Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:43 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Remember 33.3K EQP credited to AA will get you PLT status and the 100% status bonus.
You need 50K elite qualifying points (EQP) for Platinum. In premium economy classes and above, AA allots 1.5 EQP per flown mile, so 33.3K flown miles will earn 50K EQP.

With your flying patterns it might behoove you also to think about BA. It sounds like you could easily qualify for BA Silver (= AA Platinum = Oneworld Sapphire) which would get you mileage bonuses but also permit access to AA lounges even when traveling domestically on US or Canadian itineraries. You'd need 600 tier points (for example, one-way TPAC or TATL in J earns 120 tier points, 140 if on BA metal) for Silver, which certainly sounds doable. (You'd also need to fly 4 segments on BA metal during the year, which might or might not be an issue.) Look at the tier point tables that you can find on the BA board. Short-haul redemptions using BA Avios can be good value compared with AA redemptions (long haul not so much) but BA's upgrade options (MFUs) are way better than AA's.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
I have a Priority Pass which gets me access to lounges in most airports also, so that's not a necessary perk.

My primary reason for switching is I've grown tired of AC's mean old FAs in J class, and the crap around their FFP. What I want from benefit is the upgrades on purchased economy for the family vacations TATL, or ability to reasonably redeem for business class TATL.

The big hole in my plan, of course, is what to do with domestic longhaul (ie YYZ-YYC/YVR). Seems like AC remains my only option with J, though I'd fly WS if I could credit their points to OW.

My thought had been CX vs. BA, but seems like AA may be worth considering.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:38 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by kellytoronto
The big hole in my plan, of course, is what to do with domestic longhaul (ie YYZ-YYC/YVR). Seems like AC remains my only option with J, though I'd fly WS if I could credit their points to OW.
WS miles can be credited to an AA account; no redemptions yet but expected. Miles are not elite qualifying. https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...es/westjet.jsp
Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
WS miles can be credited to an AA account; no redemptions yet but expected. Miles are not elite qualifying. https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...es/westjet.jsp
If I could credit them yet to BA, it would be an easy decision. Still - it's only 1-2 flts per year.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
You need 50K elite qualifying points (EQP) for Platinum. In premium economy classes and above, AA allots 1.5 EQP per flown mile, so 33.3K flown miles will earn 50K EQP.
Apologies, I did mean to say 33.3K miles in Business (yielding 50K EQP)
AA's qualification year is fixed calendar. I believe BA/CX would have a "floating" year based on anniversary/qualifying. That might make a difference.

Fred
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:58 pm
c2h

Programs: QR-PLT, AM-Platino, TK-Elite
Is MH Enrich an option?

I'm based in MEX and KUL so I fly between the two regularly. I used to have Sapphire status with MX but since it went bankrupt on 2012 I switched to fly mainly *A and ST of which I have status.

Now that MH is joining OW in Feb should I maintain my Gold or is AA a better option?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:48 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by c2h
I'm based in MEX and KUL so I fly between the two regularly. I used to have Sapphire status with MX but since it went bankrupt on 2012 I switched to fly mainly *A and ST of which I have status.

Now that MH is joining OW in Feb should I maintain my Gold or is AA a better option?
I did take a quick look at the MH program through their website, and I DO NOT claim to be an expert. My conclusion was that I would re-read the details after they have officially joined and all of the cross crediting arrangements are known.

My guess from the look was that only MH flights were used to determine status. If true, not very useful.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; Lifemiles; Flying Blue
Changing between programs (AA to LAN)?

Hi all,

Probably this question has been asked before, but I wanted to get your insight on this conundrum.

Currently I have Aadvantage gold status and residing in Ecuador. In the near future I will most probably be transfered to Lima, Perú. From there I will most travel (how frequently I don't know) between Perú and Ecuador, flying LAN, with the ocassional escapade to the US, in that case probably either flying AA or LAN.

Should I switch between programs or stick to AAdvantage?

My current thinking is that since I already have status with AA I should continue using it, since -at least- I'll get to use the business counters at the airports and get bonus mileage when flying LAN, plus the possibility of keep on profiting priority access and seating when flying American.

What's your take on this?

Thanks,
Fernando
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:22 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ferluq
Hi all,

Probably this question has been asked before, but I wanted to get your insight on this conundrum.

Currently I have Aadvantage gold status and residing in Ecuador. In the near future I will most probably be transfered to Lima, Perú. From there I will most travel (how frequently I don't know) between Perú and Ecuador, flying LAN, with the ocassional escapade to the US, in that case probably either flying AA or LAN.

Should I switch between programs or stick to AAdvantage?

My current thinking is that since I already have status with AA I should continue using it, since -at least- I'll get to use the business counters at the airports and get bonus mileage when flying LAN, plus the possibility of keep on profiting priority access and seating when flying American.

What's your take on this?

Thanks,
Fernando
Not too familiar with LANs program but another option to keep in min would be British Airways BAEC. If redeeming your miles are important to you, BA Avios are distance based and would require less points if you were to redeem
from Lima to Ecuador for instance.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:47 am
Moderator, OneWorld

I'm moving this thread to the sticky regarding Oneworld FFPs.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by wandering_fred

My guess from the look was that only MH flights were used to determine status. If true, not very useful.
I would posit that that may change with entry into oneworld.

Aside from a few with minimum 'home airline' segment rules, there are no oneworld airline FF programs that prevent the attaining of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald levels without being able to earn part of the qualifying status on oneworld parters.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:01 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Compliments of the season, OW sticky,

I'm not sure whether or not I should start earning miles with a OW carrier, for the following reason:

Of all the airlines in this alliance, the only one that would prove useful to me is LA. I'd like to get to a few places in South America - Caracas, Merida (Venezuela), Iguazu, maybe Easter Island, maybe Stanley, Brasilia, and Puerto Montt- and it seems Lan flies to most of those. I currently have zero miles in the entire OW alliance; is it worth it to buy a LA explorer pass, and if so, what is the best itinerary? Or should I just start earning with one of the OW carriers, and get some open-jaw segments in the continent?

Thanks,
BmB
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: QF LTG
QANTAS Gold FF moving to USA - Switch to AAdvantage?

I am a QANTAS Lifetime Gold FF currently based in SYD and will be moving to New York mid year until at least mid 2014. While my flying will slow down to one or two domestic trips per month and 2 or 3 international trips per year (Mostly all in Economy, discount economy at that!)

I currently have 110,000 QFF Points and am trying to work out if I should switch my mile earning to AA or keep my points going to QF. I will obviously use my QF card for lounge access and just switch the account number on the booking once in the lounge.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 5:04 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
I am a QANTAS Lifetime Gold FF currently based in SYD and will be moving to New York mid year until at least mid 2014. While my flying will slow down to one or two domestic trips per month and 2 or 3 international trips per year (Mostly all in Economy, discount economy at that!)

I currently have 110,000 QFF Points and am trying to work out if I should switch my mile earning to AA or keep my points going to QF. I will obviously use my QF card for lounge access and just switch the account number on the booking once in the lounge.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm going to move this to the existing sticky thread regarding choosing a Oneworld FFP.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: QF LTG
I'm going to move this to the existing sticky thread regarding choosing a Oneworld FFP.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Thanks,
It is less about choosing a program than choosing if I should credit AA flights to an AA or QF account. I am sure I will get a helpful answer here though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.