Need to cut down miles!

Old Mar 4, 02, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Need to cut down miles!

I am claiming a Oneworld award and I am currently coming in just under 35,000 miles, which will cost 190,000 miles in B-class and 140,000 miles in coach. I would love to get it under 25,000 miles and travel in B-class for 150,000 miles (Coach costs 120,000 miles). Any suggestions. Here is my current Irinerary:
JFK-SFO-BKK-SYD-Canberra-Melbourne-Hobart-Wellington-Auckland-Brisbane-Cairns-AYQ-Perth-DPS-Sin-FCO (Open Jaw) LHR-JFK.
Now, Oneworld awards calculate awards from point to point, not including connections. So SFO-Bkk is calculated as a direct flight from SFO-BKK rather than as SFO-HKG-BKK or SFO-SYD-BKK. So here is an idea. Instead of my SIN-FCO leg, could I take some BA flight that connects through London to say somwhere in Inida but get off in London? The flight would be calaculated as SIN-India shaving off a lot of miles. Would this work?
Old Mar 5, 02, 8:35 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA PLT 2.8MM+ (life PLT); IHG PLT Ambassador; UA Gold
If your order of destinations isn't important you could do:
JFK-SFO-AKL-WLG-HBA-MEL-CBR-SYD-BNE-CNS-AYQ-PER-DPS-SIN-BKK-FCO-LHR-JFK which comes in at a little over 28k miles.

Scratch that, thought the next level down was 30k. But it's closer.

Doubtful the getting off in London to India would work.. they might cancel the rest of your itinerary if you miss one of the flights.

[This message has been edited by hauteboy (edited 03-05-2002).]

Search this Thread