Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How strict is British Airways about the luggage allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

Officially, its 23kgs (say inside europe); do they allow some leeway in this?
Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Not really. If your bag is over 23kg by 1-2kg we'll ask if you can put any items in your hand luggage (which must still remain able to fit in the gauge) or if you're travelling with another person they may be able to put some things in their case.

We will accept bags up to 32kg with a heavy bag charge of £30 per bag for anything over 23kg.

Edit: If you're travelling in CE you're allowed 2 checked bags and they're allowed to be up to 32kg. You'll also be allowed this extra bag and weight if you're a BAEC Gold or Silver member, but not OW equivalents.

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Sep 18, 2010 at 5:04 pm
Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
You can have a heavier bag but you need to pay for the privilege and for the extra fuel comsumption. The company needs to attempt make a profit after all.

Heavier bags are allowed for BA Gold card holders but then these pax have previously spent a lot of money travelling with BA.

Having said that, BA does allow a 23 kg hand luggage (provided you keep within the right bag dimensions). Now that is very generous compared with any other airline I know of. However you will need to lift the bag by yourself on the overhead lockers or push it under the seat in front. The crew will not do this for you.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by KenJohn
You can have a heavier bag but you need to pay for the privilege and for the extra fuel comsumption. The company needs to attempt make a profit after all.

Heavier bags are allowed for BA Gold card holders but then these pax have previously spent a lot of money travelling with BA.

Having said that, BA does allow a 23 kg hand luggage (provided you keep within the right bag dimensions). Now that is very generous compared with any other airline I know of. However you will need to lift the bag by yourself on the overhead lockers or push it under the seat in front. The crew will not do this for you.
I always thought the fee was for the extra handling of the bag.

It depends how much more we're talking in terms of excess -but BA's allowance is already very generous for intra European flights, and I do think they're clamping down because they need all the extra revenue they can get really.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:29 pm

Programs: not a lot
There is one airline that has an unlimited hand baggage allowance subject to the same terms you mention above.

Believe it or not it's easyJet.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
It depends how much more we're talking in terms of excess.
Not much, 2kgs say.
The problem is that passengers might not always have an accurate scale; so if the home scale says 23kgs, it might be understating it by 2kgs..
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Having said that, BA does allow a 23 kg hand luggage (provided you keep within the right bag dimensions).
Woa, didnt know that :up:
Old Sep 18, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA, BMI
Originally Posted by Gemuse
Not much, 2kgs say.
The problem is that passengers might not always have an accurate scale; so if the home scale says 23kgs, it might be understating it by 2kgs..
Ex-the Americas there is a 2kgs tolerance.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Depends on the agent, really.

A few years back I was travelling SkyEurope (now defunct). Going LTN-BTS my bag was 20.3kg (allowance 20kg) and I was made to pay.
Going the other way, my bag was over 24kg, and the agent either didn't notice or didn't care enough to charge me. ^ (that would have been like $50)
It's the luck of the draw.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:45 pm

I would quite like to see something explicit for F/J/Gold/Silver about the 32kg without surcharge...

I was checking in at NCE this summer, two of us, both on F tickets to EZE, one Gold, one Silver. We had the full six bags between us, and probably three or four were in the 23-32kg range. Not made to pay anything, but the check-in agent told us to be careful as they're not supposed to take anything over 23kg.

I replied as a matter of principal that I thought that up to 32kg was allowed for a GCH flying in First, but she stood her ground that the rules were 23kg, but not to worry as she'd make an exception. Naturally, at that point, it would not have served anyone for me to get into an argument, but I felt that if the 32kg really is something to count on in F/J/GCH/SCH, it would be nice not to be made to think they're doing us a special favor (which we shouldn't count on happening next time) if we've got heavy bags.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 3:11 am

"Free baggage allowances for all flights booked from 7 October 2009

Gold and Silver Executive Club members can carry 2 bags in all cabins, on all routes, unless the cabin allowance is greater. Each bag over 23kg and up to a maximum of 32kg is normally subject to a heavy bag charge which we will waive."

From here
Old Sep 19, 2010, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by LiviLion
There is one airline that has an unlimited hand baggage allowance subject to the same terms you mention above.

True, provided it fits within the baggage gauge (which is not large) and you can lift it. I image if you filled a size-compliant bag with gold bars (or lead bars) and were a professional weightlifter, they may still find a reason not to allow you to lug 100kg on-board. Remember LCCs have to make money too and excess baggage charges are their bread and butter.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 3:49 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Originally Posted by LiviLion

Yes but only one bag.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:34 am

But what about if you are travelling in a group - you area allowed to pool the luggage between all passengers right? As long as the individual bags are under 32kg?

So if I had 28kg and my partner had 18kg (total 26kg), that would be fine. Right?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by JamieT
"Free baggage allowances for all flights booked from 7 October 2009

Gold and Silver Executive Club members can carry 2 bags in all cabins, on all routes, unless the cabin allowance is greater. Each bag over 23kg and up to a maximum of 32kg is normally subject to a heavy bag charge which we will waive."

From here
Thanks! I didn't realize that was published anywhere. I'll print it out and slide it into the side of one of my bags in case this matter comes up again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.