Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by soonerdiva
If we are booked in Business class from LGW to MAL on BA. What class seats does that equal...Club World Class or World Traveler Plus Class? Thanks!
If by LGW-MAL, you mean Male, as in LGW-MLE, then in business class you would be flying in Club World.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...penxtype=click
Old Nov 6, 2010, 8:14 am

purchasing miles, etc

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
No, if she's 11 at the time of ticketing, she'll get the discount.

1. Prices go up once or twice a year; you'd be gambling a little to wait beyond a few weeks. We use www.insuremytrip.com when looking at trip insurance - you can evaluate numerous alternatives. Remember too that the RTW tickets carry somewhat less draconian cancellation clauses than other tickets - 10% of value penalty for economy tickets IIRC. On a year's exploration frankly the air tickets are not your biggest cost center/liability.

2. This is a common problem; the solution is to book all the dates to fit within the available window - i.e. use "dummy" dates, then change the dates as the 330-day "window" rolls along. The only time this is an issue is when routes are seasonal and the segment "doesn't exist" in the reservations systems. This doesn't appear to affect you; your routes are year-round.

For the Peru gambit, you're right in that two one-way tickets are usually much more than a round trip; however for round trips with 6 months or more elapsing between the outbound and return flights, the prices tend to be very close to the two one-ways. Right now, one-way tickets from YYC to LIM are in the $700 - $800 range (US).

What you might do in this case is to purchase AA miles, then redeem them for one-way award flights. AA requires 17,500 miles for a one-way award using any of their partners (e.g. Alaska Airlines to San Francisco, then Lan to Lima, or AA to Miami then Lima, etc.) You can buy 18,000 miles from aa.com for $450 - and through this month you get 33% bonus (so you'd get 24K miles for the same price). Then just turn around and redeem them for your chosen dates, or close to them. As a rule, economy awards to places like Lima are not terribly difficult to obtain; just stay away from holiday weekends etc. Then when you're done, you can redeem more miles for the trip home.

It's often a cheap way to do one-way trips when the published fares are very high. People doing one-way transatlantic cruises do this all the time.
I have been working on getting a AAdvantage Visa to book our tickets on. I also tried the Spanish code HIS10 when I opened my new AAdvantage Account (not sure that this worked). My plan is to follow your advice and purchase the tickets to Peru on AA miles.

Thank you everyone for your help with our tickets. What a great group of people you are in this forum!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
First, a big thank you for creating this newbie lounge. I need the advice of experts in getting started with putting a trip together for next year, and I am filled with stupid questions.

My husband and I are planning to spend some time in Asia in July. We're thinking of the following:
- starting in JFK
- a few days in Bangkok
- 7 days in Koh Samui (thanks to a jetsetter.com promo at the Banyan Tree, this is the only thing we have actually booked so far)
-following that we would like to spend a few days in Tokyo and Tokyo Disneyland
- returning home to JFK

We would like to redeem AA miles for F tickets for as much of the journey as possible, especially the longer flights. We're both AA Plat/ OW Sapphire, if that matters any. We've started playing around with the One World schedules.

My two biggest questions:
1.What type of award ticket am I looking for? One World Explorer?

2.Any suggestions as to the best routings we should try for? CX to Bangkok via Hong Kong? I know AA has a NRT-JFK flight - but should we go for a different OW carrier?

This trip is way out of my usual experience, so I thank you for allowing me to reach out and get help without being completely humiliated.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MoonPet
First, a big thank you for creating this newbie lounge. I need the advice of experts in getting started with putting a trip together for next year, and I am filled with stupid questions.

My husband and I are planning to spend some time in Asia in July. We're thinking of the following:
- starting in JFK
- a few days in Bangkok
- 7 days in Koh Samui (thanks to a jetsetter.com promo at the Banyan Tree, this is the only thing we have actually booked so far)
-following that we would like to spend a few days in Tokyo and Tokyo Disneyland
- returning home to JFK

We would like to redeem AA miles for F tickets for as much of the journey as possible, especially the longer flights. We're both AA Plat/ OW Sapphire, if that matters any. We've started playing around with the One World schedules.

My two biggest questions:
1.What type of award ticket am I looking for? One World Explorer?

2.Any suggestions as to the best routings we should try for? CX to Bangkok via Hong Kong? I know AA has a NRT-JFK flight - but should we go for a different OW carrier?

This trip is way out of my usual experience, so I thank you for allowing me to reach out and get help without being completely humiliated.
A oneworld explorer is a paid ticket. It sounds like you might be considering a oneworld award with your aa miles.
The following thread on the aa forum has info on those awards:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-awards.html
Here is the info about those awards from aa.com:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...s/oneWorld.jsp
Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
A oneworld explorer is a paid ticket. It sounds like you might be considering a oneworld award with your aa miles.
The following thread on the aa forum has info on those awards:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-awards.html
Here is the info about those awards from aa.com:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...s/oneWorld.jsp
Yes, we want to use our AA miles for a OW award.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
If you are considering using AA miles for your flights, you will probably get much better information from the very friendly American Airlines forum - some of us here in the OW forum know a thing or two about AA awards, but the real experts live over there.

Dave
Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then you need to read the first post in that thread I linked:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/4070373-post1.html
The author of that post updates it regularly with the rules for aa oneworld awards. Basically you need to use 2 OW carriers other than AA. The total countable trip miles will determine how many miles you will be redeeming.
When determining the "total countable trip miles" of an itinerary, the only relevant cities are the originating city, the stopover cities, and the city in which the itinerary ends.
There are other rules about the maximum number of segments(16), connecting thru cities, and stopovers.
Review post 1 in the oneworld awards thread and the aa.com link and then post a proposed routing in the oneworld awards thread and people will assist you. Good luck.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:42 pm

Yes, I am currently reading that thread now.
Thanks for getting me started.
It won't be long before we put an itinerary together and submit it to the forum for help.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:50 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Yes, I am currently reading that thread now.
Thanks for getting me started.
It won't be long before we put an itinerary together and submit it to the forum for help.
This map might help you also to find out which OW flights go from where do where. A good tool to reaserch a possible routing:

http://www.innovata-llc.com/onw/default.asp?show=MAP

You will find that no OW airline flies to Koh Samui so either AA has another partner airline outside OW or you will just book a quick paid flight from BKK to Koh Samui.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
No, if she's 11 at the time of ticketing, she'll get the discount.
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that it was at the date of the first flight, not of ticketing (which could, in principle, lead to someone flying on a child fare up until the day before their 14th birthday).
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: Qantas, AA, United, Amex Platinum
Qantas Vs. BA (Vs. AA) (Lifetime status?)

I've booked a OneWorld explorer RTW ticket in A, and am trying to figure out which program to put those miles into. My top three choices in order are QFF, BA Exec, and AAdvantage.

Some questions:

-Which airlines offer double points AND double status credits?
-Which airlines offer some sort of life-time status (is one easier to reach, does one provide better benefits?)

-Do some of the OW airlines make it easier to book on other OW airlines? More seats available? Fewer miles required to book?

-Is there a QFF credit card I can use as a resident of the US?

Objectives:
I would like to use my points to upgrade to biz on flights from the US (NYC) to Australia, Japan, and Europe (and my interest is in that order). While I am obsessed with business and first class, I see it as a waste on a flight less than 8 hours/non-red eyes. I also don't really care about lounges and lounge access.

From what I've read, savvy OWers are AAdvantage members because they can earn the most points this way. Is this true if my main goal is to be able to fly to Australia lying down? And maybe Japan or Europe too?

Thanks for any insights and advice!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:28 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
First, welcome to FT!

No one program is going to give you everything you want.

As a general rule, upgrading on one airline's flights using miles from another airline's program is a non-starter. Recent changes in the AA/BA/Iberia arrangements now allow for this; however the only fares that can be upgraded on partner metal are basically "full-fare" - Y and B fares, or J/D in business class, i.e. the most expensive buckets.

AA doesn't fly to Australia, so using AA miles to upgrade isn't possible. Europe and Japan are, of course, much easier since there are numerous AA flights in both directions.

And using AA miles to redeem for award seats is possible, of course, and therein lies a significant consideration. In general (and as always with generalities, there are plenty of caveats) mileage accrual on AA is more generous, and redemption requirements generally lower, than other programs. So while you couldn't upgrade on Qantas to Oz, you'd be able to redeem fewer miles for a business/first class ticket.

An AONEx ought to give you enough miles/points/tier points/status credits to achieve at least Oneworld Sapphire status, at which point mileage bonuses will kick in. In general, AA's elite bonuses (100% for Sapphire and Emerald) are earned on more partners than the case with either BA or QF. If your travel is a combination of domestic and foreign travel, you'll probably earn miles faster using AA than either of the other two. In addition, if your AONEx entails some flights on AA (and better, if they're at the beginning of the trip) then you could "challenge" to AA Platinum (OW Sapphire) and start earning elite bonuses much sooner than if you wait until you've attained Sapphire status through BA tier points of QFF status credits.

As for double EQM/SCs/TPs, as far as I know these are relatively rare occurrences, and always time-limited. I wouldn't count on them as a key decision-making element.

AA still offers lifetime status (Ruby/Gold for 1MM, Sapphire/Plat for 2MM.) I believe both QFF and BAEC have similar schemes, but will rely on others to spell out the conditions. Worth noting is that AA counts all miles, including credit cards, purchased miles, gifted miles, etc. Not sure the others are so generous.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: Qantas, AA, United, Amex Platinum
AA/Qantas award seats

Thanks Gardyloo--that's very helpful.

I understand that I can't upgrade using AA miles on Qantas, but would it be as easy to book an award seat with AA miles as it would with Qantas? I imagine that Qantas would limit the number of seats that could be booked using AA miles.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:47 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Gandara
Thanks Gardyloo--that's very helpful.

I understand that I can't upgrade using AA miles on Qantas, but would it be as easy to book an award seat with AA miles as it would with Qantas? I imagine that Qantas would limit the number of seats that could be booked using AA miles.
I've never encountered a case where a seat shown as available for QFF member redemption wasn't available for AA members. The only difference (and it can be a very important one) is that Qantas makes redemption seats available to its own members a month earlier than AA members can claim them. Thus seats in peak periods (during which they don't release many seats anyway) tend to be closed out to AA members, since the QFF people have snapped them up first.

The advent of the A380s on the LAX routes seems to have loosened up QF availability from the US a little lately; it's now quite feasible to get J seats (at least to Auckland) with comparatively little lead time, also on some SYD or MEL flights. But it's never easy, especially in peak periods, like I say. And of course with the A380 situation at the moment, it's anybody's guess what havoc that's creating with award inventory.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Gandara
I've booked a OneWorld explorer RTW ticket in A, and am trying to figure out which program to put those miles into. My top three choices in order are QFF, BA Exec, and AAdvantage.

Some questions:

-Which airlines offer double points AND double status credits?
-Which airlines offer some sort of life-time status (is one easier to reach, does one provide better benefits?)

-Do some of the OW airlines make it easier to book on other OW airlines? More seats available? Fewer miles required to book?

-Is there a QFF credit card I can use as a resident of the US?

Objectives:
I would like to use my points to upgrade to biz on flights from the US (NYC) to Australia, Japan, and Europe (and my interest is in that order). While I am obsessed with business and first class, I see it as a waste on a flight less than 8 hours/non-red eyes. I also don't really care about lounges and lounge access.

From what I've read, savvy OWers are AAdvantage members because they can earn the most points this way. Is this true if my main goal is to be able to fly to Australia lying down? And maybe Japan or Europe too?

Thanks for any insights and advice!
Welcome to FT, Gandara and congratulations on buying a F RTW!

The first thing to know is that both BAEC and QFF require you to fly 4 segments per year on that carrier. So only if you fly QF or BA regularly will it make sense to join their program.
AA has the same rule but doesn't enforce it which is one of the reasons many people chose AA. Also, AA has a very good earn/burn rate. While you can't do upgrades on QF, you can get an award seat for similar miles as QF requires for an upgrade using QFF.

By the way, after your RTW you will most probably re-think the fact that lounges are not important. Once you have used the spectacular QF FLounge in SYD or the CX lounges in HKG or the Concord Room at LHR T5 you will see that this is a very important part of the journey.

AA lifetime status requires 2MM miles (which can also come from Credit Cards etc). QF has a lifetime status after 14000 SCs which can be done in 5-6 maxed out RTW in A or 7 DONE4s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.