Search

US vs AB business class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
US vs AB business class

Hi All,

Looking to redeem miles for a J ticket from central Europe to JFK.

I'm 6'1" so seat comfort is very important. Which is the better seat, and which has the better lounges (there are several hours of layovers).

AB would be VIE-DUS-JFK or VIE-TXL-JFK

US would be VIE-ZRH-PHL-HPN (actually gets me closer to my home in Westchester county).

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I just flew both in and out of FCO (USAirways) and TXL (AB). I'm only 5'6 and I thought the length of both seats was perfect. However, the width of AB seat was definitely worse. I also flew the short a FCO-TXL hop in AB in Y (no business class on that route) and I've never felt more cramped. Pitch is the worst I've had.

I was impressed with AB service aboard (if you need to deal with them on the phone, they are AWFUL) and liked the food ex-TXL better than USAirways food ex-CLT.

Both are oneworld partners, so you get access to the same lounges.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:25 am

US vs AB business class

Unfortunately for the OP, while US operates an A330 to FCO with the new Cirrus J seats, ZRH is on an old 762 with recliners. ZRH-PHL is a day flight, so it might not make a difference to the OP, but for sleeping, the Solstys seat on AB is probably better.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:13 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
I´m too 6'1'' - this seems to be the length of the AB seat - from head to toe. So, you might miss 1 or 2 inches on the AB seat for a bit more comfort, however I would prefer the AB-product to the old seats in the US 762 at any time. On the other hand, when I compare HPN with JFK, HPN is probably much more comfortable for you to arrive.

About lounges:
DUS: AB has an own lounge in DUS, however nothing to write home about.

TXL: AB contracts with the AF lounge, as OW Emerald or Sapphire you can alternatively use also the BA lounge one level down. I like both lounges even a bit better then the lounge in DUS.

ZRH: There is a OW lounge in the main terminal between A, where the VIE-flight most likely will arrive and B (however US departs from the satellite Terminal E). The lounge is in my opinion slightly better then the DUS/TXL lounges, also ZRH airport is very nice (and my current home airport)

VIE (my former home airport): AB/HG contracts with the Jet Lounge - they have great Do&Co hot dishes and soups there, or breakfast when you take the morning flight - out of the 4 mentioned lounges, this is my favorite.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks for the input all! Very helpful.

One quick followup -- I have been able to find availability VIE-FRA-PHL-HPN and it seems FRA-PHL is on an A330 with US... would that change the comparison vs. AB in favor of US?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
yes. The US A330s have the same (albeit less lavishly equipped) Cirrus seats that AA put into their critically acclaimed 777-300s, and a contemporary IFE.

If I lived near HPN, I'd value the convenience of the HPN arrival over the slightly better soft product that AB offers compared to US on the transatlantic segment.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by CheVive
Thanks for the input all! Very helpful.

One quick followup -- I have been able to find availability VIE-FRA-PHL-HPN and it seems FRA-PHL is on an A330 with US... would that change the comparison vs. AB in favor of US?
Yes.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I haven't flown on US but I did just fly JFK-TXL on AB and I agree-- the service was excellent and the seat is long enough. What I don't like is that the cabin feels extremely cramped in J...the seats are narrow and it's hard to get in and out of the seat (I'm not overweight either...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.