Search

Downloaded from QF > Garuda

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2002, 7:06 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platypus UA PE MM HH Diamond
Downloaded from QF > Garuda

Qantas have stopped their flights CGK/SIN, and transferred me to GA instead. QF claim to have some reciprocal arrangement with GA.
Would much rather fly SQ, better timing & service. [CX timing is way off.]
Is there a chance of success, or should one just roll over and enjoy the new mythical bird, the garuda?
Koala
Old May 16, 2002, 1:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Koala:
Qantas have stopped their flights CGK/SIN, and transferred me to GA instead. QF claim to have some reciprocal arrangement with GA.
Would much rather fly SQ, better timing & service. [CX timing is way off.]
Is there a chance of success, or should one just roll over and enjoy the new mythical bird, the garuda?
</font>
Garuda used to be appalling, but I believe they have improved immeasurably in recent years. Given it is not a long flight, I would stay on GA rather than kick up a fuss. Make sure you get your points though, it is not your fault that QF discontinued the flight after you ticketted.

Dave
Old May 16, 2002, 4:58 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I think all their old planes have crashed so you should be okay.
Old May 16, 2002, 6:08 am
Original Member
Original Poster

davis - oh no, there are still a few around, mostly used on domestic services.
The Wall Street Journal's listing of major fatal incidents among Asian-Pacific Airlines [since 1970] awarded GA only second place, with 8 'incidents'. CA was first with 9, then KA 7, JL 5, AI 3 followed by a tie between TG, SQ & MH at 2. CX, NH & NZ just had 1, and QF zero. [WSJ 2 Nov. 2000].
Have not seen such a chart done for American owned airlines, would be interesting too.
Koala
Old May 16, 2002, 7:09 am

People must really like Garuda since it has virtually no seat availability on some of its international routes. Front cabin is almost impossible to get to OZ, NZ, AMS and FRA and even coach has only a dozen or so seats remaining on any given day.
Old May 16, 2002, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Koala:
CA was first with 9</font>
Actually, I believe it was CI (China Airlines) with 9, CA (Air China) only had one which was the recent one in PUS.
Old May 16, 2002, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spider:
People must really like Garuda since it has virtually no seat availability on some of its international routes. Front cabin is almost impossible to get to OZ, NZ, AMS and FRA and even coach has only a dozen or so seats remaining on any given day.</font>
It could just be very cheap rather than people actually liking it

Dave
Old May 16, 2002, 10:39 am

Dave,

SAS/QF fare is cheaper!

And FWIW, Lauda companion fare is just some hundreds of $ higher from the Garuda fare. The trouble is that there is absolutely NO Garuda C/D fares to Europe available in that price range.

Also, Air Thaiti fare ex-NZ is about the same as Lauda fare. Enjoy!
Old May 16, 2002, 4:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

terry - you are absolutely right. It is CI, China Airlines, from Taipei that topped the poll. Air China [CA] has quite a way to catch up, though the indications are that CI was really pulled up by its impressive CEO last year. She had a major impact on the ex-airforce command structure.
Koala

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.