Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World walkabout

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2011, 8:45 am
Original Poster

World walkabout

I'm trying to figure out best deal for an RTW in first class. Oneworld explorer is alright, there is also the world walkabout which at least in economy is pretty good deal.
I don't need many stops. I want to visit SE-Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji at least, but LA or somewhere else in NA would be good as well. I can start from London and doesn't matter which way I go, east or west.

Any experiences of walkabout in business or first? Any ideas where to buy? Qantas web pages are useless and quote more than 11k GBP which cannot be right. Should be more like 5-6k GBP.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 2:55 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You expect to find a RTW F fare for GBP 5K ex-UK? Please post here when you do
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
You expect to find a RTW F fare for GBP 5K ex-UK? Please post here when you do
Well, maybe more towards the 6k, but yes I have seen it lately. They advertised some in the roundtheworldflights.com a few months ago. I searched now and couldn't find anymore... I believe it was around 5800 GBP + tax.

edit: found a page from Google cache dated a few weeks back. Search gave me 6133 GBP + tax. Well, still way less than 11k GBP.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:24 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tentativetraveller
Well, maybe more towards the 6k, but yes I have seen it lately. They advertised some in the roundtheworldflights.com a few months ago. I searched now and couldn't find anymore... I believe it was around 5800 GBP + tax.

edit: found a page from Google cache dated a few weeks back. Search gave me 6133 GBP + tax. Well, still way less than 11k GBP.
6,133 + tax... or 6,133 + tax and fuel surcharges? As that could make quite a difference!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
and definitely not oneworld i suspect
Old Jun 25, 2011, 5:32 am
Suspended

I'm trying to figure out best deal for an RTW in first class. Oneworld explorer is alright, there is also the world walkabout which at least in economy is pretty good deal.
I don't need many stops. I want to visit SE-Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji at least, but LA or somewhere else in NA would be good as well. I can start from London and doesn't matter which way I go, east or west.

Any experiences of walkabout in business or first? Any ideas where to buy? Qantas web pages are useless and quote more than 11k GBP which cannot be right. Should be more like 5-6k GBP.
World Walkabout is QF's around the world product consist QF (JQ+Air pacific), some BA flights and some AA flights. It is economy class only fares booked in class Q (or O, I can not remember exactly, someone correct me please). It is only valid for sale in Europe and departure form selected EU cities. The only place you can buy this product EASILY is directly with Qantas or STATRAVEL. Again it is one ECONOMY CLASS ONLY product so no business or first class fares available.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for info. Better figure out something else then...
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: AA PLT
Add Content
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Thanks for info. Better figure out something else then...
An AONE4 (First Class OneWorld Explorer, 4 Continents), starting in Tel Aviv is US$10,000 (approx £6200) + taxes. You won't get clobbered too badly for fuel surcharges if you get it ticketed by AA. You could do most of your desired itinerary in First, but Fiji is a no-no on any OneWorld Explorer as no OW carrier flies there (on their own metal). If you really must do Fiji, there is, however, the OneWorld Global Explorer fare. This allows use of Air Pacific, and other carriers such as Alaskan Airlines, and is the same price as the 4 continent OW Explorer. It is, however, limited to a max. of 34,000 miles whereas the 'plain' OW Explorer has no stated limit. (I did about 66,000 miles on my AONE5 a couple of years ago.)

Obviously, to kick off in TLV you have to get there from the UK, but Sqezy have flights from Luton, I believe. You don't even need to end in TLV, as anywhere in the Middle East is OK. You could end in Oman, which, IMHO, is far superior to Dubai, and use some of your earned miles to get back to the UK.

As many flights these days don't offer F, your itinerary could cost around £4500 + taxes (+ getting to TLV) if you were to do it all in Business class. Personally, I think paying around 35% more, to get F where available, is worth it, as a trip like this is something quite exceptional, but that is very much a matter of personal preference.

An example xGLOB34 itinerary is: TLV-LHR-HKG-BKK-SIN-SYD-NAN-HNL-LAX-SFO-LHR-MCT, which is a bit over 31,000 miles. You could also add in a trip to APW, in Western Samoa for next to nothing or do a side trip somewhere along the line, say to AKL and MEL. Side trips usually don't offer F, but the main itin. could all be in F, I think, except for the BKK-SIN & SYD-NAN_HNL portions.

Hope this helps your thinking..

Last edited by satprof; Jun 26, 2011 at 5:06 am Reason: Corrected Air Fiji (FJ) to Air Pacific
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks satprof!

I found this: http://www.roundtheworldtickets.com/...d-first-class/

First class 6500GBP when starting the trip in low season like May.
This Discoverer First Class round the world fare allows you to circle the globe visiting Africa, the Far East, North America, Central America, South America and the South Pacific. It also allows unlimited extra stops within Australia (within the general mileage and sector rules of this RTW ), is valid for 12 months and is fully flexible – allowing date changes and unusually, re-routing. Prices & routes are valid low season (generally leaving the UK in May), & include tax & fuel surcharges – please call us on 020 7704 5700 for an accurate quote depending on when you are leaving the UK.
Not too bad. Have to check the explorer tickets as well and compare the routes.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 1:51 pm

Thanks satprof!

I found this: http://www.roundtheworldtickets.com/...d-first-class/

First class 6500GBP when starting the trip in low season like May.

Not too bad. Have to check the explorer tickets as well and compare the routes.
Be careful with the vague itineraries on that website. A couple of trips are listed as RTW, but in fact are circle trips around Asia and SW Pacific. Also, some of the 1st class RTW's show itineraries where there is no first class service, i.e. UK - Buenos Aires - Australia - Fiji - Auckland - Australia - Bangkok - UK
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
FEZSQ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.