Will MH remain in oneworld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will MH remain in oneworld?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I think the point of them going into receivership was to restructure. All of the US based airlines have done it and it hasn't affected their alliance membership.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
I think the point of them going into receivership was to restructure. All of the US based airlines have done it and it hasn't affected their alliance membership.
That is correct. Mr. Mueller the CEO himself said MAS in the restructure process is technically bankrupt. It is similar to Chapter 11 but in Malaysian style. Fire all staff overnight and re-employee 2 thirds of them at a reduced pay to keep airline moving. Much faster than US style but similar in the aim.

To answer other questions in this thread:

MAS will next cancel chunks of routes and then sell aircrafts.

MAS also divides its business to different companies and the ultimate aim is that different companies will have to make a profit on their own.

Lots of changes will come in the coming year but oneworld membership is not affected. The CEO states that he will close MAS operated lounges to take full advantage of oneworld facilities in stations that is not making money or facing withdrawn. He also states a slimmed down MAS will use oneworld partners to reach destinations that MAS can not serve on its own. So there is no need for speculation on MH's oneworld membership.

The CEO also said there were European or Middle East airlines are in touch with MAS to purchase equities in the company. But he states that before MAS back to normal the company will not sell equities to foreign investors from Middle East. (I make an educated guess here that the said ME investor is Etihad)

All information above is from Malaysian local English newspapers between 30th May to 3rd June.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Read this article - it is one of the most detailed and honest report on what is actually going on at MH. How, why and what they are doing..

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...lenging-227746
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by chongcao
So there is no need for speculation on MH's oneworld membership.

The CEO also said there were European or Middle East airlines are in touch with MAS to purchase equities in the company. But he states that before MAS back to normal the company will not sell equities to foreign investors from Middle East. (I make an educated guess here that the said ME investor is Etihad)

you know that when the subject is OW, there are always the lingering mantras of "smallest alliance", "marketing ploy", "loose links". These issues almost never surfaces when the other two alliances members are experiencing difficulties or exit to better pastures.
Regarding the "European companies" willing to invest in MAS, i hope we are talking of IAG, better if in tow with QR, although CM being a Lufty-boy there is always the danger of sudden diktats coming from the motherhouse in Cologne.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CXBA
you know that when the subject is OW, there are always the lingering mantras of "smallest alliance", "marketing ploy", "loose links". These issues almost never surfaces when the other two alliances members are experiencing difficulties or exit to better pastures.
Regarding the "European companies" willing to invest in MAS, i hope we are talking of IAG, better if in tow with QR, although CM being a Lufty-boy there is always the danger of sudden diktats coming from the motherhouse in Cologne.
I don't think MH will ever join *A, even if they receive investment from LH Group, well, as long as SQ exists.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soonyeap
Welldone CM. Now lets see how he revamp, attracts, and keep frequent flyers
I think he needs to attract and keep the high-profit flyers first. Right now MH is the preferred carrier of the cheap frequent flyers, especially in J-cabin.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hillrider
I think he needs to attract and keep the high-profit flyers first. Right now MH is the preferred carrier of the cheap frequent flyers, especially in J-cabin.
It is not cheap if you compare with QR, EK, EY
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by soonyeap
It is not cheap if you compare with QR, EK, EY
Cheap to SEA anyway.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I take MH cause of the cheap Y.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I don't think MH will ever join *A, even if they receive investment from LH Group, well, as long as SQ exists.
And there is no point having a third Star carrier squashed between Thai and Singapore.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
I, for one, will wait for their re-structure, but contrary to the supersticious public, will continue to fly with them, during and after. I've had nothing but eccelent experiences with MH so far
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:48 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Asia is very different to Europe. And the country is not effectively bankrupt unlike Greece
This is a country whose state-linked companies have been bankrolled by government assistance, much of which is suspected to be based on a piggy bank called Petronas, the national oil company. And the price of oil has halved in a year, so it will be a new experience for both MAS and other troubled state linked companies.

I too think that the loss of face would be too much for the government to bear. And it does mean that the need for alliance partners will be much greater so leaving OW would not make sense. Nevertheless, governments are known to make commercially stupid decisions, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by CXBA
No chance of IAG ever getting a look in. Association with the colonial power would kill the Prime Minister. QR is much more viable as it is can be presented to UMNO, the ruling political party as a Muslim investment.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Well said, but SQ could decide to join OW .
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:49 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by KACommuter
Well said, but SQ could decide to join OW .
SQ joining OW does them no benefits - CX/QF/MH competition all abound.

But if only...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.