Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Sri Lankan to join oneworld

Deleted

Last edited by ThomasBne; Jun 28, 2019 at 5:27 am Reason: deleted
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm...a mixed bag. UL has 3-stars in SKYTRAX, and their J-class is configured as a regional J albeit with AVOD; however, it's being upgraded to horizontal lie-flat. Their network doesn't really add a whole lot (certainly not a replacement for IT), but any little bit helps.

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, it's 43.6% owned and is managed by Emirates, which will now be able to directly measure the value of oneworld.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.srilankan.com/en_uk/

Originally Posted by hillrider
Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, it's 43.6% owned and is managed by Emirates, which will now be able to directly measure the value of oneworld.
The OW site press release states as "SriLankan Airlines is majority owned by the Sri Lankan government and state-owned institutions".
8 Jul 2010 http://www.srilankanewstoday.com/news.php?newsid=1737
The Government has become the sole owner of SriLankan Airlines as it has purchased all shares of the Emirates recently.

The Government has purchased 43 percent of shares from Emirates and its share ownership has increased to 94.6 percent. The balance 5.4 percent shares belong to the SriLankan Airlines employees.
< snip>
Wikipedia is never a reliable source.

See today's post on the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...er-merged.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 10, 2012 at 11:37 pm
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: QFF
I wonder with UL joining if they add Sri Lanka to the xASnn which currently doesn't permit areas west of Thailand (Australia, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam).
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I think that it is a good choice. UL has PVG/PEK/CAN/HKG as a fifth free routes from BKK. They also operate MOW-DXB and KUL-SIN.

Last year I had six segments in business on UL. Their STPC experience and my flight PEK-BKK were both good.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
UL is a somewhat baffling choice, especially for CX to sponsor as they compete directly with CX on a few routes. I'm not quite sure what value this adds to OW either. Other than connecting South India & Sri Lanka to OW, what's the big idea?

Are these markets even important?

I'm sure there must be some logic in there somewhere, just that I can't seem to find it.

It's hardly a drop in replacement for IT - if that was the original plan. Usually I'd say the more carriers the merrier, but I don't know what value this really brings to OW
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:16 am

Programs: United MilagePlus Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold
Hopefully they start flying to PNQ to get valuable feed for long haul operations.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:06 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by tejasjog
Hopefully they start flying to PNQ to get valuable feed for long haul operations.
PNQ-CMB-Europe is a very unlikely routing which involves heavy backtracking. It would make more sense to fly domestic to BOM/DEL and then onwards.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:33 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Himeno
I wonder with UL joining if they add Sri Lanka to the xASnn which currently doesn't permit areas west of Thailand (Australia, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam).
Also with the xCIRnn which currently has the same retriction

But since there are OW flights to CMB already (flown by CX), maybe there won't be a change. In any case UL won't be joining until late 2013, so I won't be holding my breath!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pandaperth
But since there are OW flights to CMB already (flown by CX)....
And RJ plus oneworld candidate-member MH.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Their network doesn't really add a whole lot (certainly not a replacement for IT), but any little bit helps.
I love how they put Belfast and Edinburgh as offshore airports somewhere north of their respective islands; and how Frankfurt has migrated well into Poland.

Not any more - Emirates sold their stake back to the Sri Lankan government in 2010.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...3-million.html

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 11, 2012 at 4:43 am
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:55 am

SriLanka's renationalization has been somewhat of a disaster, with the airline continuing to incure operating losses. Its fleet is aging and the inflight entertainment systems rather outdated. It is also being compelled to incorporate another loss-making state-run government airline, Mihin Air. So at this juncture, I am not sure what value addition this will bring to OW, except, of course, a few more routing options to India, Maldives and Sri Lanka.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:24 am

SriLanka is planning a fleet renewal program right now they are currently deciding between the A350 and the 777. They stated a decision will be made before 2012 ends and also planning to increase their fleet to 30 aircrafts with them joining Oneworld it will give them a chance to grow their fleet even more in the future.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Baffling really. Surely OW has higher priorities. I wonder who their sponsor is?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Half a loaf is better than no bread...

UL will offer another option to fly from Europe to Asia (especially the Indian Sub-Continent) without having to fork out BA's huge YQ charges; also, for those who can fly from FRA/PAR etc., another way to avoid APD.

And I daresay UL offers far better service than RJ.

Considering how few active carriers there are in OW today, I say the more the merrier...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.