Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Privileges with Emerald?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2010, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
Luggage Privileges with Emerald?

I am Diamond (emerald) on CX and will be flying economy to Europe. One leg will be flying ZRH-LHR. Last time I did this flight I was sapphire and had to repack two bags into one at the check-in to avoid excess charges. With the higher tier do you get any luggage privileges on BA or should I just try and pack one bag?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:41 pm

No luggage benefits at all - very disappointing since Star is fairly generous for their status passengers across all member airlines.

Last edited by Unterwegs; Oct 12, 2010 at 5:21 am
Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I have found as OW Emerald, check-in agents are more likely to look the other way if I am over the baggage limit. I usually travel with 1 20kg and 1 10-15kg bag on Y tickets, and I would say that on non-AA OW flights I am only hit for the excess baggage fee ~30% of the time. However, it is not a published benefit and they can and do charge the excess.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
No luugage benefits at all - very disappointing since Star is fairly generous for their status passengers across all member airlines.
I assume you entire itinerary is in Economy.

You'll probably need to rely on luck unless your fare basis permits additional checked baggage.

e.g. LONEx's and other oneworld products allow a minimum of 2 x 23 Kg of checked luggage per passenger for any segment.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:33 pm
Lux

BA have a (I think unpublished) benefit for their own Elite FFs that hold luggage can go up to 32kg, but this does NOT apply to other OW frequent flyers as discussed here at post 2. That poster is a BA employee and knows her stuff, so please don't take it out on her.

It's one piece in economy. You can pay extra during online checkin to boost the weight to 32kg; you may be lucky at the airport and not have to.

That's life - it is economy, after all (and I write as a some time economy flyer).
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Lux
BA have a (I think unpublished) benefit for their own Elite FFs that hold luggage can go up to 32kg, but this does NOT apply to other OW frequent flyers as discussed here at post 2. That poster is a BA employee and knows her stuff, so please don't take it out on her.

It's one piece in economy. You can pay extra during online checkin to boost the weight to 32kg; you may be lucky at the airport and not have to.

That's life - it is economy, after all (and I write as a some time economy flyer).
Actually it is a published benefit, see:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...searchResults#
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...=searchResults
Gold and Silver Executive Club members can carry 2 bags in all cabins, on all routes, unless the cabin allowance is greater. Each bag over 23kg and up to a maximum of 32kg is normally subject to a heavy bag charge which we will waive.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Oct 11, 2010 at 4:59 pm
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Equally QF provides extra allowances to its own elites (both weight and piece)
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...gage/global/en

but again no benefit to other oneworld elites
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ieuan1
I am Diamond (emerald) on CX and will be flying economy to Europe. One leg will be flying ZRH-LHR. Last time I did this flight I was sapphire and had to repack two bags into one at the check-in to avoid excess charges. With the higher tier do you get any luggage privileges on BA or should I just try and pack one bag?
I'm OW Emerald and usually fly F with one verrry heavy bag, way over the limit. Never had an excess charge. Obviously, though, can't tell if it's because of cabin flown or OW status.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm OW Emerald and usually fly F with one verrry heavy bag, way over the limit. Never had an excess charge. Obviously, though, can't tell if it's because of cabin flown or OW status.
Pretty sure not because of your status.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
F has a checked luggage limit of 40kg (88lbs) on flights that don't include the Americas. Unless you're packing bricks in your bag you should be under the limit, especially since it's only one bag.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
F has a checked luggage limit of 40kg (88lbs) on flights that don't include the Americas. Unless you're packing bricks in your bag you should be under the limit, especially since it's only one bag.
Under that limit, though not by much. Most of my flights have one end in the USA.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Under that limit, though not by much. Most of my flights have one end in the USA.
What are you carrying that is so heavy?

With the exception of presentational equipment (which is always more comfortable to send by courier), I can never work out why people take the kitchen sink with them.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Interesting question, and I've thought about it before, too. I'm not actually sure. My trips are usually a bit under three weeks in length, so it's really just lots of clothes, some footwear. I hate doing laundry on trips. And I'm always a little nutty about making sure that I have at least a little of everything. Next trip (mid-January) I'm going to try doing it with less. I never wear even close to all that I take.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveloguy

With the exception of presentational equipment (which is always more comfortable to send by courier), I can never work out why people take the kitchen sink with them.
I can easily max out a piece system allowance with *G benefits. No problems at all.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are you thinking, that this is Star alliance?

No obligation on oneworld members to extend all benefits given to their elites to other oneworld elites, nor any coordinated baggage allowance for elites.

Makes the alliance pretty weak IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.