Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

United or AA to Lima, Cuzco, Machu Picchu?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Question United or AA to Lima, Cuzco, Machu Picchu?

Wife and her gal friend want to visit the above locations this July. They have ample miles to travel first class beginning their odyssey in San Diego. I know both carriers fly to Lima, but to Cuzco I'm not so sure. And I've read where one must take the train between Cuzco and MP. Question is: Will both airlines allow them to spend a few days in Lima before venturing on to Cuzco? Could I kindly get some advice on which would be the better quality carrier to get to these cities and (very importantly) will either or both permit a layover of several days in Lima preferably on the outbound? They plan to stay at the Marriott in Cuzco, but would appreciate recommendations for quality accommodations in Machu. This has been a "dream" trip for both of them for many years so I'm hoping I can get them what they want. Muchas gracias!! You may also contact me at [email protected]
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Yes. With United miles you can book the following itinerary but must be booked as a roundtrip. Neither UA or AA provides a very luxurious first class experience on this route, so don't get too excited.

EWR - LIM

Week layover LIM - CUZ

CUZ - EWR.

Yes you have to take a train to MP. Actually you have to take a 2-3 bus ride from Cusco to the train station, and then about a 2-3 hours train ride to Aguas Calientes and then from there a short 30 minute bus ride to the top of MP. It is a lot of traveling- but every step is scenic and breathtaking (I mean that literally and figuratively- very high elevation!)

It isn't the easiest route in the world but in Cusco there will be a ton of people selling packages to MP which include tickets into MP, train tickets, overnight in a hotel and bus ride to the train station for around $200 per person (purchase this at the Plaza de Armas- main square). I would buy this in Cusco as it is very convenient and everything is taken care of for you.

Enjoy

Last edited by Mauibaby2008; Jan 24, 2014 at 9:25 am
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:23 am

I just booked this in April with United. Lax-pty-lim(stop over for 2 days)-cuz with turn as exact reverse. Plan on going train online and tickets separately. I believe one world has a better presence in south America though.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs

I'm booked in October using AA miles. You have to call--can't do it online.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Yes. With United miles you can book the following itinerary but must be booked as a roundtrip. Neither UA or AA provides a very luxurious first class experience on this route, so don't get too excited.

EWR - LIM

Week layover LIM - CUZ

CUZ - EWR.
United has flat beds on its EWR-LIM route these days. American via MIA to LIM provides domestic F only in addition to regular Y.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
United has flat beds on its EWR-LIM route these days. American via MIA to LIM provides domestic F only in addition to regular Y.
AA has 2 planes that fly the route. If you get on the 763 flight you get their international business class seats. If you get on the 757 you get domestic first class.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wrp96
AA has 2 planes that fly the route. If you get on the 763 flight you get their international business class seats. If you get on the 757 you get domestic first class.
Actually, you are right. I forgot about that other flight. Either way, I think that UA provides the slightly better experience.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG/Marriott Plat, WOH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Gold, jetBlue Mosaic

Even better, fly Avianca/Taca MIA-LIM on their brand new A330s. Did that in November on Macchu Piccu trip and worked out well.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:16 am
Suspended

I see business class fares SAN-IAH-LIM-IAH-SAN on UA for $1666 ai. Plenty dates in July.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I see business class fares SAN-IAH-LIM-IAH-SAN on UA for $1666 ai. Plenty dates in July.
Not at all what op was asking haha
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Not at all what op was asking haha
Originally Posted by maltasr
The OP stated that "They have ample miles to travel first class beginning their odyssey in San Diego." However, the OP never stated that "they" actually wanted to use those miles.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

we flew into Cusco, took a taxi to the Tambo del Inka in Urubamba, then took a train to MP itself. Highly recommend the property.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
we flew into Cusco, took a taxi to the Tambo del Inka in Urubamba, then took a train to MP itself. Highly recommend the property.
Did you book the taxi in advance?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
try Copa

If they're willing to go via LAX then you can use UA miles on Copa Airlines, which has a nice premium service to Lima via Panama City. Not lay-flat like United but more direct at better travel times.

You can get a free stop over in Lima with a round trip to Cusco on TACA, also in First Class, all with UA miles. We did this last year (from ORD) and it worked well.

From there it was pretty easy to get to/from MP and visit all around the Sacred Valley. We paid extra to book everything ahead through a US tour agency for the peace of mind. In retrospect it appeared pretty trivial for any confident, adventurous person to wing it when there because it is all a pretty well-oiled tourist machine.

I'd recommend spending a couple days in Agua Caliente to see MP more than once. I had pretty high expectations and MP still exceeded them, it was that amazing.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Did you book the taxi in advance?
We didn't. There is a long thread on the hotel if you search for it. I recommend searching existing threads for Cuzco as youll find quite a bit. (Note it is spelled both Cusco and Cuzco)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.