OW RTW Price Comparison Table

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OW RTW Price Comparison Table

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2000, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat QC Life Member; AA Plat; EK Silv; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Sirius (Jumeirah) Silver
Well seeing that hsi.chang seems to have gotten more support that what I did - here are the Australian ones. I don't know why travel.com.au doesn't give OW5 fares in Y. I'll try and chase them down from elsewhere.

It also didn't have OW3 Cont fares. I wouldn't be suprised if Australia doesn't sell these as travel is only permitted between adjacent continents - LHR->PER is therefore 3 continents. The only possible route is Australia->South America->Africa->Australia but no oneworld airlines fly South America->Africa. So it makes sense not to have it here.

4Cont
F 10919
C 7729
Y(H) 2939
Y(K) 2779
Y(J) 2679
Y(L) 2469

5Cont
F 11949
C 8659

6Cont
F 12979
C 9579
Y(H) 3709
Y(K) 3499
Y(J) 3399
Y(L) 3199

Concorde (note the e ) add on:
F 2850
C 4600

The H, K, J, L (why they aren't in alphabetical order I have no idea) refer to the 4 seasons Australian RTW tickets have.
(H):01JUN-20AUG/08DEC-23DEC;
(K):21AUG-17SEP/01DEC-07DEC/24DEC-31DEC/01APR-31MAY;
(J):18SEP-30SEP/16NOV-30NOV/01JAN-15JAN/01MAR-31MAR;
(L):01OCT-15NOV/16JAN-28FEB;
Old Jun 23, 2000, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat QC Life Member; AA Plat; EK Silv; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Sirius (Jumeirah) Silver
Originally posted by hsi.chang:
Really ? 3-Continent in C for 146,245 Baht ? That's US$ 3740 or CAD$ 5528 ? Just how much cheaper is the Australian OW RTW fares anyways ? The fares I've seen on www.travel.com.au is compareble to these, or is it something specific that you mean 60% more ?
Yes, my apologies. I did mean on the Economy fares. Australian business class ones are actually a little pricier now that I calcualate those and the First seem a little bit cheaper than the Thai ones.

I wonder if there is a reason why economy is a lot cheaper in Australia? Obviously there is a lot of 747s leaving the country that can always do with a few more PAX but still, it's quite a difference.

I can now see why so many people can justify the extra cost of C/F on Flyertalk. The extra is no where near as much in Thailand, US/Canada or China as it seems to here in Australia. Here Y is more or less 25% of the F fare but in the other countries it is at worst 33% (3 cont out of South Africa) and goes as high as 60% of a F fare (6 Cont from US). Therefore in Australia, I'm paying 4 times as much to go to the front, elsewhere it can be only a "little bit" extra.

Interesting....
Old Jun 24, 2000, 11:04 am

After my feverish search I've managed to locate the following economy/coach fare out of OZ: AU$2645 by Trailfinders which is about US$1400. That's 4 continents fare. Biz class is simply outrageous as Bers has mentioned earlier. The cheapest I've managed to get from NZ is NZ$3600 for economy.

Does anyone have a price for biz class fares ex NZ??

I wonder what's the cheapest country to buy a biz class fare (with devalued Aussie dollars) for this trip? Any suggestions?

BTW, can anyone tell me if all airlines in this promo require or do not require a 24 hour stop for a continent stopover?

[This message has been edited by Spider (edited 06-24-2000).]
Old Jun 24, 2000, 11:06 am

Sorry double!

Old Jun 24, 2000, 12:28 pm

5 continents = AU$2159 (including $200 car hire). Not too sure about the season but it is QF/BA RTW with 5 stops.

PS!! This must be off season, and since peak season is usually AU$500 more then it gets close to AU$2659 which is still a very good deal. I'll give them a ring later on and if I get any more useful info then I'll post it.

Old Jun 24, 2000, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by Spider:
5 continents = AU$2159 (including $200 car hire). Not too sure about the season but it is QF/BA RTW with 5 stops.

PS!! This must be off season, and since peak season is usually AU$500 more then it gets close to AU$2659 which is still a very good deal. I'll give them a ring later on and if I get any more useful info then I'll post it.
You'll definitely need to clear that one up - why would 5 cont be cheaper than 4? And hey, if you are right - I'll definitely get one of those!!

And when you say QF/BA one - is that the QF/BA explorer fare? That's a little cheaper usually than the OW RTW fares - so that might be it.
Old Jun 25, 2000, 4:29 am

Bers

You can do a 3 continent out of Australia.
Australia-Asia-South Africa-Australia.

There are specific rules against two trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific crossing but no rule against two crossings of the Indian Ocean.

To get the Economy Class level go to www.travel.com.au and put JNB as your destination rather than RTW
Old Jun 25, 2000, 6:42 am

Originally posted by bers:
You'll definitely need to clear that one up - why would 5 cont be cheaper than 4? And hey, if you are right - I'll definitely get one of those!!
The bad news is that it is not 5 continents but rather just 5 stops and currently it is AU$2645. It can still be used to get the 100k bonus but for only one programme. Sadly, if it looks too good to be true then most of the time it is.

Also, for some reason the 4 continents fare jumped up to AU$2815. This GST induced inflation must be really bad to put the fare price up by $170 in less than 2 days.

And when you say QF/BA one - is that the QF/BA explorer fare? That's a little cheaper usually than the OW RTW fares - so that might be it.

From what I have discovered is that the explorer fare (the one allowing 15 stops) is about $150 dearer than 4 continents fare. As far as QF/BA in one is concerned then that's how it appears in various TA ads. They usually omit the other 1W partners.

[This message has been edited by Spider (edited 06-25-2000).]
Old Jun 25, 2000, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by 3544quebec:
You can do a 3 continent out of Australia.
Australia-Asia-South Africa-Australia.

There are specific rules against two trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific crossing but no rule against two crossings of the Indian Ocean.
Travel must be in one continuous direction around the world. That's not if you ask me.

[This message has been edited by bers (edited 06-25-2000).]
Old Jun 25, 2000, 10:45 pm

Bers

I'd suggest that you have a look at the fare rules ex-Australia (as you know you can access them via www.travel.com.au). There is no rule saying that travel must be in one continuous direction around the world. If you look under routing it specifically says that cicle pacific and circle atlantic journeys are not permitted, nothing prohibiting circle Indian Ocean trips.

It may be marketed as a RTW fare but it is not limited to that. If you want further evidence you can go into a BA or QF office in Australia, pick up the Oneworld Explorer brochure (which is the same all over the world). The insert for departures ex-Australia lists all the fares, 3 continent fares included and has a suggested itinerary mapped out for each of the fare levels. For 3 continents it has BNE-SIN-HKG-JNB-PER-BNE.

Now if you want to provide similar evidence apart from "well if you ask me" for the conclusion that you can't do the itinerary I've listed - I'd be happy to follow it up with QANTAS.

Old Jun 26, 2000, 9:30 am

I'll add the new prices to the list. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by hsi.chang (edited 06-26-2000).]
Old Jun 26, 2000, 10:33 am

Thanks hsi.chang - the chart is on the way to being very useful.

A few more prices to add:

Ex-New Zealand Bus. Class 4 con NZD8349
5 con NZD9679

- quote from an NZ travel agent

Ex-Australia Eco. Class 3 con AUD2059/2269/2479/2679 depending on season -sourced from travel.com.au

Extra segments in economy/Bus/1st class ex-South Africa cost USD100/300/450

Also ex-South West Pacific seasonality is determined by date of first intercontinental flight not first international. so if you fly SYD-AKL-PPT-SCL the pricing in economy class is determined by the date of the PPT-SCL flight. Is it different for fares commencing in North America?

[This message has been edited by 3544quebec (edited 06-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 3544quebec (edited 06-26-2000).]
Old Jun 26, 2000, 11:13 am

Also ex-South West Pacific seasonality is determined by date of first intercontinental flight not first international. so if you fly SYD-AKL-PPT-SCL the pricing in economy class is determined by the date of the PPT-SCL flight. Is it different for fares commencing in North America?
I believe you're right. The price list that I have applies to US/Canada, and combined they are not considered International.

Old Jun 27, 2000, 4:23 am
Original Poster

There is no rule saying that travel must be in one continuous direction around the world.
True. I did just reread the rules and it says travel must be in one continuous direction. I just remembered (incorrectly) the "around the world". I'm not totally crazy - honest!

[This message has been edited by bers (edited 06-27-2000).]
Old Sep 11, 2000, 11:24 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I have a link to the chart on my *A site....but it no longer works...did the OW chart move or die?

Link I have: http://www.geocities.com/osointer/oneworld.htm

Dorian

------------------
Star Alliance RTW Price Chart: http://www.informationlab.com/rtw.htm
Star Alliance Comparison Chart: http://members.home.net/deercroft/starall00.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.