Tax/fuel surcharge on open-dated sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

Is it still possible to have an xONEx with open-dated sectors?

Either way (still possible or not), how are/were such tickets priced? The fuel surcharges and "taxes" differ depending on the carrier, and when making carrier changes on a fully-dated e-ticketed xONEx, the "taxes" are recalculated.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I think OPEN segements still have a carrier code attach to it?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Generally no, as you can change dates, it's ok to stick in a flight with a date on it and change it later.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Generally no, as you can change dates, it's ok to stick in a flight with a date on it and change it later.
Uh...I thought that if you can have OPEN segments on a TKT (which is rare these days), it always says something like CXOPEN or AAOPEN on the TKT. The carrier code is needed exactly for the purpose of calculating YR / YQ. Otherwise as OP said YR / YQ cannot be calculated. Also you need carrier codes in the Fare Construction field. One might then be able to change an AAOPEN segment to a BA FLT if fare permits so, and I guess whether extra tax needs to be collected then depends on who re-issue the TKT.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Sure, booking with dummy dates and then changing later is something I (and many of us) do routinely. My question was specific to open-dated sectors. I've never had a ticket with them, so I was curious how they are/were handled.

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Uh...I thought that if you can have OPEN segments on a TKT (which is rare these days), it always says something like CXOPEN or AAOPEN on the TKT. The carrier code is needed exactly for the purpose of calculating YR / YQ. Otherwise as OP said YR / YQ cannot be calculated. Also you need carrier codes in the Fare Construction field. One might then be able to change an AAOPEN segment to a BA FLT if fare permits so, and I guess whether extra tax needs to be collected then depends on who re-issue the TKT.
That would make sense, thanks. It didn't occur to me that it might be open-dated but with a carrier selected.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
You may have open dated with airline coded tickets but when rebooking, the airline must refer to the ORIGINAL issuing airline os that's where all the ticket fare is stored. Without it, your open dated segment cannot be booked and reissued.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
AFAIK, open dated segments tend to be booked as stopovers so, aside from airline fees, mandated levies and taxes are assessed on booking.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Is it still possible to get paper tix for xONEx itineraries? Used to be that even after all tickets went electronic, open segments produced a paper ticket.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Feb 10, 2013 at 6:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.