Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: American, BA, NWA, United, US Air
Thanks, Gardyloo,
The connection Newark-EDI sound splendid. Did not see it in my search.
Great find, thanks.
Hakluyt
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:10 am

Any idea when BA Awards would be listed through the AA site? I am looking for flights to Athens in Sept and there are zero all month. June/July are wide open, so it seems like they just haven't opened things yet? Or is September somehow much more popular than I thought?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Looking for best link to explain Schengen/non Schengen.

I am flying from SFO-DFW-FRA on AA in 1st, then Aerberlin to Catania Sicily.

Return will be FCO-LHR-JFK-SFO in biz.

From a previous post, I was told I could use the lounges upon arrival, which is in the departures lounge before passport control.

Thank you!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:30 pm

oneworld question from newbie

I have avios points and AAdvantage points. I am traveling to Hong Kong roundtrip from JFK in April. The trip is a cruise package with air included. I just found out that the carrier is Cathay Pacific, a oneworld partner. I have an "m" class ticket. Can I upgrade to business class using either avios or AAdvantage points? Please provide details.

Thanks!!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: oneworld *A,Nexus/GE
Checked AA baggage with separate booking to HKG on CX smooth?

If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

Any Bad Experiences. Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by amehac
I have avios points and AAdvantage points. I am traveling to Hong Kong roundtrip from JFK in April. The trip is a cruise package with air included. I just found out that the carrier is Cathay Pacific, a oneworld partner. I have an "m" class ticket. Can I upgrade to business class using either avios or AAdvantage points? Please provide details.

Thanks!!
No, not using avios or AAdvantage miles.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
OW vs *A SFO-LHR Fares in J 5/14-5/30

Hi All,

New poster here, so hopefully I won't get flamed..

I have been attempting to figure out when to buy a ticket from SFO-LHR in J for 5/14 returning 5/30. Currently, the lowest fares in each category stack up as follows:

*A with connection (US, UA, AC mainly): $3000-3060
*A nonstop: ~$4600
OW with connection (BA, AA): $5100
OW nonstop (BA): $5100
Virgin: $5100

Does anyone have any insight on what might be driving the differences, and whether the OW carriers will eventually converge with with the *A fares?

I'd much rather fly BA so I was wondering whether I should hold off or not.

Thanks,
Metanoia
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:30 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I'm moving this to the "newbie" thread; don't worry about flaming.

As always this has to do with supply and demand, and most people feel that trying to time airfares is similar to trying to time the stock markets.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:47 pm

Can't find anything about BA and the American Express Platinum $200 airline fee credit. Has anyone ever received the Amex credit for the hefty fuel surcharge and fees from buying a ticket on BA (they always say the fare is say $200 but the surcharges are $647), or maybe bought a gift certificate through BA? Last year I chose UA for my preferred airline and was credited $140 for a seat upgrade fee, which I was not expecting - it looked like an upgrade was on the list of what wouldn't be credited. I'm wondering if the $200 credit would help me with BA because I have enough Avios for a ticket to the UK but the surcharges are ridiculous. UA and Delta, the other airlines I have branded cards for, have very low fees so buying tickets outright to gain miles is fine with me. Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:52 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by cat22
Looking for best link to explain Schengen/non Schengen.

I am flying from SFO-DFW-FRA on AA in 1st, then Aerberlin to Catania Sicily.

Return will be FCO-LHR-JFK-SFO in biz.

From a previous post, I was told I could use the lounges upon arrival, which is in the departures lounge before passport control.

Thank you!
Huh? In SFO probably yes, as AA usually allows arriving PAX who are eligible for departure lounges to access the Admiral's Club even if they are not entitled to. I don't think this is the case outside of US, especially since there appears to be no OW lounge in CTA.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Me and my friend are planning trip around Asia during spring and expect to have most flights on oneworld airlines, so I guess it might be good idea to use Visit Asia pass.

However, it's hard to find detailed information about it so I'd like to ask few questions:

1. Is there any universal key on how is fare calculated?

2. Oneworld's website states: "Valid on all services within Asia operated and marketed by Cathay Pacific, Dragonain, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines and Royal Jordanian and their affiliates", but I guess that my longhaul flight from Europe to Asia (and return) can be on any OW airline, for example BA - is this correct?

3. "Fares are for travel in economy-class cabins" - I'm fine with this, we plan to use economy for intra-Asian flights.. however, we would like to take our longhaul flight from Europe to Asia (and return) in business class, is this possible?

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by the810
Me and my friend are planning trip around Asia during spring and expect to have most flights on oneworld airlines, so I guess it might be good idea to use Visit Asia pass.

However, it's hard to find detailed information about it so I'd like to ask few questions:

1. Is there any universal key on how is fare calculated?

2. Oneworld's website states: "Valid on all services within Asia operated and marketed by Cathay Pacific, Dragonain, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines and Royal Jordanian and their affiliates", but I guess that my longhaul flight from Europe to Asia (and return) can be on any OW airline, for example BA - is this correct?

3. "Fares are for travel in economy-class cabins" - I'm fine with this, we plan to use economy for intra-Asian flights.. however, we would like to take our longhaul flight from Europe to Asia (and return) in business class, is this possible?

Thanks
1. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...uch-costs.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...ght=visit+asia
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:39 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Biz BDA-Australia Awards

A friend of mine was saying he couldn't find biz awards to Australia from Bermuda. I wasn't sure, but he might have implied that he can do it through London but not through the USA.

I'm sure that availability is probably limited, but what tricks if any are available for booking a biz award from Bermuda to Australia? I'm pretty sure his miles are AA.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by redtop43
A friend of mine was saying he couldn't find biz awards to Australia from Bermuda. I wasn't sure, but he might have implied that he can do it through London but not through the USA.

I'm sure that availability is probably limited, but what tricks if any are available for booking a biz award from Bermuda to Australia? I'm pretty sure his miles are AA.
Assuming you friend's miles are in fact with AA
I just tried a BDA-SYD return redemption on aa.com (for random dates in October and November)
It shows Y availability, but no Business or First availablilty
The miles shown are correct for a Nth America - Sth West Pacific redemption
(75K for Y, 125K for J and 145K for F)

So the redemption is certainly allowed (this in turn implies that Qantas, the 'over water' carrier, has a published fare BDA-SYD). It would seem that your friend's issue is availability.

It is notoriously difficult for AA frequent flyers to get premium cabin award seats on Qantas's trans-Pacific flights - the only way is to book far in advance, or get lucky closer in.
There is a thread on this in the AA forum

Last edited by pandaperth; Feb 19, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.