Mexicana files for bankruptcy - info & advice [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:22 am

A commentary from Cranky:

http://crankyflier.com/2010/08/04/me...lems-on-labor/
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:56 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
It would be nice if they'd just explain their plan in detail and openly rather than the media and customers having to guess the nature and structure of this process.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
It would be nice if they'd just explain their plan in detail and openly rather than the media and customers having to guess the nature and structure of this process.
+1
I am flying MEX-LGW in a premium cabin next week and have had no communication from them. I rang them 24 hours ago and after a long wait was told my flight was confirmed. I pointed out that no flights were being loaded for Sept when I am due to return to MEX and was fobbed off.
Now all international flights have been pulled for new booking since 1800 yesterday. Several departed as scheduled this morning, but I wonder how long for.
The last press release says they are looking after their customers but I am not so sure. Will they even be in a position to reschedule us on AAnother AAirline?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by londinense
+1
I am flying MEX-LGW in a premium cabin next week and have had no communication from them. I rang them 24 hours ago and after a long wait was told my flight was confirmed. I pointed out that no flights were being loaded for Sept when I am due to return to MEX and was fobbed off.
Now all international flights have been pulled for new booking since 1800 yesterday. Several departed as scheduled this morning, but I wonder how long for.
The last press release says they are looking after their customers but I am not so sure. Will they even be in a position to reschedule us on AAnother AAirline?
I am concerned as we are flying LAX to MEX next week on an AA code share. Have heard nothing from either carrier. I am slightly more concerned about my later flight from MEX to YVR which is a Mexicana flight. Both are part of a DONE3.

I'll call AA later today as I suspect I'll get more sense out of them. If I hear anything interesting I will report back.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: OZ*G
Man, this really puts a kink in my OW south america redemption.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hsmall
I am concerned as we are flying LAX to MEX next week on an AA code share. Have heard nothing from either carrier.
From AA.com below (which may also be found at this link):

Update On Mexico Codeshare Bookings

Following the Federal Aviation Administration's decision on July 30 to revise the rating of Mexico's civil aviation authority, U.S. airlines are prohibited from offering codeshare service on any Mexican airline. As a result, we are advising our customers who have already purchased an American Airlines codeshare flight operated by Mexicana that they will be re-ticketed as Mexicana passengers on the same itineraries or they have the option to receive a refund for their purchased flight. Mexicana codeshare flights operated by American or American Eagle are not affected by the FAA's decision.
While it may not be the best news, perhaps being aware of it may be of help.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:37 am

HELP- Reservation with Mexicana Airlines in NOV - SJC-GDL

I'm not sure if this is the place for this but I need advice.

I booked 2 one way flights for November. San Jose (SJC) to Guadalajara (GDL) through Mexicana. Then my flight home on Volaris GDL - SJC. Luckilly I didn't choose Mexicana for R/T. I wanted to try out both airlines and I actually saved 10$ and didn't have to fly any red eyes doing it this way.

Now I've found out that Mexicana has filed for Bankruptcy and suspended all sales of flights to and from the US. I'd like some ideas on what I should do. I did opt in for the travel insurance on Mexicana's website. So I'm guessing I will get a refund if they do go under with the insurance company if not the airline. I went with the "Saver" airfare. So I'm not sure how the airline itself handles these situations.

Luckily this has happened with more than enough time to get another 1 way flight to GDL on the same date with another airline at around the same price but do you think I'm just gonna have to eat the cost of the fare? I'm tempted to wait for Volaris's prices to go down again and book my one way with them. It would really suck thoe if I did that only to find out later that Mexicana fixed the problem after I forked over more cash for another flight.

Any opinions on what I should or shouldn't do would be appreciated.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Rather than start a new thread, there's are active discussions on the Mexicana bankruptcy here that may give you some insights:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newss...ket-sales.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...ankruptcy.html
Old Aug 8, 2010, 2:51 pm

Well, feeling a little better about missing the January sfo-cun RT for $234.00.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
MH88,
I think you should ask your Credit Card company to put a hold on it possibly. If possible at all.
Originally Posted by MH88
I'm not sure if this is the place for this but I need advice.

I booked 2 one way flights for November. San Jose (SJC) to Guadalajara (GDL) through Mexicana. Then my flight home on Volaris GDL - SJC. Luckilly I didn't choose Mexicana for R/T. I wanted to try out both airlines and I actually saved 10$ and didn't have to fly any red eyes doing it this way.

Now I've found out that Mexicana has filed for Bankruptcy and suspended all sales of flights to and from the US. I'd like some ideas on what I should do. I did opt in for the travel insurance on Mexicana's website. So I'm guessing I will get a refund if they do go under with the insurance company if not the airline. I went with the "Saver" airfare. So I'm not sure how the airline itself handles these situations.

Luckily this has happened with more than enough time to get another 1 way flight to GDL on the same date with another airline at around the same price but do you think I'm just gonna have to eat the cost of the fare? I'm tempted to wait for Volaris's prices to go down again and book my one way with them. It would really suck thoe if I did that only to find out later that Mexicana fixed the problem after I forked over more cash for another flight.

Any opinions on what I should or shouldn't do would be appreciated.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:28 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by sfosmith
Well, feeling a little better about missing the January sfo-cun RT for $234.00.
Any new thoughts on what to do, got upcoming flight in october MR with mexicana
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:37 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
MH88,
I think you should ask your Credit Card company to put a hold on it possibly. If possible at all.
What good is that gonna do if its the STA deal where we only pd 40$ anyways?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Well folks it looks like things aren't looking too good for this. This is spanish only but still Mexicana could shut down with in 48 hours.
http://eleconomista.com.mx/corporati...rra-deja-volar
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Using bablefish:
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Well folks it looks like things aren't looking too good for this.
The article states that Click and Link will shut down as well. I thought these two were doing well. Why are they closing down with MX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.