Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for Oneworld positioning

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Advice for Oneworld positioning

While I have been watching FT roll along for a while now, I'm still a babe at understanding this alliance thing. I'm a annual holiday/leisure traveller - I normally save my dimes and travel Biz class. I'm from Oz and currentlly have 60K QFF, 30K QR PC and 10K MH E. These choices weren't made deliberately - I just wanted to travel from A to B, joined their programm of a Carrier who could get me there and collected the miles (and have redeemed some flights on their individual programms over the years). Now, years on, they are all going to end up in the same alliance.
QF is OW, MH is now in and QR set for 2014.

Can you help me understand the mechanics or point me to some threads that will clarify the following :
With these orphan airlines coming into OW, how should I be setting my FF profile up ?
If I decide to credit all awards to one Carrier, what happens to the to the odds and ends in the other programms.
Note : I booked travel pending in June with QR (mostly) and some MH - about 30K worth all up.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
You cannot combine points in different programmes (even if you can through some indirect means, you will lose a significant portion) if that's what you are looking for.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

So basically, the one (ones) I don't want, work them up to a redeemable size, hit them and zero them on a award flight - then burn the card.
I'll probably have to keep QF as I believe there is some domestic flights that I will not be able to credit to international carriers. Then, work out which of the OW parteners best suite my international travel plans, along with the bells, whistles, lurks and perks that is on offer. It could be one of the two I've got, (or zero and dump them), stay solely with QF, or study up, and choose another airline.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by in2it54
So basically, the one (ones) I don't want, work them up to a redeemable size, hit them and zero them on a award flight - then burn the card.
I'll probably have to keep QF as I believe there is some domestic flights that I will not be able to credit to international carriers. Then, work out which of the OW parteners best suite my international travel plans, along with the bells, whistles, lurks and perks that is on offer. It could be one of the two I've got, (or zero and dump them), stay solely with QF, or study up, and choose another airline.
Yes - a good medium to long term plan.

Reads as if you do not fly enough to get high status (I note you have QR silver). For annual holiday/leisure traveller IMHO what you have done is best. The $$ mean more than the freq flyer points.

Have a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

For mileage collection and burning AA is the best for many people (and low copay fees on awards compared to QF and others). With QF & MH in OW and QR to join 2014 all your miles could go to AA, subject to shaving eligible fares. Some of the cheaper fares do not earn.

Also study the AA challenge rules. With business fares you may qualify for AA status easily. The the miles will build up quicker. This AA challenge web site is not an AA site, but written by others, so treat with caution. Not yet updated for MH joining OW, on 01 Feb 2013, or the recent QR AA agreement so unknown it these airline will/will not be included in the challenge

Edit:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-2013-a-2.html

Off topic:
For lessons on earning & burning over a meal / drinks join us at
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...26-2013-a.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 2, 2013 at 6:31 pm Reason: added AA QR link
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes - a good medium to long term plan.

Reads as if you do not fly enough to get high status (I note you have QR silver). For annual holiday/leisure traveller IMHO what you have done is best. The $$ mean more than the freq flyer points.
On two pionts you are very correct. I don't fly enough for Status and the $$ are important to me.
I find getting out of Oz a killer, so expensive, specially when you throw Biz into the mix. If one can use OW miles to get up to Asia, in my experience, prices are just about halved. QR Silver just happened - one Biz trip, DPS to JFK (Rtn), job done. Now I'm addicted to the 5* treatment.
I need to do some reading. AA miles would get me out of Perth on QF and now MH, with QR to come. The points accumulation period (QR = 5 years) is important to me as well, being only a annual flyer - it gives a lengthy time frame to plan the next adventure. I learnt with TG (the hard way) that they only do 3 years.

Boy, do I need to do some reading. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many programs now have only 18 months no activity before expiry
Some programs required the miles to be used in X years
The occasional car or hotel stay can keep miles alive

QF does not provide much in the way international routes from Perth
With EK/QF arrangement it is unlikely to improve IMHO

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 2, 2013 at 6:33 pm Reason: added "from Perth"
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:35 pm

On two pionts you are very correct. I don't fly enough for Status and the $$ are important to me.
I find getting out of Oz a killer, so expensive, specially when you throw Biz into the mix.
Yes, why is Oz so expensive? I suspect the government controls the market in order to support higher fares -- keeps QF & the unions happy? Wasn't SQ trying to get in on the LAX-SYD route?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I find getting out of Oz a killer, so expensive, specially when you throw Biz into the mix. If one can use OW miles to get up to Asia, in my experience, prices are just about halved. QR Silver just happened - one Biz trip, DPS to JFK (Rtn), job done. Now I'm addicted to the 5* treatment.
I need to do some reading. AA miles would get me out of Perth on QF and now MH, with QR to come. The points accumulation period (QR = 5 years) is important to me as well, being only a annual flyer - it gives a lengthy time frame to plan the next adventure. I learnt with TG (the hard way) that they only do 3 years.

Boy, do I need to do some reading. Thanks for your help.
The limiting factor is that you need an international trip every 11 months and 29 days at which point you can base your flying from SIN/HKG as the round trip tickets to PER are 12 month tickets. Given that the BA/QF tickets exSIN are about 60% less than exPER I find that I can "endure" the Y cabin for the 5 hours or so to SIN to then sit in W or J.

Much better W fares are available in HKG or BKK and J in CMB or TPE

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by MiamiPrep
Yes, why is Oz so expensive? I suspect the government controls the market in order to support higher fares -- keeps QF & the unions happy? Wasn't SQ trying to get in on the LAX-SYD route?
The government has little input/control/effect on actual fares these days.

It's just like many other things, it's perceived by the carriers as a 'captive market' - quite a lot of Oz residents simply don't know better.

Many regular travellers Oz to Asia actually book their returns ex Asia to save significantly on fares.

We used to be able to this for USA as well, however in recent times it's become cheaper or similar ex Oz as ex USA so little, if any, benefit can be gained by doing so.

Last edited by serfty; Feb 3, 2013 at 6:47 pm
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Given that the BA/QF tickets exSIN are about 60% less than exPER I find that I can "endure" the Y cabin for the 5 hours or so to SIN to then sit in W or J.

Much better W fares are available in HKG or BKK and J in CMB or TPE

Happy wandering

Fred
I agree whole heartedly.
My thoughts are, that the OW carrier that I choose, will provide that award 5hr Y fare, to a destnation that provides choice and pricing I demand. There are great W/J fares out of BKK/SIN/KUL and DOH/DXB/AUH. At the moment I'm shelling out to Air Asia (DPS $139 and KUL $179 + Checked Bag). Though, that idea of having the Rtn xxx to Oz sitting there, is a great idea.

Thanks for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.