Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

route suggestions for this 1world rtw trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

route suggestions for this 1world rtw trip?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2000, 7:23 am

Location: Pacific Northwest (BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP)
This is my 1st RTW so I would greatly appreciate comments and suggestions from everyone's vast experience. Present plans are for us to fly "D" class on this routing:
BAH-LHR (BA)
LHR-CMN (BA)
CMN-LHR (BA)
LHR-JFK (BA)
JFK-MIA (AA)
MIA-GCM-MIA (AA)
MIA-EZE-MIA (AA)
==== US TRAVEL (TBD)====
LAX-SYD (for BA double miles QF Flt. 7/8 bonus) (QF)
SYD-SIN (CX)
SIN-BKK (CX)
BKK-HKG (CX)
HKG-BAH (CX)
The flights to/from GCM from MIA maybe not be included as part of the OW RTW trip. LHR-JFK-MIA routing necessary to have our adult kids fly with us in Economy. Thinking about a side trip out of LHR for an overnight in Europe somewhere. Just learned from BA/Exec Club US that SJO is considered as North America, so to get South America I must buy a 5-continent fare (maybe). Am considering that now. Also, thinking about changing the Asia routing to SYD-HKG-SIN-HKG-BKK-HKG-BAH. SYD-HKG intended to qual as open jaw RT (maybe) to qual for the AMEX Qantas 30,000 Membership Rewards Promotion. Possibly something like SYD-PER-SIN-BKK-HKG-BAH too. Main reason for this type change would be to increase the # of BA Tier points on this trip to possibly qual for GOLD. Anyway, would be very interested in your feedback on this routing. Local BA reps say the US flights on AA will be upgraded to "A" so all's well there.

[This message has been edited by Wanderer (edited 06-30-2000).]
Old Jul 1, 2000, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'd try to get in more European segments. You're only using 3 of the 4 allowed currently. Why not fly HKG-LHR and back to BAH?

You might be breaking the 2 international departures & 2 international arrivals limits for N. America if you use GCM as part of the RTW itinerary unless you transit (not sure if it counts) at MIA. GCM (Grand Caymans) is an international departure/arrival as would MIA-EZE-MIA as well as your first arrival/last departure from N. America

I'd also try to use up the 4 segments allowed in S. America and Oceania (maybe try LAX-(SYD)-PER-MEL-SYD-AKL for Oceania and EZE-SCL-GRU-SCL-EZE for S. America?).
Old Jul 1, 2000, 12:38 pm

Wanderer:

The way to avoid buying a 5 continents fare and get away with 4 continents fare is to simply buy a cheap roundtrip MIA-CCS-MIA or JFK-CCS-JFK. Cost around $600 which is a lot cheaper than paying for an extra continent on Oneworld unless you have heaps of time and wanna earn a pile of extra miles.

On US domestic flights it might be an idea to arrange your routing with AA double mileage promos like ORD-DFW or ORD-Memphis-DFW(triple miles) or BOS/JFK to LAX/SFO and some others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.