Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Routing check please, DONE4.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2012, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Routing check please, DONE4.

Please will you chaps have a look over this.

JNB-LHR/LCY-JFK-ORD-LAS-LAX-SFO-LAX-MEL-AKL-MEL-CNS-MEL-(ground transport)-SYD-JNB
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
It's a valid routingIt uses 15 of the allowed 16 segments (as you no doubt know already the LHR-LCY and MEL-SYD surface segments both count towards the total)

So you have one left to play with - ideas:
  • start from somewhere else in South Africa (e.g. CPT-JNB...)
  • squeeze in one more Nth American segment (you are allowed up to six flights in that continent)
  • have a European side-trip - fly LHR-XXX and then XXX-LCY; airline route mapper shows a number of ports serviced from both LHR and LCY for example NCE and ARN - you could even transit through LCY and thus avoid the UK APD tax on the trans-atlantic flight(e.g. ARN-xLCY-JFK)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MM say invalid: Rule violated!!!! [MEL-SYD] Max 4 segment(s): Southwest Pacific. As above "MEL-SYD surface segments both count towards the total"
http://www.slfft.org/mm/award.htm?ow...y#.T-jx_pERI0M
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
MM say invalid: Rule violated!!!! [MEL-SYD] Max 4 segment(s): Southwest Pacific. As above "MEL-SYD surface segments both count towards the total"
http://www.slfft.org/mm/award.htm?ow...y#.T-jx_pERI0M
I thought we decided and confirmed awhile back that surface segments don't count against the total flight segments within each continent.
From the rules (emphasis in original):
A minimum of 3 and maximum of 16 segments, including surface segments between any 2 airports, are permitted for the entire journey. Free flight segments within each continent are limited as follows:
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I thought we decided and confirmed awhile back that surface segments don't count against the total flight segments within each continent.
From the rules (emphasis in original):
Yes: you are correct (I think) Changed a "- " to a " , "
MM now states valid. http://www.slfft.org/mm/award.htm?ow...y#.T-kJfZERI0M

LAS-LAX-SFO are short flights, so not getting much benefit from D (that's not the FT way !)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately time is not a luxury I have for long segments.

It also leaves me 3000 miles short of my EXP membership.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747-444
Going LHR-LAX and JFK-SYD increases the distance.
How many airports are stops / how many transits ?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Pretty much all stops.

Does this routing suffice?

JNB-LHR-SFO-LAX(transit)-LAS-ORD-JFK-LAX(transit)-MEL-AKL-MEL-CNS-MEL-(ground transport)/SYD-JNB.

If I take the routing where I fly into SFO I will also make AA EXP, but if I fly into New York I will take BA001/003 which seems really cool. So my options are fly out of LCY or make AA Exp.

Which one should I take?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:23 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Does this routing suffice?

JNB-LHR-SFO-LAX(transit)-LAS-ORD-JFK-LAX(transit)-MEL-AKL-MEL-CNS-MEL-(ground transport)/SYD-JNB.

If I take the routing where I fly into SFO I will also make AA EXP, but if I fly into New York I will take BA001/003 which seems really cool. So my options are fly out of LCY or make AA Exp.

Which one should I take?
Well it adds around 4000 mi, so if that's what it takes for EXP, so be it.

However

JNB-LHR-xBCN-xLCY-JFK-SFO-LAX-LAS-ORD-LAX-MEL-AKL-MEL-CNS-MEL/SYD-JNB

adds another few hundred miles to that, keeps the LCY-JFK flight, and saves a bunch of money on UK APD since BCN-xLCY-JFK would involve a transit at London. You'd pay the low rate APD on the LHR-BCN flight, much less than the longhaul APD you'd pay on LCY-JFK. You could easily take a morning LHR-BCN flight, turn around and be back at LCY in plenty of time to make BA3, the later LCY-JFK departure, so you wouldn't even lose a day. I'm sure the same thing could work with other shorthaul destinations served by both LHR and LCY, such as AMS or FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.