation for the international airport in Buenos Aires is EZE.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

I am doing this econ class Not enough moolah for business. Next time maybe.

I wasn't not aware of OZ's exemption from the 7 day rule.

So if I understand ExMo's post correctly, I can call up QA and arrange the routing, fly into OZ, pay for the tickets, and then call up a few days in advance to get a seat on the flight that I want (taking into the account the risk that the seat may not be available).

So if I fly into CNS and decide I want to stay a few extra days before going to SYD, I can? Cool!

Alex
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CNS-SYD-AKL-HKG-BKK-HKG-DEL-LHR-IST-LHR-CAI-BCN-MAD-GIG-SCL-EZE-MIA-BZE-DFW-LAX-SYD is 46974 base miles.

You have 5 Eu segments LHR-IST-LHR-CAI-BCN-MAD. Only allowed 4

My understanding was that you cannot change the first international segement, once ticketed

[This message has been edited by Mwenenzi (edited Jan 12, 2004).]
Old Jan 13, 2004, 6:21 am
Original Poster

The BCN-MAD-GIG is a direct flight (same flight number), so from what I have learned it is counted as a single segemnt.

And what about my base miles?
Old Jan 13, 2004, 7:39 am
In Memoriam

Well, almost. You can change the first segment but it will require a ticket reissue with whatever fare and rules are then in effect. There is no OW charge for the reissue but some airlines (notably BA) have been charging a service fee for ticket changes.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 7:41 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alex_tdi:
The BCN-MAD-GIG is a direct flight (same flight number), so from what I have learned it is counted as a single segemnt.

And what about my base miles?
</font>
If you're flying BCN-MAD-GIG on one flight number, it's better to write only BCN-GIG, because AFAIK you will only get miles for the lenght of BCN-GIG directly thus 5281 miles (and not 5347 for BCN-MAD-GIG).
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:23 am
ak

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ExMo:
Well, almost. You can change the first segment but it will require a ticket reissue with whatever fare and rules are then in effect. There is no OW charge for the reissue but some airlines (notably BA) have been charging a service fee for ticket changes.</font>
According to the rules, travel originating in areas 2/3 don't require a ticket reissue for changes to the first segment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.