Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2011, 2:50 am

OneWorld Round-the-World advice

Hi,

I am a newbie looking at OneWorld Explorer and Global Explorer. We are BA Exec club members with about 100,000 miles to play with, but have previously only earned/redeemed on LHR-YYC flights so a Round-the-World ticket is a whole new ball game I would be grateful of any advice about!

Our potential routing is as follows: LHR-YYC; surface sector; YVR-LAX-NAN; NAN-HKG-DXB; DXB-LHR.

My questions are:
1) On the OneWorld Network map, Nadi/Fiji is shown with a blue dot as a city, with Codeshare flights from LAX and HKG. But when I try to plug this into the OneWorld Itinerary Planner to get a price, it doesn’t bring up NAN/Nadi/Fiji when I search, nor does it have a blue dot on the map. Is our above routing possible?

2) Is this routing more suited to OneWorld Explorer or Global Explorer?

3) I have read it is possible to start a RTW ticket in a country different from that we reside. Therefore is it possible to: buy/redeem single LHR-YYC flight. Travel YYC-YVR surface sector. Commence RTW ticket from YVR, right through to LHR at end of planned route. Then within 12 months of departing YVR, use RTW ticket to travel LHR-YYC on a separate trip I will then buy/redeem a YYV-LHR ticket back home.

I appreciate there are a number of questions there, thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by saskew
Hi,

I am a newbie looking at OneWorld Explorer and Global Explorer. We are BA Exec club members with about 100,000 miles to play with, but have previously only earned/redeemed on LHR-YYC flights so a Round-the-World ticket is a whole new ball game I would be grateful of any advice about!

Our potential routing is as follows: LHR-YYC; surface sector; YVR-LAX-NAN; NAN-HKG-DXB; DXB-LHR.

My questions are:
1) On the OneWorld Network map, Nadi/Fiji is shown with a blue dot as a city, with Codeshare flights from LAX and HKG. But when I try to plug this into the OneWorld Itinerary Planner to get a price, it doesn’t bring up NAN/Nadi/Fiji when I search, nor does it have a blue dot on the map. Is our above routing possible?

2) Is this routing more suited to OneWorld Explorer or Global Explorer?

3) I have read it is possible to start a RTW ticket in a country different from that we reside. Therefore is it possible to: buy/redeem single LHR-YYC flight. Travel YYC-YVR surface sector. Commence RTW ticket from YVR, right through to LHR at end of planned route. Then within 12 months of departing YVR, use RTW ticket to travel LHR-YYC on a separate trip I will then buy/redeem a YYV-LHR ticket back home.

I appreciate there are a number of questions there, thanks in advance for any advice!
1) The Oneworld itinerary planner is for planning Oneworld Explorer tickets. On the Oneworld Explorer ticket you would not be allowed to fly non-Oneworld airlines, except for Jetstar operated Qantas marketed flights (NAN-SYD is one option).

The Global Explorer ticket, on the other hand, allows flying on some non-Oneworld airlines. Your YVR-LAX flight would be on Alaska Airlines and your LAX-NAN-HKG flights on Air Pacific. This seems to be your best option.

2) Global Explorer, as explained above.

3) This is certainly possible, but I don't recommend it. The LGLOB29 (the Global Explorer at your mileage level in Economy) costs USD5451 for travel beginning in Canada versus USD3506 for travel beginning in Great Britain.

One thing to note, QX (Horizon Air, a subsidiary of AS) offers service YYC-SEA. If you have any interest in visiting Seattle (we really have a lovely city ) you could fly here and buy a train ticket to YVR (quite inexpensive and comfortable). If you stopped over in both Seattle and Vancouver you might be able to fly QX YYC-SEA-YVR and then AS YVR-LAX. I'm not certain how the cabotage restrictions affect tickets like this with multiple stopovers. I can guarantee that you would not be allowed to simply fly YYC-SEA-YVR as a connection.

Last edited by BrewerSEA; Aug 30, 2011 at 4:22 am
Old Aug 30, 2011, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
1) The Oneworld itinerary planner is for planning Oneworld Explorer tickets. On the Oneworld Explorer ticket you would not be allowed to fly non-Oneworld airlines, except for Jetstar operated Qantas marketed flights (NAN-SYD is one option).

The Global Explorer ticket, on the other hand, allows flying on some non-Oneworld airlines. Your YVR-LAX flight would be on Alaska Airlines and your LAX-NAN-HKG flights on Air Pacific. This seems to be your best option.

2) Global Explorer, as explained above.

3) This is certainly possible, but I don't recommend it. The LGLOB29 (the Global Explorer at your mileage level in Economy) costs USD5451 for travel beginning in Canada versus USD3506 for travel beginning in Great Britain.

One thing to note, QX (Horizon Air, a subsidiary of AS) offers service YYC-SEA. If you have any interest in visiting Seattle (we really have a lovely city ) you could fly here and buy a train ticket to YVR (quite inexpensive and comfortable). If you stopped over in both Seattle and Vancouver you might be able to fly QX YYC-SEA-YVR and then AS YVR-LAX. I'm not certain how the cabotage restrictions affect tickets like this with multiple stopovers. I can guarantee that you would not be allowed to simply fly YYC-SEA-YVR as a connection.
Thanks for your quick and very informative response Are the prices you have detailed available online to view, I understand Business RWT tickets are good value and would like to compare?

I'll certainly note Seattle for a future trip, as our planned one is already chocka visiting friends!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
I am BA Silver on OW at the moment but unlikely with my flying patterns to do any flying on BA this year I may do but its totally randon. Hence it is unlikely that my status on BA will be renewed as BA requires 4 flights on their metal for status

I am flying MAD-GVA, and then GVA-HEL-PEK and and then DEL-HEL-LHR on Finnair in Spetember and October, all in business class. I am quite likely to do at elast one GRU-JFK return on AA is business class as well this calendar year Most of my flying is long haul with very occasional european or US domestic segmetns

My question:

Should I just keep clocking up these miles on BA even without status? (AY miles convert to BA only at 125 per cent) Or should I go for another programme in OW where the earn-burn ratio is better/ on which the 4 flight rule does not apply?

Last edited by rathin100; Aug 30, 2011 at 7:53 am
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:06 am

Thanks for your quick and very informative response Are the prices you have detailed available online to view, I understand Business RWT tickets are good value and would like to compare?

I'll certainly note Seattle for a future trip, as our planned one is already chocka visiting friends!
The prices were available online until a few months ago. Now you can call an airline or use a paid service like Expert Flyer or KVS to search it yourself. For your information, I've posted a few of the ex-U.K. prices below. The formatting is a bit difficult to read, but the fares that start with "D" are business class (L and A are economy and first respectively). Global Explorer fares are of the construction *GLOB** where * is the class (L, D or A) and ** is the maximum permitted mileage (in thousands of miles). Oneworld Explorer fares are of the construction *ONE* with the first letter being the class and the last number the number of continents flown (with no mileage limit). Both tickets allow a maximum of 16 segments, including surface segments.

Code:
LCIRAT17       AA       L       Round-Trip      2435.00(USD)      E                                                
LCIRAT21     AA     L      Round-Trip     2796.00(USD)     E                                     
LGLOB26     AA     L      Round-Trip     3035.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LONE3     AA     L      Round-Trip     3035.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LCIRAT25     AA     L      Round-Trip     3445.00(USD)     E                                     
LGLOB29     AA     L      Round-Trip     3496.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LONE4     AA     L      Round-Trip     3496.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LGLOB34     AA     L      Round-Trip     4315.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LONE5     AA     L      Round-Trip     4315.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LGLOB39     AA     L      Round-Trip     5032.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LONE6     AA     L      Round-Trip     5032.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
DCIRAT17     AA     D      Round-Trip     7217.00(USD)     B                                     
DONE3     AA     D      Round-Trip     8189.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
DCIRAT21     AA     D      Round-Trip     8300.00(USD)     B                                     
DGLOB34     AA     D      Round-Trip     9383.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
DONE4     AA     D      Round-Trip     9383.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
DCIRAT25     AA     D      Round-Trip     9473.00(USD)     B                                     
DONE5     AA     D      Round-Trip     10748.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
DONE6     AA     D      Round-Trip     11857.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
ACIRAT17     AA     A      Round-Trip     12271.00(USD)     F                                     
ACIRAT21     AA     A      Round-Trip     14075.00(USD)     F                                     
AONE3     AA     A      Round-Trip     14843.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M                   
ACIRAT25     AA     A      Round-Trip     15880.00(USD)     F                                     
AGLOB34     AA     A      Round-Trip     16976.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M                   
AONE4     AA     A      Round-Trip     16976.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M                   
AONE5     AA     A      Round-Trip     19178.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M                   
AONE6     AA     A      Round-Trip     21413.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M
A relatively easy destination to get to that is much cheaper for premium cabin *GLOB** and *ONE* is Egypt:

Code:
LCIRAT17       AA       L       Round-Trip      2734.00(USD)      E                                                
LGLOB26     AA     L      Round-Trip     2754.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LONE3     AA     L      Round-Trip     2754.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LCIRAT21     AA     L      Round-Trip     3122.00(USD)     E                                     
LGLOB29     AA     L      Round-Trip     3157.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LONE4     AA     L      Round-Trip     3157.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LCIRAT25     AA     L      Round-Trip     3658.00(USD)     E                                     
LGLOB34     AA     L      Round-Trip     3695.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LONE5     AA     L      Round-Trip     3695.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LGLOB39     AA     L      Round-Trip     4384.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LONE6     AA     L      Round-Trip     4384.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
DONE3     AA     D      Round-Trip     6130.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
DCIRAT17     AA     D      Round-Trip     6411.00(USD)     B                                     
DGLOB34     AA     D      Round-Trip     6869.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
DONE4     AA     D      Round-Trip     6869.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
DCIRAT21     AA     D      Round-Trip     7187.00(USD)     B                                     
DONE5     AA     D      Round-Trip     8078.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
DCIRAT25     AA     D      Round-Trip     8443.00(USD)     B                                     
AONE3     AA     A      Round-Trip     8566.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M                   
ACIRAT17     AA     A      Round-Trip     8757.00(USD)     F                                     
DONE6     AA     D      Round-Trip     9153.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
AGLOB34     AA     A      Round-Trip     10329.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M                   
AONE4     AA     A      Round-Trip     10329.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M                   
ACIRAT21     AA     A      Round-Trip     10568.00(USD)     F                                     
AONE5     AA     A      Round-Trip     12093.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M                   
ACIRAT25     AA     A      Round-Trip     12378.00(USD)     F                                     
AONE6     AA     A      Round-Trip     14108.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M
I believe the cheapest fares are currently in Sudan, if you want to go to the effort to start out there.

Code:
LGLOB26       AA       L       Round-Trip      2201.00(USD)      E                    10 / 12M                           
LONE3     AA     L      Round-Trip     2201.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LGLOB29     AA     L      Round-Trip     2537.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LONE4     AA     L      Round-Trip     2537.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LGLOB34     AA     L      Round-Trip     2948.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LONE5     AA     L      Round-Trip     2948.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LGLOB39     AA     L      Round-Trip     3507.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
LONE6     AA     L      Round-Trip     3507.00(USD)     E                 10 / 12M                   
DONE3     AA     D      Round-Trip     4739.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
DGLOB34     AA     D      Round-Trip     5485.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
DONE4     AA     D      Round-Trip     5485.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
DONE5     AA     D      Round-Trip     6455.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
AONE3     AA     A      Round-Trip     6642.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M                   
DONE6     AA     D      Round-Trip     7313.00(USD)     B                 10 / 12M                   
AGLOB34     AA     A      Round-Trip     7612.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M                   
AONE4     AA     A      Round-Trip     7612.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M                   
AONE5     AA     A      Round-Trip     8918.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M                   
AONE6     AA     A      Round-Trip     9888.00(USD)     F                 10 / 12M
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:04 am

Which program?

Hello All,

I am a committed *A flyer, who also runs a SkyTeam account because AF/KL are the biggest airline at my local airport. oneworld don't even fly from my airport.

Nevertheless, over the next couple of years I will have to fly oneworld for work on a couple of occasions (and on different airlines). I will never achieve status, but would be sorry to just throw away the miles.

Bearing this in mind, could anyone suggest a suitable OW program for me to join? Most attractive features would probably be long expiry date on the miles and cheap redemption rates. I'm UK-based, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Weean.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Weean
Hello All,

I am a committed *A flyer, who also runs a SkyTeam account because AF/KL are the biggest airline at my local airport. oneworld don't even fly from my airport.

Nevertheless, over the next couple of years I will have to fly oneworld for work on a couple of occasions (and on different airlines). I will never achieve status, but would be sorry to just throw away the miles.

Bearing this in mind, could anyone suggest a suitable OW program for me to join? Most attractive features would probably be long expiry date on the miles and cheap redemption rates. I'm UK-based, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Weean.
American Airlines AAdvantage is generally considered to have the best earn/burn rates in OW, but it really depends on where you are flying. I would look at the earn/burn rates for both AA and BA based on the airlines/classes you expect to fly and where you hope to redeem your miles. AA miles do not expire as long as there is account activity every 18 months, which can be as insignificant as purchasing a song on iTunes through the AAdvantage eShopping Mall or donating miles.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:53 am

Apologies in advance for my ignorance on these issues...We are trying to figure out the best way to maximize our points (and dollars) on the following itinerary for early June 2012 honeymoon:

Business (or 1st) to San Diego (or LAX)->Bali->Singapore->Hong Kong (we are flexible on the order of the cities)

We each have 105,000 BA miles
I have 195,000 AA miles/he has 35,000
also 70,000 Starwood points

It looks like the best itinerary for this trip is on Cathay Pacific but that we may need to book the Bali-Singapore flight separately (Orbitz shows KLM doing this flight?)

(1) Is there a way to combine, for instance, BA miles and AA miles to book this trip? If so, how?

(2) Is there a way to check award availability anywhere? Or are we left to the mercy of whoever answers the phone at Cathay Pacific?

(3) Any tips on how to book this using minimum miles? We are also willing to pay for the trip and use miles to upgrade, but it appears you can't do that using AA or BA miles...correct?

A million thanks in advance.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:22 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Weean
Hello All,

Thanks,
Weean.
Not at all intuitive, but you might have a look at the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan - http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan.aspx - which allows earn/burn on most of the Oneworld airlines as well as KL/AF/DL/KE with Skyteam. It's generally regarded as one of the better FF plans, although they still only offer round trip/return awards; plus one can only use one partner (plus AS) per award itinerary. However they do offer return redemptions intra-Europe on KL/AF, so that might be of interest as well.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FranklinMonty
It looks like the best itinerary for this trip is on Cathay Pacific but that we may need to book the Bali-Singapore flight separately (Orbitz shows KLM doing this flight?)

(2) Is there a way to check award availability anywhere? Or are we left to the mercy of whoever answers the phone at Cathay Pacific?
If you're using AA miles (I don't know anything about BAEC), you can book the QF codeshare on the JQ-operated DPS -> SIN flight.

If you're using AA miles, you have to call AA, regardless of which airline you're flying.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
The prices were available online until a few months ago. Now you can call an airline or use a paid service like Expert Flyer or KVS to search it yourself. For your information, I've posted a few of the ex-U.K. prices below. The formatting is a bit difficult to read, but the fares that start with "D" are business class (L and A are economy and first respectively). Global Explorer fares are of the construction *GLOB** where * is the class (L, D or A) and ** is the maximum permitted mileage (in thousands of miles). Oneworld Explorer fares are of the construction *ONE* with the first letter being the class and the last number the number of continents flown (with no mileage limit). Both tickets allow a maximum of 16 segments, including surface segments.

[/CODE]
Fantastic, many thanks for finding that info for me
Old Sep 2, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Plat, Marriott Plat
Dallas to Australia - direct etc - three questions

Hi there. Im new to this forum, im a longterm exec platinum on american and have a couple of questions:

1) Is there any advantage when travelling on qantas direct being an AA exec plat? in terms of vip upgrades etc? I want to use their new service ex dfw to australia, but i fear Ill be starting out at ground zero.... I have some new business down there and will be travelling quite a bit betrween Dallas and Sydney.

2) Whats the best website or option to find low cost fares when you have a lot of flexibility on travel dates? For example, I need to make a trip from dfw to sydney in october, early nov, but dont really care when?

3) I have a business trip that needs to do DFW to Australia but also hit a few Asian countries....seems like when I build a ticket online, it costs an arm and a leg, are there any specials with oneworld that are worth it? I heard about some packaged tickets, but before I dive into that, wondered if anyone feels they are good value?

thanks!! I have about 50 otyher questions, but will search more in depth on here to not waste peoples time,
Old Sep 2, 2011, 5:50 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by dunkie26
Hi there. Im new to this forum, im a longterm exec platinum on american and have a couple of questions:

1) Is there any advantage when travelling on qantas direct being an AA exec plat? in terms of vip upgrades etc? I want to use their new service ex dfw to australia, but i fear Ill be starting out at ground zero.... I have some new business down there and will be travelling quite a bit betrween Dallas and Sydney.

2) Whats the best website or option to find low cost fares when you have a lot of flexibility on travel dates? For example, I need to make a trip from dfw to sydney in october, early nov, but dont really care when?

3) I have a business trip that needs to do DFW to Australia but also hit a few Asian countries....seems like when I build a ticket online, it costs an arm and a leg, are there any specials with oneworld that are worth it? I heard about some packaged tickets, but before I dive into that, wondered if anyone feels they are good value?

thanks!! I have about 50 otyher questions, but will search more in depth on here to not waste peoples time,
1. AA upgrade instruments are only valid on AA metal; Qantas won't give you special perks (in my experience, anyway) because of your AA status. Of course as an EXP you'll have access to Qantas' marvelous lounges at SYD, so that's one benefit.

2. Many of us use ITA to find good fares, and one can easily do a month-long search. It's a good website with which to gain fluency.

3. Oneworld's Circle Pacific products can be decent bargains compared to point-to-point itineraries, especially if you're flying in premium cabins. You can also use round-the-world fares to visit both Oz and Asia in the same itinerary; if purchased in certain countries (again, using premium cabins) the savings can be quite significant. Have a look at the various "sticky" threads here, and look at the various RTW and multi-continent products offered on www.oneworld.com - to see what might work for you.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:49 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by dunkie26

1) Nothing special same as a QF Platinum traveling on AA. Actually, same as a QF Platinum traveling on QF. I have never received a free upgrade on an international flight. Also be aware that the DFW-SYD flight stops in BNE and had irregular stops at other airport for refueling in the past. Flying via LAX on the A380 is more comfortable in any class.

2) Which class? Economy? Business?

3) Gardyloo has answered this already.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I am a newbie looking at OneWorld Explorer and Global Explorer. We are BA Exec club members with about 100,000 miles to play with,....
You understand that those particular tix are cash revenue fares and not mileage redemptions, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.