Wiki Posts
Search

WARNING - ex-MPM Prices are moving!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by pandaperth
I am waiting to see what happens with my ex-MPM DONE6. It was priced last week and I phoned AA's Sydney office on Friday and provided my credit card details. But it has not yet been ticketed and my credit card has not been charged.

In my opinion a delay by AA is doing its ticketing should not result in me being penalised by being charged the new fare.
Does anyone have experience of being in this situation, and if so what was the outcome for you?
So I got impatient and phoned the Sydney office -and it was ticketed for me while I waited! I'm a happy chappie right now - see
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Himeno
Doesn't have to be someone at OW HQ in NY. Could be any agent who passed up questions about the fares. Someone quoted a comment from the AA desk asking about FT.
When I called last Thursday when I said start in Maputo the agent said "oh, you've been on FlyerTalk." She had done "about 10" in the previous week.

Another member ticketed with QF and they were told something would need to be done about the prices.

Tickets were booked with AA, BA, CX, and QF according to posts here.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Now that the Mozambique party is over, it's time for us to brag about who got one (or more)! (Just like spotty-faced teenagers right?)

I'll go first shall I:
I got two
DONE5 starting next month, heading West from Europe/Middle East, returning at the end SYD-JNB, so no backtracking through Europe/Middle East
Did it through an Australian travel agent, ticketed by Qantas. All in cost AUD5156

DONE6 starting in June 2017, heading East from Europe/Middle East, returning to Europe for stopovers in London and Madrid - so backtracking through Europe/Middle East. I wanted flights between Europe and Middle East (LHR-TLV-MAD), but AA said no. I've made a complaint about that and so will wait for the outcome
Did it through the AA desk, paid by phoning AA Sydney office All in cost AUD6210

So my thinking is that I've snagged a near two-year validity DONE11 for AUD11,366 all-in. For comparison an ex-Australia DONE4 has a base price of AUD11,999.

These two tickets pretty much take care of my travel needs through until mid-2018
Combined with my paid flying in January this year, the first eight flights on my DONE5 will get me to AA EXP status for the first and probably last time. The flying on these tickets in 2017 will get me to AA PLT status, as will the flying in 2018.

My starting flights are now unchangeable (at least not without paying the new fares). So I've just been online to pick my seat for my MPM-DOH flight in June next year. There is one other seat taken already in the business cabin. I'm thinking it MUST be a fellow FTer - so who is it who's flying MPM-DOH on June 8 2017?

Last edited by pandaperth; Aug 1, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Very nice pandperth. well done.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Alas I had medical scheduling issues that didn't resolve until late yesterday and I was "off-line"...

Since the scheduling flights I would need can be deferred until Apr 2017, I can hope the MZN continues to depreciate and even 10% over three or four months would be "useful". Especially since I seriously doubt I could convince Mrs WF to re-visit CAI. The alternative could still be the PE cabin ex JNB with a RT ticket on CX.

It would seem that the LONEx fares are still quite reasonable...

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Now that the Mozambique party is over, it's time for us to brag about who got one (or more)! (Just like spotty-faced teenagers right?)

I'll go first shall I:
I got two
DONE5 starting next month, heading West from Europe/Middle East, returning at the end SYD-JNB, so no backtracking through Europe/Middle East
Did it through an Australian travel agent, ticketed by Qantas. All in cost AUD5156

DONE6 starting in June 2017, heading East from Europe/Middle East, returning to Europe for stopovers in London and Madrid - so backtracking through Europe/Middle East. I wanted flights between Europe and Middle East (LHR-TLV-MAD), but AA said no. I've made a complaint about that and so will wait for the outcome
Did it through the AA desk, paid by phoning AA Sydney office All in cost AUD6210

So my thinking is that I've snagged a near two-year validity DONE11 for AUD11,366 all-in. For comparison an ex-Australia DONE4 has a base price of AUD11,999.

These two tickets pretty much take care of my travel needs through until mid-2018
Combined with my paid flying in January this year, the first eight flights on my DONE5 will get me to AA EXP status for the first and probably last time. The flying on these tickets in 2017 will get me to AA PLT status, as will the flying in 2018.

My starting flights are now unchangeable (at least not without paying the new fares). So I've just been online to pick my seat for my MPM-DOH flight in June next year. There is one other seat taken already in the business cabin. I'm thinking it MUST be a fellow FTer - so who is it who's flying MPM-DOH on June 8 2017?
i project my july 2017 ticket can get me aa exec in.2018. since i only plan to fly first two.segments in 2017
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:41 am

i am in the middle of a done4 ex jnb that started in jan 2016. 4060usd.
it gets me to aa exec plat with other cheap tickets i have flown. will end in durban in dec, and plan to travel overland to mpm to start ex mpm on jan 2017.

fly that ex mpm till mid july and it has enough mqd for aa and over 90k eqm for aa. then pick up another ex mpm on july 20, fly the first 2 segments, and then will reroute the rest and fly in 2018. these 14 segments will have enough eqd for aa, and most of eqm. since i can still fly cheap domestic aa ticket or cheap international ticket with 4 swus. should have no problem to make aa exec plat in 2018 assuming.the rule wont change much.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Argh!

I didn't see this alert. I've been putting together an ex-MPM AONEx. I'd checked EF Monday morning and afternoon, and it showed unchanged fares, so I thought I was safe. Was going to phone AA RTW today. It would have been my first AONEx.

In hindsight, I should have phoned over the weekend and booked a skeleton ex-MPM AONEx, then added the full itinerary later and paid the $125 reroute.

Is there anywhere to start that's cheap now?

Last edited by anabolism; Aug 2, 2016 at 11:46 am Reason: Accidentally typed FT when I meant EF.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:30 am

exec plat gets 120% bonus on partner instead of 100%.. so. 12000 miles per ticket..
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by anabolism
I didn't see this alert. I've been putting together an ex-MPM AONEx. I'd checked FT Monday morning and afternoon, and it showed unchanged fares, so I thought I was safe. Was going to phone AA RTW today. It would have been my first AONEx.

In hindsight, I should have phoned over the weekend and booked a skeleton ex-MPM AONEx, then added the full itinerary later and paid the $125 reroute.

Is there anywhere to start that's cheap now?
MPM is still cheaper than South Africa and WDH (which were just raised to match SA).

Depending on desired routing CAI might be of interest, or just wait for MPM to crash again.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Surprisingly, EF still shows the previous price with QF and CX. Does that mean there's still hope to book a cheap ex-MPM RTW with these airlines ?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Egypt's looking good right now. And you only need a three continent ticket, as well.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4
Surprisingly, EF still shows the previous price with QF and CX. Does that mean there's still hope to book a cheap ex-MPM RTW with these airlines ?
yes.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:48 pm

aa ba cx jl ib have updated the fare. pandaperth had ticketed on with qf, he may know a way to do it quickly.

within the last year, i have ticketed 16 rtw with cx, 5 with aa (cancelled before better price with cx) and set up numerous pnr with ba aa..... sad that these deals are gone. i have learnt a lot
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbd456
aa ba cx jl ib have updated the fare. pandaperth had ticketed on with qf, he may know a way to do it quickly.

within the last year, i have ticketed 16 rtw with cx, 5 with aa (cancelled before better price with cx) and set up numerous pnr with ba aa..... sad that these deals are gone. i have learnt a lot
I've just looked in EF and yes QF is still showing the old, much lower, prices. CX's prices have now been raised to the new level.

So it can-do no harm to telephone your nearest QF office and give it a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.