Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:53 pm
eqe

Originally Posted by remymartin
You don't write which carriers you tend to use. Should you use AY for transatlantic flights, I would recommend you to choose AAdvantage over BAEC - discounted economy earnings are a lot better at the moment.

I will second what bhomburg wrote before - don't get too attached to your miles as they might halve in value - or worse (remember Màlev?) - over night.

I mostly fly AA,BA and AY. Why I don't want to stay on AY is because I get less points from them and then their taxes are way higher than anyone's else. So far, after reading all these posts, I have come up that I should start collecting my points on AA. I do fly every year and I do already have Amex, so I think right now my best option would be AA.

but the again, I heard you don't get points from BA flights for AAdvantage if it's Transatlantic. Is that correct? because I fly a lot between HEL-DFW and that route is usually with BA (sometimes AA)

Thanks you
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by eqe
but the again, I heard you don't get points from BA flights for AAdvantage if it's Transatlantic. Is that correct? because I fly a lot between HEL-DFW and that route is usually with BA (sometimes AA)
Now that would be pretty strange, no? I don't believe it's correct, and there's nothing to confirm that on the AAdvantage earnings chart for BA operatred flights - http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...es/british.jsp

Do note, though, that you don't earn miles for flights to Cuba (e.g. Iberia)
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by eqe
That rule disappeared years ago.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eqe
I mostly fly AA,BA and AY. Why I don't want to stay on AY is because I get less points from them and then their taxes are way higher than anyone's else.
AY real taxes are exactly the same as for all other airlines on the same route & class of travel.
Co pay fees & surcharges differ betweeen airlines.
Do not confuse real taxes with airlines imposed fees (~profit)

In times past BA flights got nil/less AA miles, but now is as the link above. Always check the fare bucket you have bought

Points/miles are not equal between airline FFP's. Its all about earn/burn and what your objectives are from a FFP
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:55 pm

I need advice on where i should deposit my miles after attaining top tier status on QF.

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: SIN, CBR
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
Reply: >50k, Mix of W and J
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ? ( First, Business, Economy etc.)
Reply: Business, Premium Economy
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service?. Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Mainly pleasure, most probably on CX and QF
(5) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: Asia - Aussie, Asia - LOTFAP, Intra-Australia
(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline at present? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP? (AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: QF Gold (turning platinum soon)
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? (upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Good earn and burn rates
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: CX, QF

Now I've shortlisted a few FFPs for consideration

AY plus - for its lifetime platinum status, but that requires lots of flying.
AA AAdvantage - Impressive earn rates and burn rates, possible EXP as well
MH Enrich - Impressive burn rates - possible platinum as well

Being based in asia, MH should be the obvious choice due to the proximity, but why not CX MPC, because it requires an insane amount of spending to get MPC Diamond. AAdvantage will be good for intra asia-pacific awards in J and the earn rate for EQM/EQP is 1.5 for W and J, making qualification for EXP fairly easy.

Open to suggestions!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by lowjhg
I need advice on where i should deposit my miles after attaining top tier status on QF.
Being based in asia, MH should be the obvious choice due to the proximity, but why not CX MPC, because it requires an insane amount of spending to get MPC Diamond. AAdvantage will be good for intra asia-pacific awards in J and the earn rate for EQM/EQP is 1.5 for W and J, making qualification for EXP fairly easy.
The AAdvantage earn rate for W on QF, BA and CX is 1 EQM plus 10% COS bonus. COS bonus miles are not EQM, just RDM. On JL, W earns no COS bonus at all...
W fares earn 1.5 EQP on all carriers that offer it, though. That means you can qualify for EXP with just 66,667 miles flying W or higher, which is a pretty sweet deal.
AA does have a four-segment AA metal minimum requirement for status qualification, but this is not enforced.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:35 pm

(1) What is your home airport?

SIN

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?

>50k, economy, business, rarely first

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?

Economy if I pay, economy or business if someone else pays. Probably > half economy.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service?. Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?

Can usually choose airlines, and can often choose the class of service, but there is normally a fixed budget, so choosing business burns through it much much faster. Travel for work and pleasure.

(5) Which routes do you fly most often

SIN to Asia (e.g., China), less often to Europe, still less often to US. Would like to eliminate US entirely, but can't.

(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline at present? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?

Both AA and BA, very low miles and no status. Million-miler and current 1K member on United, but I avoid UA whenever possible. However, remaining star alliance, and flying on partners, might be a viable option.

(7) What is most important to you in a FFP?

Upgrades, free baggage (but usually get that ex-Asia anyway), lounge access.

(8) Preferred Airlines

Haven't been flying OW much, so little experience to base this one. I am thinking about joining the plans of Cathay, Malaysia, or Qatar, but would consider others (or remaining in AA or BA).

My inclination is to join Cathay, but that is a rather uninformed opinion at this point.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:49 am

BRU
Last year, I've earned 10k in M&M
Economy
I travel for pleasure for holiday so the price is the most important factor.
(5) Which routes do you fly most often?
Around Europe, Europe-Asia, Europe - South America
(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline at present? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
I don't have any FFP status. However, I have around 25k miles in M&M.
Upgrate for travel and good awards ticket
(8) Preferred Airlines
LOT, Lufthansa, TAM, ETIHAD, British Airways

The most important for me is to have a possibility to gather miles without affraid of losing them if I am not travel using airline of one aliance for the long time. For example, I had around 8k miles in Flying Blue gathered during my trip to Japan but they all gone because I haven't flown using SkyTeam for a long time.
In addition, I fly rom time to time with One World. I've allready booked 4 ticket for Iberia. During las two months, I flew couple of times With Air Berlin or Malaysia Airlines.

Last edited by jbrawo; Jan 13, 2014 at 10:00 am
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by jbrawo
The most important for me is to have a possibility to gather miles without affraid of losing them if I am not travel using airline of one aliance for the long time.
A few posts upthread I have listed all OW programs' point expiration policies. With your flying patterns and given that the IAG airlines have the most generous expiration rules out there, I'd say it's a toss between BA and IB. Also, both allow using Avios plus money for tickets, which is a bonus for those who don't fly a lot but want to use their points.
You can have accounts in both programs and even transfer points back and forth between both, so that's what I recommend you do.

Also, check if there's an affiliated credit card will let you earn Avios on everyday purchases to help bolster your account and keep your points from expiring.

M&M has become practically worthless for low-spending leisure travelers. With BA/IB, your chances of sitting in a premium cabin courtesy of your points will be much higher.
The largest downsides: Ridiculously high 'fuel surcharges' (YQ) for award bookings on BA which run into hundreds of Euros for longer flights plus high taxes when flying BA via London, especially in premium cabins (IB has much lower surcharges) and no upgrades from discount economy fare classes.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:05 am

Smile

Reply: CPH, SFO, KRS
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
Reply: 25k-50k, mostly Y and discounted Y
Reply: Economy
Reply: Mainly pleasure, most probably on QR, BA, AA or MH
(5) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: Europe - Asia (typically on QR), Transatlantic, US domestic, intra Europe (usually from scandinavia)
(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline at present? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP? (AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: No status, 15k QR miles, 22k MH miles
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? (upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Good earn and burn rates, easy OW silver
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: QR where convenient

Last edited by kjemperud; Jan 16, 2014 at 10:51 am Reason: bold
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:41 am

SIN

>50k economy

Economy

Pleasure

SIN to ICN and SIN to USA

FFP with KE and SQ

Award flights, long duration before expiration since I dont fly much

(8) Preferred Airlines
MH or CX?

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Reply: it changes annually as I'm an expat. I fly at least annually to DFW and DTW, but it's rarely more than twice per year

Reply:
~70k. Minimum 6 round trip flights, sometimes up to 15 round trip flights

Reply:
Almost always business class

Reply:
Most of my flights are paid by company, except 1 trip to a vacation country (typically European) and 1 trip to the USA which are out of my pocket. For company flights, airline depends but I usually have discretion, as long as it's a major airline. Company pays for business class for any flight over 8 hours (which nearly all are)

Reply:
Among & between Asian/African countries (primarily South East and East Asia), +1 european or SE asian vacation and 1 USA

Reply:
AA lifetime gold, ~700k AA miles. Primary benefit is reserving exit row (I'm 6'8") when stuck in economy. I'm DL diamond for the rest of the year, but with the spend requirement combined with the fact I'm only on USA planes once per year and nobody outside the USA takes American Express, there's no way I'll have any status (other than lifetime silver) after this -- which is why I'm realigning alliances.

Reply:
I used to be all about status (and still am to a certain degree) so I could get lounge access and upgrades for economy flights my company put me on, but since I became an expat flying business everywhere the real value for me is having company travel miles pay for my flights to the USA / vacation trip each year

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:
Any

Last edited by 2tall4economy; Jan 16, 2014 at 11:42 pm
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: NZ Elite Gold
Have maintainable *G, now wondering what other FFP to join...

Hi everyone,

My question is one that spans all alliances/FFPs, so I've posted it over in the Information Desk forum, which is the right place for it according to the mods. This is just a quick note to link to it and hopefully get some eyeballs on it.

Flame-Prevention Disclaimer: I'm posting this note here only after discussion with the Info Desk mods. They confirmed that my original post is already in the correct forum, but because the Information Desk forum is not a very well-known forum yet, they suggested that I could link here to my original post, since cross-posting is against the forum rules (and it's annoying anyway ).

If any FFP gurus can take a moment to read my question I'd be super duper grateful! Here's the link, I'm pretty sure it'll open automatically in a new tab:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...er-ffp-go.html

thanks for your time,

Ash.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 4:03 am

Reply: DOH, CPH (currently in the process of moving to DOH, for 2-3 years only)

Reply: not sure yet, probably around 20-25k

Reply: Economy

Reply: Work and pleasure, can chose but Qatar Airways has the best flight times and least stopovers from DOH.

Reply: DOH - Europe. Planned also some DOH - SE Asia trips

Reply: around 35k miles in Qatar Airways programme, some tiny 9k in SAS Flying Blue (won't use them anymore from this year on)

Reply: award flights mostly. Most things aren't important as my husband will collect much less miles than I do, and flights aren't so long that I really need lounge access or upgrades. Though I must admit that Qatar Airways business class in a 787 is very nice indeed

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: no specific preferences.

Last edited by salamandergirl; Jan 19, 2014 at 4:55 am
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Reply: HKG

Reply: 50k intra Asia, 150k TPAC, 50k US/Canada

Reply: Economy, Business if approved by client.

Reply: Business. Pleasure on vac/visit family.

Reply: 50k intra Asia, 150k TPAC, 50k US/Canada

Reply: Can get AA EXP match/challenge from DL DM

Reply: upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, better award access, free lounge access.

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: None

Other considerations
My Asian HQ is being relocated to HKG from MNL in 2014 and will focus on E Asia and China (TPE TYO ICN & PEK PVG) as well as SE Asia (SIN BKK MNL at the present time)
Consultancy business clients in LAX SFO SEA and YVR
I have parents, in-laws and offspring around YYZ.

Citizenship: Canadian, British subject with right of abode in UK and HK-SAR Chinese national.
Present status: Resident of HK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.