Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:58 pm

How many times I can change DATE for DONEx booked from AA? My segment includes QR flight. QR shows D fare can only change twice without charge.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by slhu82
How many times I can change DATE for DONEx booked from AA? My segment includes QR flight. QR shows D fare can only change twice without charge.
That table does not apply.
pandaperth likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Jerry's right (as usual, -- he's one of the more experienced xONEx people here). Judging from the font and color, I'd say that this table is from QR. It applies to point-to-point tickets sold and marketed by QR.

On a DONEx ticket issued by AA, changes of date and itinerary depend on when you want to make the change and what you want to change, i.e., Before the first flight? After the first flight? Change itinerary, -- Changes to cities? Continents?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Help with optimizing BA tier points and status traveling from USA to Australia

Originally Posted by cocoabean28
Finally getting to seriously travel since before the pandemic. I'm traveling with SO and we now have a 4 yr old. In May we are planning travel from NYC to SYD and right now the cheapest fairs are on AA metal. We always credit this to BA (we fly BA to Europe and Asia) and are looking for tips to optimize tier points to climb back to silver after dropping to blue this year. I've seen a lot of articles out there with cheap cash upgrades on AA flights (https://viewfromthewing.com/american...onal-upgrades/, https://onemileatatime.com/guides/am..._paid_upgrades), especially long haul. Right now the round trip is ~1400 USD in economy and ~3000 USD in premium economy. There is also a flight options on Qantas, but I'm unfamiliar with the upgrade process with Qantas.

My questions are the following:
1. If we book in economy and hopefully score one of these offers, does this confer upgraded tier points in BAEC? The second article linked above says no, but I want to ask people's experience.
2. Any experience with upgrades on Qantas to optimize tier points for BAEC?
3. Do you have any suggestions about how to maximize this long trip for tier points (upcoming sales etc)?
When upgrading with ff miles/avios/points flights credit as per original paid booking class. Have not read of any airline do different, but may be some.

The chances of 3 upgrades USA<--->AU are very low. A popular route for AA freq flyers to upgrade with SWU or AA ff miles/cash co payment.

QF upgrades are a lottery.
QF forum thread--> Bid Now Upgrade Success Stories
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/manage-...g/upgrade.html
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/manage-...w-upgrade.html

OW with AA & QF are trialling a cross airline upgrade scheme. But you are BAEC people.
Oneworld alliance-wide upgrades

To maximise BAEC tier points need to change flights(flight numbers) on the trip. Can come at a cost and more travel time
QF flys JFK-(AKL)-SYD as one flight number, so poor for BAEC TP collection. Will be priced at a premium.
AA will be NYC-LAX-SYD, so more flight numbers.
If you fly say NYC-SFO/LAX/DFW-MEL/BNE then on to SYD will get/may get more BAEC TP.
  • American Airlines AA LAX-SYD. DFW-BNE from 27 Oct 2024 - Mar 2025(new route) [OneWorld Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ LAX SFO HNL YVR– NAN - BNE SYD CBR MEL ADL. (OneWorld Alliance connect.)
  • Qantas QF LAX SFO DFW HNL YVR* - SYD; LAX - BNE; LAX DFW - MEL. {* seasonal}. SYD-AKL-JFK from 14 June 2023. [OneWorld Alliance]
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Thanks. Another question if my current booking is SCL -> xMIA -> LAX. If my origin and destination are same, can I just change the flight to SCL -> xDFW -> LAX without $125 charge after my first flight? Similar for SAW -> DOH to IST -> DOH?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Jerry's right (as usual, -- he's one of the more experienced xONEx people here). Judging from the font and color, I'd say that this table is from QR. It applies to point-to-point tickets sold and marketed by QR.

On a DONEx ticket issued by AA, changes of date and itinerary depend on when you want to make the change and what you want to change, i.e., Before the first flight? After the first flight? Change itinerary, -- Changes to cities? Continents?
If only change date, does it matter before the first flight or after the first flight?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your questions are better asked in one of the dedicated RTW *ONE* threads
Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Thanks. Another question if my current booking is SCL -> xMIA -> LAX. If my origin and destination are same, can I just change the flight to SCL -> xDFW -> LAX without $125 charge after my first flight? Similar for SAW -> DOH to IST -> DOH?
OW does not define origin and destination like that. Every sector has an origin and a destination. That, for you, some are transit and others a stopover (>24hrs) is generally irrelevant to the RTW rules. But, as the rules, must have some stopovers. So a change of route (,e.g. MIA to DFW) will invoke the $125 fee and a recalculation of real taxes and carrier surcharges. These will vary with route.
If only change date, does it matter before the first flight or after the first flight?
Can do. Do you want to change the date of the first flight?
Look in the other *ONE* threads.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 5:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
OW does not define origin and destination like that. Every sector has an origin and a destination. That, for you, some are transit and others a stopover (>24hrs) is generally irrelevant to the RTW rules. But, as the rules, must have some stopovers. So a change of route (,e.g. MIA to DFW) will invoke the $125 fee and a recalculation of real taxes and carrier surcharges. These will vary with route.
I think that is at the discretion and interpretation of the issuing airline. I know that slhu82 is ticketed by AA, so they're likely to stick to the letter of the law per se and charge the $125 fee, but CX did not charge me on a recent change doing something similar. I changed MNL-xHKG-TYO (HND) to MNL-xKUL-TYO (NRT) and they did not charge me. I also changed a DOH transit to a stopover at the same time and they also didn't charge me. So I'd say "it depends", expect to pay the $125 fee (I certainly was expecting to) but you might get lucky.

@ slhu82, if you do get a chance to make that change, do it. DFW is a million times more pleasant of an arrival experience into the US than MIA. Most of the time I'm though immigration at DFW in 10 minutes or less. You're not going to get that at MIA, it's an absolute zoo.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 5:22 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by dvs7310
CX did not charge me on a recent change doing something similar. I changed MNL-xHKG-TYO (HND) to MNL-xKUL-TYO (NRT) and they did not charge me. I also changed a DOH transit to a stopover at the same time and they also didn't charge me. So I'd say "it depends", expect to pay the $125 fee (I certainly was expecting to) but you might get lucky.
Note you are also charged or refunded any changes in taxes/surcharges. This can reduce the $125 charged though never below $0. I think MH charge less yq/yr than CX, especially on transits, so I suspect you were charged a $125 admin fee but this was more than offset by a reduction in yq/qr. Hence the overall charge was 0.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 5:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by zoombee
Note you are also charged or refunded any changes in taxes/surcharges. This can reduce the $125 charged though never below $0. I think MH charge less yq/yr than CX, especially on transits, so I suspect you were charged a $125 admin fee but this was more than offset by a reduction in yq/qr. Hence the overall charge was 0.
There's no YQ on ex-TYO tickets and YR is pretty minimal, the new itinerary is MH / JL, as opposed to all CX on the old, JL's fees tend to be similar to CX's. HKG has some airport taxes for transit that KUL doesn't, but it's not $125 worth. I'm pretty sure they just interpreted it as the start and end points were the same and waived the fee.

Actually just double checked and compared my original ticket to the new one with the change in routing, my total YR on the new and original ticket is exactly the same, 50,490 JPY. They also didn't remove the HKG taxes, but I don't care because it's still far less than $125.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 5:48 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by dvs7310
There's no YQ on ex-TYO tickets
Ah, I'd missed that this is ex TYO.

I'm pretty sure they just interpreted it as the start and end points were the same and waived the fee.
Seems so! Nice bonus.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 6:48 am

Programs: AA
I feel kinda stupid to ask this but it seems like no clear rule after reading some posts about change fees, so please bear with me. So I booked a ticket with QF, and assuming I take the first leg and want to change. I am curious about the fees associated with it.
1. Simple date change without changing routes or airlines: Do I have to pay 125USD? Technically, this should not trigger the repricing even before the first leg, correct?
2. Changing the airlines on the same route such as from BA to AA on LON-JFK. Do I pay 125? also I am guessing fuel charges will be adjusted, so there could be an increase or decrease in 125?
3. Changing the transit point without changing the start and end, such from transit in HKG with CX, change the ticket to direct with JL on TYO-LON route. I understand some airlines charge 125, some do not, is that correct? Will it create repricing after the first leg? Either way, the fuel and tax charges will be adjusted if I understand correctly. What if I don't pay the fee and the taxes go down? Will I get a refund?
4. Changing either start or end point of a flight within the rule limit. Ex: change TYO-LON to TYO-PAR. My understanding is that will incur 125 for sure but how about repricing?
5. Changing from Y to J. Suppose Z or D class was not available at the time of booking and the online platform gives only economy class. After the first leg, let's say D becomes available. If I upgrade to D from Y, do I have to pay the fare difference? I am talking about just one leg of the entire RTW ticket.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by sony2012
I feel kinda stupid to ask this but it seems like no clear rule after reading some posts about change fees, so please bear with me. So I booked a ticket with QF, and assuming I take the first leg and want to change. I am curious about the fees associated with it.
1. Simple date change without changing routes or airlines: Do I have to pay 125USD? Technically, this should not trigger the repricing even before the first leg, correct?
2. Changing the airlines on the same route such as from BA to AA on LON-JFK. Do I pay 125? also I am guessing fuel charges will be adjusted, so there could be an increase or decrease in 125?
3. Changing the transit point without changing the start and end, such from transit in HKG with CX, change the ticket to direct with JL on TYO-LON route. I understand some airlines charge 125, some do not, is that correct? Will it create repricing after the first leg? Either way, the fuel and tax charges will be adjusted if I understand correctly. What if I don't pay the fee and the taxes go down? Will I get a refund?
4. Changing either start or end point of a flight within the rule limit. Ex: change TYO-LON to TYO-PAR. My understanding is that will incur 125 for sure but how about repricing?
5. Changing from Y to J. Suppose Z or D class was not available at the time of booking and the online platform gives only economy class. After the first leg, let's say D becomes available. If I upgrade to D from Y, do I have to pay the fare difference? I am talking about just one leg of the entire RTW ticket.
1. Based on recent dp, QF charges 125 for everything including date change

call them once and make all changes together
Old Apr 12, 2024, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Your questions are better asked in one of the dedicated RTW *ONE* threads
Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Look in the other *ONE* threads.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 12, 2024 at 11:31 pm
Old Apr 12, 2024, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
1) It would likely retrigger repricing before the first leg. AA wouldn't charge you the $125 typically, but QF might.
2) Most likely yes. Fuel charges would come into play.
3) This would be a $125 charge either way. You could theoretically get a refund, although unlikely.
4) After the first leg is flown, this would incur $125 fee, but no repricing.
5) This would be a change to the ticked and qualify for the $125 fee, but no fare difference.
sony2012 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.