Wiki Posts
Search

BA membership

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2002, 6:49 am
Original Poster

BA membership

hello,

I am not going to qualify again this year for silver status and am generally disapointed bu BA's mileage scheme. I have to say that this one is very poor for UK residents allowing them to get very few miles on discounted fares (not even counting towards elite status). I had to stick to the uk residence title as I have the BA Amex PLAT.

So I am now wondering which OW member will give me the best mileage credit and elite status for intra europe flights (even on discounted fares). I am flying at least 15 times a year to Nice and there is not a great choice of carriers (BMI and BA and a AF code-sharing on BMI).

BMI does not have much slots on this service and the outbound flight is quite often too early for me whereas their inbound flight is just perfect. I am F+ member too.

Could somebody advise me on the best OW member to go for?

Dane any ideas? Is QF any good for discounted fares?

cheers

dammers
Old Sep 20, 2002, 5:32 pm

If you "move" (your address) to the US, than a pretty wide range of BA fares count toward the AA program (500 minimum, which count toward elite/Oneworld status, too, as long as you have 4 AA segments a year). Plus, you can redeem for travel on BA except for transatlantic flights.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BA NA programme counts just about evry BA fare for miles. If you want miles on almost all fares move your account there. If you want quicker "cheaper" status then move to the continent where you need less than half as many tier points.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
QF FF will give you a minimum of 500 miles on any BA flights, and if it is booked on a QF flight number you will receive 1,000 miles. Discount fares are eligible, and receive the full 500 or 1,000 mile minimum. You don't need to change your address either.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 7:51 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by inasmuchas:
QF FF will give you a minimum of 500 miles on any BA flights, and if it is booked on a QF flight number you will receive 1,000 miles. Discount fares are eligible, and receive the full 500 or 1,000 mile minimum. You don't need to change your address either.</font>
This is correct. QF codeshare only one flight a day LHR-NCE (QF3342). Booking this will earn the 1000 point minimum. Otherwise the sector is 647 miles so more than the 500 min given for BA sectors.

Dammers, with your planned 15 x LHR-NCE-LHR flights in discount economy, you will hear 30 x 10 status tier credits, making 300 status credits. You need 350 to reach QF Silver status (300 to retain once there). Note that QF Silver is OW Ruby, which is lower than BA Silver (equiv to QF Gold which requires 700 status credits).

But you do earn status credits even on discounted fares on BA. The rules state that you must fly a min of 4 sectors with QF each year to retain status, but others have posted in the QF forum that this rule is not enforced. But you might like to plan to use the QF code shares a few times to be sure.

Doesn't sound like you travel plans are going to make an AA Gold or Plat Challenge work.

[This message has been edited by NM (edited 09-22-2002).]
Old Sep 22, 2002, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

[b]Dammers[b], with your planned 15 x LHR-NCE-LHR flights in discount economy, you will hear 30 x 10 status tier credits, making 300 status credits.

could pls explain me what you meant by 30*10?

should not it be 30*15 (as I am gonna travel 15 times to NCE)? is it 30 status miles per leg?

many thanks

dammers
Old Sep 22, 2002, 5:26 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dammers:
[b]

[b]Dammers, with your planned 15 x LHR-NCE-LHR flights in discount economy, you will hear 30 x 10 status tier credits, making 300 status credits.

could pls explain me what you meant by 30*10?
</font>

He means 30 actual flights (15 return trips), each flight earning 10 status credits with QFF (10 status credits for discount economy trips of under 1,000 miles). Total status credits = 300. If that's the only flying you do during the year, it would be worth your while doing a mileage run to attain the extra 50 status credits to get QF Silver/ OW ruby status. You can also join the QF club (probably around 100-150 pounds a year), which would DEFINITELY be worth your while with that amount of travelling. This will allow your seat preference to be noted during all travel with QF partners, and get you (bizarrely) better lounge access in the US than most US elite FFs have.

Definitely go QF.

Old Sep 22, 2002, 8:10 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Scott has it in one. 30 flights (15 returns) at 647 miles, give you 10 QF Status Credits per flight, making 300 credits in a year.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 12:30 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Hello Dammers - isn't BA Silver = OW Sapphire? If you keep the same flying pattern, consider Qantas, as you might qualify as Qantas Gold (OW Sapphire) due to all flights counting for QF status. QFF Gold includes Qantas Club (ie lounge access) membership. More info http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/privileges
Old Sep 24, 2002, 2:20 am

FWIW, I use AAdvantage becauser of the extra mileage bonuses for Platinum card holders. I have a BA card, but it has gone back to blue. When my company switched from VS to AA for transatlantic, it made sense to get an AA card and "ditch" the BA one since I can't get points credited to my BA card for transatlantic flights on AA. I still get points for BA European routes.

------------------
Chris Elvin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.