Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

AA miles for BA flights ... unclear info.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2000, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold

I can't find a definitive answer for which BA tickets accrue AA miles. I thought it was all except transatlantic flights, but then I found a page on aa.com (aadvantage -> earning miles -> earning miles on airlines -> british airways) which lists fare classes eligible for earning miles.

Of course, the "zones" they describe are unclear. Will my V fare from LHR to ORY (Paris) accrue AA miles? V is only listed under "Region - U.S. / Canada / Mexico / Australia" in the BA (as opposed to Air Liberte) section.

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2000, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
That zone thing is defined as where you live. So you will earn miles for V class fares on BA flights, as long as it isn't a transAtlantic flight, if you are resident in N. America & Australia.
Old Jul 2, 2000, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Oh, I see. That hardly seems fair to Europeans and Japanese, though!

Out of curiosity, what's the rationale for this double (actually triple) standard?

Thanks for the explanation!
Old Jul 2, 2000, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Many programs have different criteria for eligible accrual depending upon which version of the program you are a member of (generally based on where you live, or at least have your mail sent to). These are usually based purely on competitive considerations (sometimes on government regulations). Both BA and AA wish to ensure their FFers use that carrier for their major travel across the Atlantic, afterall, they are still competitors for revenue on these routes. Thus you cannot earn miles flying the other.

Since North American FF programs are highly competitive, they generally give credit on all paid fares on their partners. (Some exceptions do exclude the lowest fares, but still include other discounted ones.) Because Asian and European carriers operate in a less competitive environment (each being based in a home country with little or no home-based competition) they can be more restrictive in eligible fares for accrual, or elite status qualification. BA and CX have fare more restrictions on eligible fares for home-country/region based FF program members than other oneworld carriers.

It really is no different from a myriad of restrictions on commerce that exist in countries like Japan and Germany, for example, in the retail sector. That's life and we just have to accept these rules, and learn to live with them. Or change to a program that is more liberal, or get a U.S. or Canadian mailing address (though you may not be able to start award travels outside the region you are registering from!).

Just noticed some of this is discussed in the July international edition of Inside Flyer. Check out the main story on that site.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 07-03-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.