Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

LIM-MAD-GIG on Iberia, GIG-MIA-ORD on AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

First off, using BA miles for most of this trip. Already booked ORD-MIA-LIM in J using AA miles. Planning on booking a LIM-CUZ-LIM rdtrip with AA miles on LAN to do the Machu Picchu hike. Where I go from LIM is up in the air, but here is what I was thinking:

LIM-MAD (stopover)-GIG (stopover)-MIA-ORD. Iberia has flights from Lima - other cites in South America (Rio, Buenos, Santiago) but they all connect in Madrid.

I'm pretty sure that if booked through BA, you're allowed unlimited stopovers even on partner airlines. I guess my main question is the amount of mileage necessary for a LIM-MAD-GIG one way + GIG-MIA-ORD. It looks like a south america -> south america one way flight to me; and then a South america - North America one way. BA lists a SA-SA roundtrip as 25k miles in economy and SA-NA roudntrip as 40k in economy. Should I assume that my routing above would be 12.5k miles + 20k miles = 32.5k overall in economy?

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_us
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I very much doubt that BA will let you connect in Europe on a S.A. to S.A. award. To do so would allow travelers to fly an open-jaw roundtrip between S.A. and Europe for the cost of a one-way S.A. to S.A. award.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by ken7
I guess my main question is the amount of mileage necessary for a LIM-MAD-GIG one way + GIG-MIA-ORD. It looks like a south america -> south america one way flight to me; and then a South america - North America one way. BA lists a SA-SA roundtrip as 25k miles in economy and SA-NA roudntrip as 40k in economy. Should I assume that my routing above would be 12.5k miles + 20k miles = 32.5k overall in economy?

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_us
LIM-MAD-GIG is a South America/Europe return journey = 70,000 BA Miles in Y.
GIG-MIA-ORD should be 50% of 40,000 = 20,000 again in Y.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Out of curiosity, I made a test booking LIM-GIG
and when you get to the "Add Partners" point,
it only lists Lan Chile, and no availability at that.

So I don't thuink you are going via Madrid !
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
I very much doubt that BA will let you connect in Europe on a S.A. to S.A. award. To do so would allow travelers to fly an open-jaw roundtrip between S.A. and Europe for the cost of a one-way S.A. to S.A. award.
I would normally agree, but I called BAEC and used the automated prompt to try to book a flight from LIM-GIG. The first option they gave was on Iberia, LIM-MAD-LHR-GIG. It connects in Europe, but if you ask me it's a SA-SA award, because that's what I was trying for.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I would normally agree, but I called BAEC and used the automated prompt to try to book a flight from LIM-GIG. The first option they gave was on Iberia, LIM-MAD-LHR-GIG. It connects in Europe, but if you ask me it's a SA-SA award, because that's what I was trying for.
Good luck with that.

While you are normally allowed stopovers on BA miles bookings the stopovers can only occur at connecting points on the most direct routing.
13.8. There are no charges for stopovers included in an Award itinerary. Where stopovers are at connecting points on the most direct route between origin and destination.
In any event you will probably be better off asking for advice using BA miles on the BA forum. There have been a number of threads over the years discussing most direct routing.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Apr 2, 2010 at 2:22 pm
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Good luck with that.

While you are normally allowed stopovers on BA miles bookings the stopovers can only occur at connecting points on the most direct routing.

In any event you will probably be better off asking for advice using BA miles on the BA forum. They have been a number of threads over the years discussing most direct routing.
I completely agree, but was taken aback when the first option offered for award seats LIM-GIG was through MAD and LHR on Iberia. I'll investigate and see what I find out, just wanted to know if anyone had experience with something like that. It wasn't a flight that I had conjured up, but the first one offered by the automated BAEC award flight chooser.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
While at it you can ask them is EWR-JFK with some stopovers spread out around the globe is considered a US domestic award...
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:13 pm

I'll investigate and see what I find out, just wanted to know if anyone had experience with something like that.
While I would agree that it sounds far fetched, it is not a completely ridiculous idea.

I recall reading a while back in the UA forum about people booking PVG - HKG awards for 20K miles in Y, with a connection in ORD. I don't believe that they were allowed a stopover in ORD though.

Let us know the results of your investigation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.