concorde surcharge on OWE?

Old Dec 16, 01, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, GP Courtesy Card, Marriott LT Titanium
concorde surcharge on OWE?

I was trying to look this up, and none of the OWE fare rule pages seem to include this.. what is the surcharge for upgrading a F segment to concorde? Is it the same wherever you issue the ticket or does it vary in different countries?
Old Dec 16, 01, 5:40 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
I think it is CAD 2780 or USD 1800 depending on country or origin.

The concorde surcharge exists for other currencies such as HKD as well.

In the even the concorde surcharge is not available for the currency of the country of origin, the USD rate will be used (converted to currency of country of origin at banker's selling rate).
Old Dec 16, 01, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
tfung: You can find info on the Concorde surcharge on this page if you scroll all the way to the bottom. I hope this helps.

I have to fix the Unofficial oneworld site; it's a bit disorganised.

FewMiles..

------------------
[ FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web ]
[ Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage ] [ Unofficial oneworld Info Desk ]
Old Dec 17, 01, 6:30 pm

Wait a second. This does not mean that AA OW flyers can upgrade to concorde correct? I seem to recall that only AA not BA metal across the pond.

Further, I am assuming that the upgrade prices are based on revenue (not FFM).
Old Dec 17, 01, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marksec, the restriction is that you can't earn AA miles for flying BA across the pond (including Concorde services). There's nothing in the OWE rules that says you can't do it; just no AA miles. Put that segment on BA (for example) instead.

FewMiles..

------------------
Old Dec 18, 01, 3:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FewMiles:
Marksec, the restriction is that you can't earn AA miles for flying BA across the pond (including Concorde services). There's nothing in the OWE rules that says you can't do it; just no AA miles. Put that segment on BA (for example) instead.

FewMiles..

</font>
Sorry but I am confused. Last year when I was looking to use OWE miles (from my AA account) from JNB, I was told that I had to change in LHR becuase I could not use BA on LHR to JFK - was I given wrong info from AA?

Further, does the $2900 surcharge in premium from J to Concorde apply to both a paying ticket and an award ticket (including an upgrade from the back?)

When trying to book my OWE last year I told that I had to use three different one world carriers - I am assuming that this in not an AA requirement but a OWE?

PS Fewmiles... "Unoffical" is great!

Old Dec 18, 01, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Part of the restrictions on the alliance between AA and BA is that members of their FFPs cannot have reciprocal benefits on transatlantic routes. That means, as AAdvantage members, we can neither earn AA miles for flying BA across the pond nor spend our AA miles for transatlantic award flights on BA. This unfortunately includes BA's Concorde services.

FewMiles..

------------------

[This message has been edited by FewMiles (edited 12-18-2001).]
Old Dec 18, 01, 3:13 pm

so does that mean I should become a member of BA's FF and transfer all of my Starwood points (assuming Starwood allows transfer becuase it is my second largest source) to BA?

Old Dec 19, 01, 11:50 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by marksec:
Sorry but I am confused. Last year when I was looking to use OWE miles (from my AA account) from JNB, I was told that I had to change in LHR becuase I could not use BA on LHR to JFK - was I given wrong info from AA?</font>
I think the thing we're confused about is your use of "OWE". OWE means One World Explorer, which is a continents based REVENUE Round-The-World ticket on the Oneworld alliance. You seems to be using the Oneworld Rewards, which is a milage based REWARD ticket on the Oneworld alliance. If you're using AA POINTS, you cannot fly across the Atlantic on BA.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Further, does the $2900 surcharge in premium from J to Concorde apply to both a paying ticket and an award ticket (including an upgrade from the back?)</font>
The $2900 only applies to REVENUE OWE RTW tickets.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">When trying to book my OWE last year I told that I had to use three different one world carriers - I am assuming that this in not an AA requirement but a OWE?</font>
Correct, but once again, it is not a OWE, but you're thinking of a Oneworld REWARD ticket that happens to round the world, you don't have to. Actually, the restriction from a AA FFP point of view is that you have to fly at least two other Oneworld airlines in addition to AA in order to the use the milage based Oneworld reward.

Search this Thread