Reload this Page >

Malev status match - worth doing?!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malev status match - worth doing?!?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2010, 4:14 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
I re-post my experience because it seems people have the same recurring doubts.

I got matched from LH Senator (Gold *A or Sapphire OW) to MA Duna Gold in few weeks. The new status appeared in 3 weeks in my Duna Web profile while it tooks 5 weeks from my original enquiry to get the physical card.
Just note that's a normal and small envelope (no kits) sent through normal Post service...so you never know what may happen.

By the way, I flew a MA operated flight bought in MA website.

The notice in website and on-board magazine say that you will get matched in the corresponding MA tier including also MA Platinum (but the very first version of this promo late 2009 didn't include Platinum).
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
My position:
> BD Gold
> "Need" a one-world card to get access to the lounge whilst I switch my domestic flights to BA (so lounge on Malev, credit to BA)
> Starting a trip using my BD airmiles, which needs to be in their reward Zone 2 (BUDapest is in their zone 2) to save lots of airmiles.

As such my current thought is: LGW-BUD on a cheap Malev economy ticket (though their website about £100) == one year of one-world lounge access.

> Any flaws with this plan?
> Anyone done this with a single sector?
> Can you get status match prior to the flight just after booking it? (I think not but the language isn't 100% clear on the website around a booking or flown segment)
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices
My position:
> BD Gold
> "Need" a one-world card to get access to the lounge whilst I switch my domestic flights to BA (so lounge on Malev, credit to BA)
> Starting a trip using my BD airmiles, which needs to be in their reward Zone 2 (BUDapest is in their zone 2) to save lots of airmiles.

As such my current thought is: LGW-BUD on a cheap Malev economy ticket (though their website about £100) == one year of one-world lounge access.

> Any flaws with this plan?
> Anyone done this with a single sector?
> Can you get status match prior to the flight just after booking it? (I think not but the language isn't 100% clear on the website around a booking or flown segment)

I am in the same situation as you, although I booked a r/t C flight as it was only £350 out Fri eve and back Sun. I have yet to take the flights but have sent my booking confirmation in and attached my CO Platinum card. I will report back if I hear anything. I did orginally just send in my card before I booked and received a reply saying I need to do a flight after one day. The lack of response in this case makes me think they have granted me the match but may have to wait a few more days before it shows up. My plan is to credit just one sector to Malev and the return to BA, as that will push me to Silver, the hope being that I get Platinum with MA until I get Gold with BA.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 2:08 am

Is it a must to have the points from that one Malev flight flown (purely to qualify for status match purpose) credited to Duna Club? Or is it possible to have that flight credited to another OW frequent flyer program yet be granted the status match?

The rules don't appear to state that the flight must be credited to Duna Club, only that proof of ticket and boarding pass is submitted via email... but can anyone who has successfully been matched please advise?
Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
I am in the same situation as you, although I booked a r/t C flight as it was only £350 out Fri eve and back Sun.
Booked it anyway despite the uncertainties, only a one-way but decided on C to see what its like (which wasn't too much more than an economy flight on my days). I have to wonder that, since the ticket is supposedly completely flexible, whether I could cancel it after being matched... however that is a thought for another day - and as I am intending to take the flight purely theoretical.

Hoping that the card will however arrive by early December when I'll start to fly oneworld on domestic BA when it suits me.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Is it a must to have the points from that one Malev flight flown (purely to qualify for status match purpose) credited to Duna Club? Or is it possible to have that flight credited to another OW frequent flyer program yet be granted the status match?

The rules don't appear to state that the flight must be credited to Duna Club, only that proof of ticket and boarding pass is submitted via email... but can anyone who has successfully been matched please advise?
My qualifying flights were credited to my QF FF account, and I was matched by Malev to Platinum without issue. So hopefully this is not an issue/you should be OK too.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:31 pm

I received an email back on Friday after sending the ticket through earlier this week. Although they have granted me status (not showing in my profile but read earlier it can take a few weeks) they only matched my CO Platinum to Gold stating that this promotion only allows matching up to Gold. I.e. my impression is that they realise I was a level above what they are providing to me now but that the terms have been defined. Not particularly happy with that as crediting this to BA would push me to Silver giving me the same benefits.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:49 am

I got an answer to my questions today around whether you have to take the flight, or just buy it;

Originally Posted by Malev
Dear littlevoices,

Thank you very much for your email addressed to the Malév Service Centre.

With regards to your request, we would like to inform you that the Malev trip
has to be completed in order to participate in the tier match promotion, so
please apply again once the trip is completed in November.

Thank you very much for your kind co-operation.
We look forward to seeing you onboard our Malév flights soon.

Yours sincerely,

Malev Service Center
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
I received an email back on Friday after sending the ticket through earlier this week. Although they have granted me status (not showing in my profile but read earlier it can take a few weeks) they only matched my CO Platinum to Gold stating that this promotion only allows matching up to Gold. I.e. my impression is that they realise I was a level above what they are providing to me now but that the terms have been defined. Not particularly happy with that as crediting this to BA would push me to Silver giving me the same benefits.
Just to go full circle on my above posts.

+ They sent me an email saying reservation was not enough, I needed to fly a segment first
+ Replied saying I would like to be withdrawn from this match as I would make BA Silver with the same flight unless they would match me Platinum
+ They replied (very quickly) saying that they could only match me Gold and apologised. Given I have no interest in two OneWorld status' I will not pursue this and credit these flights to BA instead.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:13 pm

If MA upgrades you through a status match to a level higher than their lowest level, does that mean that you get a greater number of miles for your MA segment on your preferred frequent flyer airline ( in this case AA) ?
If the answer is no: the main reason you try for Duna membership status match is possible upgrade on MA seats and club entry?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 8:35 am

Apart from flying back to BUD from either Paris or Zurich, does anyone know any other cheaper router ex either of those two places i could fly to with Malev?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Simmo
Apart from flying back to BUD from either Paris or Zurich, does anyone know any other cheaper router ex either of those two places i could fly to with Malev?
Milan was cheapest the last I booked.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, A3*G
How often do they run such campaigns or is it just a one-off?

Hi all,

Could anyone tell: How often do they run status match campaigns or do you reckon it is just a one off?
Recently re-qualified as *G and would rather have it matched towards the end of the membership year (October 2011).
Any suggestions/ideas/recollections of previous campaigns?
Thanks

Last edited by ozon78; Oct 31, 2010 at 11:37 pm
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ozon78
Could anyone tell how often do they run status match campaigns or do you reckon it it just a one off?
Recently re-qualified as *G and would rather have it matched towards the end of the membership year (October 2011).
IIUC, Malev's FFP runs on a calendar year basis, which means it probably won't make any difference if you get your match early in 2011 or later. I too am waiting to see if the status match promo is extended into the new year.

cheers,

Henry
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, A3*G
Originally Posted by henry999
IIUC, Malev's FFP runs on a calendar year basis, which means it probably won't make any difference if you get your match early in 2011 or later. I too am waiting to see if the status match promo is extended into the new year.

cheers,

Henry
Thanks, Henry.
Tempting: was thinking of spending a weekend in Bud 19-21 Nov: but the fare's gone up from 102 to 240 quid overnight....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.