Wiki Posts
Search

CX 777-300ER F vs Qatar A350 J

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
CX 777-300ER F vs Qatar A350 J

Locked in some CX JFK-HKG F & J (will look to upgrade that to F) yesterday for our honeymoon in June, which we'll spend in SE Asia. Now I'm working on the return (to BOS ultimately) and the two options I'm looking at are CX HKG-JFK/BOS on the 777-300ER again in F or QR DOH-PHL/BOS on the A350 in J. What's everyone's thought on which to go far (assuming there is availability)?

I'm leaning towards QR because we've never flown them, it's the A350 which we haven't flown yet and to mix it up. But then I know the CX F experience should be pretty awesome...
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
and you posted this in the AAForum becuase?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
We did both on our honeymoon last year - outbound PHL-DOH-MLE in QR J (PHL-DOH was on the A350) and coming home BKK-HKG-ORD in CX F, all booked on AA miles.

J in QR was very nice, but CX F was a clear level above - large, very private pods, personal service, caviar course etc. If you have the miles to spring for F with the new redemption costs I would recommend it - we still remember the flight home on CX as one of the highlights of the trip.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chinatown
and you posted this in the AAForum becuase?
Both are award partners of AA and generally known as the best value for premium class mile redemption to Asia?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 76toPHL
Both are award partners of AA and generally known as the best value for premium class mile redemption to Asia?
Exaclty. I should have specified I used and am using AA miles, although I figured it was assumed.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 76toPHL
We did both on our honeymoon last year - outbound PHL-DOH-MLE in QR J (PHL-DOH was on the A350) and coming home BKK-HKG-ORD in CX F, all booked on AA miles.

J in QR was very nice, but CX F was a clear level above - large, very private pods, personal service, caviar course etc. If you have the miles to spring for F with the new redemption costs I would recommend it - we still remember the flight home on CX as one of the highlights of the trip.
Excellent feedback, thanks! We do like to try different products but if CX F is that good, it is our honeymoon after all...I think my decision will be influenced heavily by availability and what's the most convenient for us, given again that it's our honeymoon.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:02 am
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chinatown
This made me LOL, literally. YTD go with CX F. I imagine you want to end your honeymoon on a high, not a "well that was nice but it wasn't CX F was it"?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Chinatown's post also made me LOL. So perfect an answer.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you have the miles, go for CX F.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
Excellent feedback, thanks! We do like to try different products but if CX F is that good, it is our honeymoon after all...I think my decision will be influenced heavily by availability and what's the most convenient for us, given again that it's our honeymoon.
The only novelty about CX is the private cabin of just 6 suites. QR has much better food and amenity kits than CX. The CX F pajamas are more elegant but the ones QR gives in J are softer.

Cabin crews on either airline can be hit or miss, though CX cabin grews generally are better than QR's.

If it is your honeymoon, due to the large size and walls of the CX F seats, it won't be that easy to talk to your wife at all. The left side of the cabin has 2 seats, one behind the other, separated from the other 4 seats on the right side by a wall. There is a glitch in CX systems so if you choose this option, you will have to call the Hong Kong call center to be able to get two seats next to each other, but again, even in adjacent seats 1D/1K or 2D/2K, it will be hard to talk to your wife during the flight unless you are constantly standing by her seat.

QR's A350 have a 1x2x1 configuration which will permit being closer to your wife if you select the center seats.

Some pictures to help you decide:

CX B777ER F
https://www.cathaypacific.com/conten...20FCL%2001.jpg

QR A350 J
http://www.businessclass.co.uk/wp-co...us-A350-06.jpg

Last edited by fly747first; Aug 6, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:59 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Although the OP is planning to redeem AA miles for this award, the underlying question is about comparison between CX and QR flights and aircraft. Accordingly, this thread is being moved to the oneworld forum for further input.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
IMO, while CX F may seem to be an obvious choice over QR J, there are some intangibles on the side of QR. I will stipulate that the food and beverage in CX F are a significant level above QR J. However, QR has some advantages

• The A350 is a mighty fine ride. Like the 787, it has reduced altitude pressurization and increased humidity. You'll probably feel better after a long haul flight
  • Some people, like myself, prefer to travel west instead of east. I find that my body adjusts to west-bound travel better
  • This may be heretical, but I think the Al Mourjan lounge in DOH is as good as any of the CX F lounges in HKG

And if you can upgrade your outbound to CX F, why not experience QR J as something different? It's a lot better than typical long-haul J.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Catbert10
IMO, while CX F may seem to be an obvious choice over QR J, there are some intangibles on the side of QR. I will stipulate that the food and beverage in CX F are a significant level above QR J. However, QR has some advantages

• The A350 is a mighty fine ride. Like the 787, it has reduced altitude pressurization and increased humidity. You'll probably feel better after a long haul flight
  • Some people, like myself, prefer to travel west instead of east. I find that my body adjusts to west-bound travel better
  • This may be heretical, but I think the Al Mourjan lounge in DOH is as good as any of the CX F lounges in HKG

And if you can upgrade your outbound to CX F, why not experience QR J as something different? It's a lot better than typical long-haul J.
Thank you, also super helpful. If I were to change this from CX F to J....between CX J and QR J, would that make you lean even more to QR J?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first
The only novelty about CX is the private cabin of just 6 suites. QR has much better food and amenity kits than CX. The CX F pajamas are more elegant but the ones QR gives in J are softer.

Cabin crews on either airline can be hit or miss, though CX cabin grews generally are better than QR's.

If it is your honeymoon, due to the large size and walls of the CX F seats, it won't be that easy to talk to your wife at all. The left side of the cabin has 2 seats, one behind the other, separated from the other 4 seats on the right side by a wall. There is a glitch in CX systems so if you choose this option, you will have to call the Hong Kong call center to be able to get two seats next to each other, but again, even in adjacent seats 1D/1K or 2D/2K, it will be hard to talk to your wife during the flight unless you are constantly standing by her seat.

QR's A350 have a 1x2x1 configuration which will permit being closer to your wife if you select the center seats.

Some pictures to help you decide:

CX B777ER F
https://www.cathaypacific.com/conten...20FCL%2001.jpg

QR A350 J
http://www.businessclass.co.uk/wp-co...us-A350-06.jpg
If I could predict the future and know that the A350 we'd be flying on had the new Q Suites, that might be the motivation to go QR over CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.