Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

route suggestions for this 1world rtw trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

route suggestions for this 1world rtw trip?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2000, 7:15 am

Originally posted by stealthflier:
sorry, by next i meant after sjo.

does SJO count as south america in all the partners for the bonus or is it just AA?
yes SJO being in Central America counts as South America, at least for QF, BA and CX. I am not sure about others though.

Old Jun 22, 2000, 10:39 am

jfk-montreal is expensive? try round trip for $200. and the flight is an hour versus a train ride that is anywhere from 10-15 hrs!!!

give me a break!!!
Old Jun 22, 2000, 11:32 am
Original Poster

forgive me, but i only see the 200 rt if you have 21 days, or are staying for less than 30.

it nearly doubles if you don't meet that criteria (which i don't) train -- long but $58 us for one way.

if you can recommend better, i'm listening!

stealthflier
Old Jun 22, 2000, 11:50 am

if you can recommend better, i'm listening!
One option is to finish your RTW trip with NYC-YUL, thus you just don't take that last segment of the RTW, and the return segment of your NYC-YUL-NYC flight. This way the 30-day maximum stay limit does not come into play.

To avoid going through JFK/NYC twice, try YUL-MIA-SJO-DFW-YYZ-HKG

But if you're willing to spend 11 more hours roughing it on a train, do you really want to pay extra for the Business/First class RTW ticket ?

[This message has been edited by hsi.chang (edited 06-22-2000).]
Old Jun 22, 2000, 11:50 am

Oops

[This message has been edited by hsi.chang (edited 06-22-2000).]
Old Jun 22, 2000, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

thanks for your reply.
i was going to fly bz for the extra miles since i'm very short this year, but that's open to suggestion. maybe it's worth it for the extra 1200ish dollars?

starting from Canada is a no brainer. i'm still mulling over buying 4 cont. vs. 5. as you can tell, this is my first run for miles.

your suggestion to go montreal-miami-sjo makes a lot of sense.

can you give me any other pointers? i will probably use your suggestions i've seen on another topic about london-cairo-madrid-casablanca-london

i saw your sample routing..is that still the way you would go?

thanks again,

stealthflier

Old Jun 23, 2000, 7:40 am

thanks for your reply.
Unlike you lucky buggers, I don't have the time to do this bonus run at this time. The reason I brought up "roughing it" on the train is because the CX bonus only applies in Business/First, and wanted to be sure that you are indeed shelling out the extra dough for the RTW ticket. Economy RTW would not earn the CX bonus(es).

If you haven't yet, you should study Terenz' posted itenerary (it's somewhere).

Old Jun 23, 2000, 11:46 am
Original Poster

thanks again. yes i read his route and your suggestions. based on those, i've made changes to the first and last leg of the rtw hoping i can get 2 SA legs instead of 1. to do this, i sacrifice some extra miles at the end, but i guess i have to compromise somewhere.

montreal-jfk -sjo (stop)
sjo-miami-pty (IB)(less than 24 hrs)
pty-miami AA
miami-toronto-hkg

and return would now be London-NY AA instead of London-lax-jfk

i need to buy my ticket in the next few days which is why i've asked so many questions about the route.

sorry if they've been asked and answered many times, but i think that usa today story about the latin pass brought many many new readers who will be making their first mileage run and who, like me, appreciate all the help and guidance that is given so generously.

Old Jun 24, 2000, 12:47 pm

Originally posted by miler:
yes SJO being in Central America counts as South America, at least for QF, BA and CX. I am not sure about others though.

Can you point me to the link (or source) where you got the info from as far as CX and especially BA are concerned (in regareds to South america and hopefully Africa, I also need info about their 24 hour stopover requirement), since I only keep getting the rules for BA EC European members. My question under BA has gone unanswered, so maybe you can shed some light... Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2000, 10:13 am

Programs: US Platinum, UA Premier Exec, AA Gold
According to British Airways -see this link: http://www.britishairways.com/execcl...promos.shtml#1 - SJO is NOT part of So. America but along with the Caribbean is part of NORTH America (I know how stupid this sounds); also according to them Middle East & Asia are one. My question is whether
Morocco (for BA) is part of Africa, or whether it's considered part of Europe as the
Exec Club Tier Point schedule defines it?!

They do not seem to be following their Exec Club area definitions at all in this, which makes it even more confusing for their frequent travelers. I'm sure they'll be catching tons of bonus-hopeful travelers on
technicalities in this promo. Why does it have to be this way??!! So frustrating.
Old Jun 25, 2000, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

thanks. i would've been had too on that technicality. makes me lean again toward buying 6 continent economy to be sure...
Old Jun 25, 2000, 6:26 pm

Programs: US Platinum, UA Premier Exec, AA Gold
So, for BA, Cairo is Africa but Tel Aviv is Asia! So close but yet so far apart "continentally" speaking - too bad there aren't any OneWorld carriers operating between those 2!

The other thing I noticed with BA is that a number of Pacific Islands are considered to qualify for "Australia/SW Pacific" - including Tahiti! So, presumably Santiago, Chile-Papeete round trip would qualify you
on the Australia continent, if you use LA.
Too bad QF doesn't fly Papeete-LAX anymore..

I notice the OneW RTW fare is quite a bit less if purchased in Canadian $$ - the rule on the fare is kind of ambiguous on this one -
if the actual tickets are issued here in the
U.S. do they raise the fare to the US $ level? I know this is not the case with
all RTW fares, as I did one a couple of years ago starting from/ending in Korea and made out like a bandit, even though the ticket was issued in the U.S.

Anybody know the answer on the current multi-
carrier OneW RTW fares?
Old Jun 25, 2000, 8:32 pm

Originally posted by FTonewfan:
SJO is NOT part of So. America but along with the Caribbean is part of NORTH America (I know how stupid this sounds)
This is really bad news for my travel plans!! Are there any other programs apart from AA that consider Central America to be South America?

My question is whether Morocco (for BA) is part of Africa, or whether it's considered part of Europe as the Exec Club Tier Point schedule defines it?!

According to their EC link that you just posted it says that Morocco is in Africa but the best thing is to send them an e-mail and get their views in writing. Then when they start changing their rules after your trip you have solid proof.

[This message has been edited by Spider (edited 06-25-2000).]
Old Jun 26, 2000, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

i was going to buy 4 cont. in j but now thinking 6 cont in m the best way of getting the 1k bonus on multiple programs.

it's the north america/south america 24 hour rule that's causing me problems.

the only other way i see around this is to buy a ticket from latin america to south america...any thoughts/solutions to this problem?

stealthflier
Old Jun 26, 2000, 9:51 pm

it's the north america/south america 24 hour rule that's causing me problems.

the only other way i see around this is to buy a ticket from latin america to south america...any thoughts/solutions to this problem?
I don't think that BA has a 24 hour requirement. There are no Oneworld flights between South and Central America as the only operative is AA and they fly via MIA. The solution to this seems to be buying a separate ticket for MIA-CCS-MIA or to Rio or to wherever there is an AA special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.