Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Maybe they can put in the sleeper seats now ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2000, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980

Cathay Pacific Airways bounced back into the
black with a net profit of $2.19 billion last year,beating even the most bullish forecasts by analysts.
The carrier posted a $542 million net loss in
1998 after booking one-off costs of $869 million from sacking staff and retiring old aircraft.
Operating profit for the year to December 31 was$2.82 billion, helped by lower staff expenses, commissions and depreciation and operating lease costs.
Cathay made an operating loss of $657 million
for 1998.
The carrier's fledging cargo business led a 7.86 per cent rise in overall turnover to $28.7 billion.
"Cathay Pacific is emerging from the recent
downturn in better shape than that in which we entered it," chairman James Hughes-Hallett said.
"With a more competitive cost structure, we are now well positioned to take advantage of new opportunities [presented by the Asian economic recovery]."
Earnings per share were 64.7 cents, double the consensus forecast.
Dividends also beat expectations, with a full-year pay out of 27 cents declared, against seven cents in 1998.
Robust demand for flights between Hong Kong
and the United States and a sharp upturn in
passenger traffic on the Manila and Seoul routes in the second half helped offset a sluggish first half.
Passenger numbers for the full-year rose 2.1 per cent to 10.5 million.
The airline filled 71.4 per cent of its seats last year, up from 67.5 per cent in 1998.
Cathay's cargo business, however, registered
the biggest turnover growth - of 20.64 per cent to a record $8.39 billion.
Cargo now accounts for nearly 30 per cent of the airline's business.
The strength of both passenger and cargo
figures surprised analysts.
They expected Cathay's outlook to improve
further this year as the regional economic
recovery gained pace and the benefits of
Cathay's cost savings came through.
The savings from new salary arrangements with
pilots, flight attendants and other staff were expected to offset fuel costs, which have nearly doubled.
Some analysts believed yields would also
recover further, despite statements by Cathay
that air fares would remain low indefinitely.
A one-off profit of $482 million from the sale of a 0.4 per cent stake in networking company Equant cancelled out the costs of two weeks of flight disruptions which resulted from a pay dispute with pilots in May.
Chief executive David Turnbull said more long
and short-haul aircraft would be ordered this year as a fleet expansion plan, halted by the onset of the recession in late 1997, was relaunched.
Mr Turnbull was tight-lipped on numbers, but
industry observers expected Cathay to order
more than 20 planes this year.
The airline will announce new orders for either medium or short-haul aircraft in the next six to eight weeks, which might include freighters to service regional markets.
Mr Turnbull said the airline would boost its
regional express cargo service this year in a bid to tap the expected boom in e-commerce by
corporate Asia.
And Cathay would launch more of its own
e-commerce proposals this year, said chief
operating officer Philip Chen Nan-lok.
Developing Web-based marketing and sales
network was among the firm's top priorities.
Mr Hughes-Hallett said that a liberalisation in Hong Kong's air-service agreement was unlikely to substantially increase the already strong competition from Cathay's rivals.
Old Mar 9, 2000, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
I was just talking to a very nice CX reservation officer today at the BKK office and she told me that Cathay is doing a relatively fast job in installing the new First Class seats on their 747's. Currently the seats are available on most routes to Europe-London, Paris and Frankfurt. Late March will see the new First Class seats on the routes to LA, NY, Vancouver, Sydney. From June - July, the rest of the routes where the 747 flies to will have the new seats. I've written in to CX and ask that they also consider installing the new First Class seats on the A340s flying long haul too. Don't know if they'd take advice from little old me.

I would honestly like to see the return of proper Marco Polo representatives. And to be able to credit points where they want to (like Singapore Airlines' PPS Club - they still receive presents on their birthdays). I would like the Marco Polo Club be run by Cathay Pacific staff who will treat their elite members with priority. Try calling the MPO line now and get brushed off !

But I hear from rumour that Cathay will begin upgrading the Business Class service soon. And boy, do they need to !
Old Mar 9, 2000, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
So why don't they charge a discounted first class fare on those routes until they get the new sleeper seats and proper entertainment in ? Get real, of course they charge top dollar for less than top dollar seats and entertainment. QF and BA have had the sleeper seats for a considerable while - CX plays catch up and banks the profits. If you listen to the spouting of the Oxford set, CX has the best business class around. No doubt by the time CX has all its F class seats in BA will have sleepers in the business section. If you fly regional in Asia I see no point in taking CX all the time since they seldom have an F class on the route so there is never an upgrade possibility. On the tier upgrade or birthday gifts, I got a reply back that MPO members surveyed said they had little value and that they did not want them ! A white lie indeed.
Good thing is that we now have a choice of which airline to use in the cartel.
Old Mar 10, 2000, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
Full fare is full fare. You fly one way on Cathay in a sleeper seat and you return (say LAX) on UA on a crappy old First Class seat. Some airlines have it better than others and some have improved faster too. But the airlines are under no obligation in installing sleeper seats. I just received a reply to that letter I wrote to CX (see above) and they tell me that they want me to consider flying them on their A340s even though they will be improving the service and comfort but will not be installing on this fleet.

$2.2 billion....is that in HKD$ or USD$?
Old Mar 10, 2000, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
HKD - natch.

Their entire operating revenue was only about 3.7bn USD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.