Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage run advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2002, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Mileage run advice

I posted this message on the American Airlines board, and it was suggested I should try here also - so here goes.....

I'm new to this game so looking for any advice that the collective flyertalk brains can muster.

A friend is holding a bachelor party in Prague on the weekend of April 5-7. I have plenty of vacation and am looking to do a run (I'm determined to make AA EXP this year) around this trip (leaving from ORD). I am happy to arrive in Prague early, (or leave later than the weekend) and prepared to go almost anywhere in pursuit of AA miles.

I've tried a few itineraries on aa.com, but the moment I deviate from direct flights to LHR, the prices rocket. Prague only seems to be served by BA (from an AA mile collection point of view), so it looks like LHR is my only option.

Any advice is gratefully received.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 7:33 am
Suspended

You might try AA to FRA via DFW. There has been some very good fares. I think you will get more Q miles this way than ORD-LHR with a BA connection. From FRA you might check with a lower cost carrier or take the train. I think the air miles from FRA are around 250 so not a big loss of FF miles if you don't get them.

I priced BA out of LGW and LHR to PRG for Apr 3 & 8 and it looks like $228 (651 miles each way). LGW would be a better bet as you route ORD-DFW-LGW for 5566 miles rather than ORD-LHR for 3945 on AA.

I was getting on AA ORD-RDU-LGW (4530 miles) for $480rt and ORD-DFW-LGW (5566 miles) for $527.

[This message has been edited by drtravels (edited 01-24-2002).]

[This message has been edited by drtravels (edited 01-24-2002).]
Old Jan 24, 2002, 11:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by americangooner:
A friend is holding a bachelor party in Prague on the weekend of April 5-7. </font>
I've heard of Vegas, New Orleans, Tijuana, Hawaii, Chicago, New York, cruises even for bachelor parties. Is there something I don't know about Prague that would make it good for bachelor parties? I'm serious on this one. What's happenin for dudes in Prague?
Old Jan 24, 2002, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
If you can get to a European gateway inexpensively but not on to Prague, check out Visit Europe Pass fares for the leg from the gateway on. They're distance-based per segment, starting at USD 60 for segments up to 249 miles. You have to cross the Atlantic on a oneWorld airline on the same trip.

Specifics at http://plaza.powersurfr.com/fewmiles...teurope.html#1
Old Jan 24, 2002, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tfjim:
I've heard of Vegas, New Orleans, Tijuana, Hawaii, Chicago, New York, cruises even for bachelor parties. Is there something I don't know about Prague that would make it good for bachelor parties? I'm serious on this one. What's happenin for dudes in Prague?</font>
tfjim,

I asked the same question. My friend is based in the UK, so its not so far to go for him, and apparently its really cheap when you get there. There's also really good beer - if you like that sort of stuff.

Efrem - thanks. I knew about the passes, but didn't realize that they could be so cheap. Problem is that all of the oneworld hubs are more than 250 miles from Prague, so it would be more expensive - probably in the range of $120 each way.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Flying Finnair via Helsinki would get you to Prague while earning full AA status miles. You may want to check on it, if you can find a cheap ticket it will earn you more miles than going through London.

Of course, if you have "plenty of vacation" and are serious about your "pursuit of AA miles" the way to go would be to make Prague a stop on a oneworld round-the-world ticket...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.