Reload this Page >

Changing Carriers = Routing Change?

Old Jan 4, 2002, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

If I was to attempt to change my OWE BKK-SYD from Qantas to British Airways, would this be allowed without a fee (I already changed my routing once before)?

Also, any thoughts on the merits of Qantas First Class vs. BA's service?

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2002, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
there should not be a fee.
this is rebooking, not re-routing.

however, AA seems to have their own interpretation. you should call BA to make the corresponding change.
if this does work, simply make a separate booking, tell them your ticket #, and booking class (A/D/M) when asked

(edited for errors)

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 01-05-2002).]
Old Jan 5, 2002, 2:07 am

Change it to the BA codeshare
Old Jan 5, 2002, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 10MM, BA GLD, SPG PLT, HH D
No fee to change carriers and no change to reissue from areas 2 or 3 if wholly unused ticket.
Old Jan 6, 2002, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 6, 2002, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrvlGuru:
No fee to change carriers and no change to reissue from areas 2 or 3 if wholly unused ticket.</font>
That is incorrect. Irrespective if the ticket has been used or not, if you require a reissue the US$75 will be imposed. If a ticket has not been used, note that the validity of the ticket will be based on 1 year from date of issue and not the date of travel. There is no fee is the ticket is returned for refund.

Old Jan 7, 2002, 8:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pegasus8228:
there should not be a fee.
this is rebooking, not re-routing.

however, AA seems to have their own interpretation.
</font>
AA does seem to interpret changing carriers constitutes a re-routing and is thus subject to a USD75 fee. I have had so far two AA RTW desk agents telling me this.

Is there any documentation for endorsement waiver among oneworld carriers for RTW tickets?

A bit hard to believe when even SQ honors endorsement waiver for a Star Alliance RTW ticket
Old Jan 7, 2002, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
AA no longer puts stickers over their tickets and hence the 'reissue' problem arises. AA therefore feels that if a ticket has one airline's flight information printed on it, it is a change in the ticket if another airlines' flight number is replacing it. That's why it's better having open segment tickets all the time!
Old Jan 7, 2002, 9:51 am

Guy Betsy, is it possible to have 'open' segments for carriers?

My ticket is open-dated but carriers are specified.

One of the agents I talked said the rule is the same for an open-dated ticket (changing carriers requires the fee).

But I just realised that it's a CX-stock ticket... so I might just as well ask CX to sticker it?

[This message has been edited by Chiangi (edited 01-07-2002).]
Old Jan 7, 2002, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 10MM, BA GLD, SPG PLT, HH D
Guy Betsy:

You are correct. Refunds from area 2/3 can be granted at anytime as long as wholly unused. You are correct that there is a $75.00 reissue fee after ticket issuance but no fee if you refund. In fact, you are probably better off refunding if the ZAR has lost more value against USD but obviously if fares have risen you would want to pay the $75.00 charge.

But the ticket does not have to be reissued for a change of carrier or date...only for a re-routing. (Area 2/3)
Old Jan 11, 2002, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
tvlguru,

that is what i have always interpreted.
do you mean for TC1 you need to re-issue for reroute? i think it is AA instead of TC!, they asked me to re-issue even though the origination of the trip is in TC2

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.